Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 09:10 PM

755 posts, read 1,120,811 times

Advertisements

They make a huge difference.

I'm wondering--all this time did you think people installed ceiling fans as a style preference?

I absolutely hate the look of fans in most rooms (there are some ceiling/decor styles that look good with fans, but not most imo). But I have a hard time removing them as they do make such a big difference and can save A LOT of electricity over A/C alone. I also prefer the feel of moving air over simply chilled air for whatever reason.

But they sure are ugly.

IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 09:14 PM

129 posts, read 187,558 times
Yup. Ceiling fans in every room, including kitchen and office. I've even seen them in garages & patios. We have remote control ones in the bedrooms. We don't use the AC, from Oct thru April, at all.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:16 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
We have ceiling fans in every room, even on the patio out back...wouldn't live without them.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,186,205 times
Still, anything above 77 I have a hard time tolerating even with ceiling fans. I've tried but then my quality of life goes down a lot, it's just not worth it for me. Unfortunately I pay for it at the end of the month but so what.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:58 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,280,319 times
Ceiling fans--two thumbs up.

I also have three tower fans, and somebody asked if the tower was just a fan or an A/C unit because the air coming out of it feels quite cool!

I really like my fan club.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:02 PM

480 posts, read 846,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
But they sure are ugly.

IMO.
I think if you spend a bit, you can get nice looking fans.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:39 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,923,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I'm just poking some fun at myself here but you guys know how I always complained how our house is always hot and we basically have to run the AC year round?

Guess I was missing ceiling fans.

Just installed one in my home office room and wow what a difference (well duh, right? ). Even though the desktop thermometer still says 80º on it (about 5' behind my chair), I feel perfectly fine with the fan set on speed 2 (out of 4 speeds), cool even. Yesterday I ran the A/C for 30 minutes between 4:30 - 6:00 to be comfortable, today none at all.

Best part is that this fan uses 18.3 watts on speed 2. That literally comes out to $0.001/hour off-peak and $0.003/hour on-peak. Say I run the fan from 10am - 6pm everyday, all year long, that would be a cost of $7.30 for the WHOLE year. Pretty crazy. The low speed is half that.

So...how does this relate to the Phoenix forum? People moving here...BUY CEILING FANS!
That's funny. I thought everybody had ceiling fans. The house I put an offer on yesterday has fans in every room and two in the dining room/family room area. The house also has both swamp cooler and AC. My old house had both but I hardly ever used the AC. I admit it isn't QUITE as hot up here in summer but hot is hot! Last year I ran my fans 24/7 from April to Oct. and I keep my thermostat right around 80. Coming into an 80 degree house from over 100 outside actually feels pretty good!

Old 02-14-2015, 03:11 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,957,761 times
We only had one fan installed in the whole house up to now, and it was in the den that never gets used, so more decorative than anything...looks like this...

I don't find fans ugly like someone else mentioned, if they go with the room. The one I put in my home office looks like this, and the bronze color matches the door handles/hinges on the interior doors.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:13 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
I'm curious as to how long you have lived here not knowing ceiling fans make a huge difference? I didn't know it was possible to not know this living in the valley.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:16 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,957,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm curious as to how long you have lived here not knowing ceiling fans make a huge difference? I didn't know it was possible to not know this living in the valley.
Um..23 years?

We had a fan in our master bedroom at the old house but didn't like using it at night because it makes my nose all stuffed up for some reason, dry it out I guess.

Even this fan will take some getting used to as it dries out my eyes and make them sting a little it seems...I think I'll get used to it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area