Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 08:53 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,257,529 times

Advertisements

My wife says that after three days, houseguests are like fish: they start to smell.
Having said that, I do like the snowbirds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,993,132 times
I made the mistake of going to Kierland Commons on Sunday. Every other plate was out-of-state, restaurants were all full, and I witnessed a few near-accidents caused by geriatric Canadians (Alberta plates on both cars). hahaha May cant come soon enough!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:16 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,634,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealleyplace View Post
Considering a move to Arizona myself, I've spent some time looking at the C-D forums for both Phoenix and Prescott. Interestingly, I've seen complaints on the Prescott forum about Phoenix residents jamming up Prescott during the summer. Oh by the way, I'm from eastern Montana and haven't turned the A/C on for two years. Don't ask me about winter.
It's a reverse-snowbird fact of life.

The people in smaller, upper-elevation towns around Arizona don't greatly appreciate the (let's call them "sunbird tourists") coming in droves from the "valley areas" into their wonderful little towns and villages, especially when they degenerate into complaint-mode!

They expect life up there to be as exceptionally wonderful in all phases as down below, and they will have a meltdown if lines are slow... or if traffic is slow... or if anything else fails to meet their immediate requirements.

Go figure.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:41 AM

480 posts, read 848,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
If you think that traffic is ever really "bad" anywhere around here, you have not seen what real traffic looks like. Even at its most crowded I'd far more deal with the traffic out here than in Austin, LA or any number of other places. For the benefits that the snowbird's provide, for the amount of money that they spend and helping largely to prop up the economy, they can stay for as long as they want.
^^^^ This

Nobody who has been stuck in traffic ever says, "hey, that was so awesome, compared to what it would have been like in [fill in your favorite nightmarish traffic spot]." Traffic just sucks.

It doesn't deny anyone's pain to point out that it could be worse, but it's the answer most likely to get pushback.

I think if someone wants to claim that the snowbird traffic is the only terrible traffic here, meh. If someone wants to say it's worse in LA, or the 405 north of San Diego, or whatever, meh. Someone out there thinks rush hour in Boise is the worst ever. It's all good. LOL

Cmon back next year too, snowbirds. Bring your friends.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:13 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,602,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Let's talk about apples to apples. If you drive your car (not the Mesothelioma Express) to Texas, do you have to stop at the Texas DMV and get a new license? No.

Did you cause a fatal collision within 2 years? I doubt it. But you just graduated from the highest risk age group < 24 years, recently.

I mean, I'm all for more strict licensing requirements, but being fair is a good start.
The Mesothelioma Express..........I LOVE IT!! My work trailer just got a nickname LOL.

Nah I get what your saying, I was just tossing ideas out there. I was tossing around the idea that, a fair method would be to require all people who reside here x amount of months a year (like 3), to get a license here, and pass our test... or something like that is where I was attempting to go with that.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:18 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,602,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
^^^^ This

Nobody who has been stuck in traffic ever says, "hey, that was so awesome, compared to what it would have been like in [fill in your favorite nightmarish traffic spot]." Traffic just sucks.

It doesn't deny anyone's pain to point out that it could be worse, but it's the answer most likely to get pushback.

I think if someone wants to claim that the snowbird traffic is the only terrible traffic here, meh. If someone wants to say it's worse in LA, or the 405 north of San Diego, or whatever, meh. Someone out there thinks rush hour in Boise is the worst ever. It's all good. LOL

Cmon back next year too, snowbirds. Bring your friends.
Traffics so bad to me here because I spend so much time in it I guess. But, last year I did a trip to Orange County to visit a friend, I was in traffic for over 4 hours, from like Beaumont all the way to San Clemente. And this was at like 9PM I started getting into town. Great LA Area traffic is the worst without a doubt. Thankfully I don't live out there. Next time I go to San Clemente, I8 through SD and up the 5 is the only way I'll do it. I'll drive a bunch more miles but save hours.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:57 PM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
The Mesothelioma Express..........I LOVE IT!! My work trailer just got a nickname LOL.

Nah I get what your saying, I was just tossing ideas out there. I was tossing around the idea that, a fair method would be to require all people who reside here x amount of months a year (like 3), to get a license here, and pass our test... or something like that is where I was attempting to go with that.
I don't see any need to make them get drivers' licenses. Our laws are pretty much the same as any other place and the drivers here come from all over anyway. What I would like to see is more clever ways to separate them from their money like they do to us when we go visit "back east". Charge them more for camping spots, more to launch their boats, "conservation fees" that are higher for non-residents, and traffic tickets for the slightest of violations. Stick 'em royally whenever we can. Places like Michigan have this down to an art form in taking dollars out of the pockets from those from Illinois. The whole of northern Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan is a tourist trap. So is B.C. in Canada. Arizona, on the other hand, does practically nothing to profit from their presence (the state I mean, the hotels and car rentals do rip them off good).

Old 03-02-2015, 03:23 PM

518 posts, read 874,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't see any need to make them get drivers' licenses. Our laws are pretty much the same as any other place and the drivers here come from all over anyway. What I would like to see is more clever ways to separate them from their money like they do to us when we go visit "back east". Charge them more for camping spots, more to launch their boats, "conservation fees" that are higher for non-residents, and traffic tickets for the slightest of violations. Stick 'em royally whenever we can. Places like Michigan have this down to an art form in taking dollars out of the pockets from those from Illinois. The whole of northern Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan is a tourist trap. So is B.C. in Canada. Arizona, on the other hand, does practically nothing to profit from their presence (the state I mean, the hotels and car rentals do rip them off good).
So trying to "stick em royally whenever we can" is your idea?

We don't need to institute some scheme to ripoff visitors and seniors. That's just not cool.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:43 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,526,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We don't stop the residents for enough violations. Having the law enforcement officers we have on the road (which many say are too few) focus on out of state plates (and not all snowbirds HAVE out of state plates) in order to "stick it to them" for driving too slow or a Calfifornia stop or a failure to use a signal? Please, no.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:09 PM

386 posts, read 328,560 times
The Canadians are not very good tippers as a whole. Do they tip in Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area