Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:28 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,986,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's not irony; it is the inevitability of aging. I did my time here in Arizona. I came here as an early 20-something, attended college here, made a career right here, paid my taxes, raised my kids, and bade my time waiting for the day when I could enjoy what the state has to offer. But the carpetbagging retirees who gave their time, talents and money to other states have swarmed over those places, have driven politics off the right side of the road, and turned my state into a joke while destroying the economy by turning off younger people, scaring away immigrants, and discouraging corporations from locating anything but warehouses here. Frankly, I think that while less of them at all costs may be too extreme, fewer of them at some cost would be a deal I would jump at.
I see you finally saw the light ... from what I've been saying since 2008. You're become even more extreme than I however. Congrats, better late than never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 02:24 PM

518 posts, read 873,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Phoenix comes up short in areas that a lot of people who live in Chicago never, ever make use of in the first place. It's the same thing with New York people; you talk to them, they brag about how they miss all of the amenities, then you find out after a while that they live 40 miles away in a far suburb, and only go to the city once or twice a year; less than a lot of tourists who vacation there. But they suddenly miss the amenities.
Yep bragging about things you never (or rarely) choose to take advantage of in the first place. East Coasters are great at that. They miss the world famous pizza that they drove/took the train an hour to get to... twice. Or the Jersey Shore.... even though they haven't made it to the beach in a couple years.

Sensationalizing and dramatizing about missing things you really don't care about much in the first place!

Old 03-04-2015, 02:28 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,998,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Now, now... if you notice, most of the people who respond to snowbird threads do so with tongue firmly in cheek. Total sarcasm, that is. Not hostility. Hostile ones we have in every state. Me? I'm somewhere in between!

See? You're not even part of Arizona's problem!

Many lifelong Arizonans miss the times before the great snowbird incursions.

Are you saying NM is hostile towards it's snowbirds, and they all left?
No, for some reason New Mexico doesn't attract people like Arizona does, not quite sure what it is, maybe because it's not as close to Vegas and L.A.?

Old 03-04-2015, 02:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,674,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
No, for some reason New Mexico doesn't attract people like Arizona does, not quite sure what it is, maybe because it's not as close to Vegas and L.A.?
It's because it's way colder.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:32 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,998,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Phoenix comes up short in areas that a lot of people who live in Chicago never, ever make use of in the first place. It's the same thing with New York people; you talk to them, they brag about how they miss all of the amenities, then you find out after a while that they live 40 miles away in a far suburb, and only go to the city once or twice a year; less than a lot of tourists who vacation there. But they suddenly miss the amenities.

I lived in Lake Forest, which is as nice as any community can get, so much that every time I am back there, it seems like a parody. But even then I remember people having this weird thing, sort of like New Yorkers, that made them talk about everything that Chicago has to offer, even though they virtually never ventured down to the city.

I think it's exactly the opposite phenomenon when people move to Phoenix and complain that it's boring and has all chain restaurants and big box stores. You can travel the entire United States and claim the same thing about many suburban areas around any city.
Sure is, Lake Forest is almost a little overwhelming with all of the major houses you see passing through. I'm only about 15 miles from Lake Forest and often use their Metra Station to go to the city. Can't speak for Lake Forest residents but I try to go 1-2 times a month if I can make it, so much more in the city than the suburbs.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:56 PM

518 posts, read 873,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
They might get more Texans than us.

As said it is colder (especially ALBQ)

But I think the bigger issue is NM is simply a poorer state that lacks the infrastructure and amenities etc. that many transplants want. Albuquerque is more old west southwestern feeling. Many people love that but some prefer the shiny newness, abundant amenities, and of course warmer weather that Phx gets.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
The Canadians are not very good tippers as a whole. Do they tip in Canada?
Yes and no. I've always heard that they don't. They ARE aware that Americans tip because tourists who don't know better do tip in Canada. Canadian food servers are, supposedly, paid enough per hour that they don't accept tips. When I worked at a resort in Alaska we had MANY Canadian tourists. Some tipped and some didn't. I think it was because of that we were paid $5.25 hour server wages. Sure beat the heck out of the $2.17 hour I made here and didn't hurt quite as bad when they didn't tip.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:03 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I made the mistake of going to Kierland Commons on Sunday. Every other plate was out-of-state, restaurants were all full, and I witnessed a few near-accidents caused by geriatric Canadians (Alberta plates on both cars). hahaha May cant come soon enough!
What you get for living in the "big city"...lol We get them up here too but I think we get more out of staters than Canadians. When I worked in the motels we had a lot of Canadians fly in and rent cars so how would we know where they were from on the road? The last car I rented up here had Nevada plates on it. I was self conscious driving it. lol

Old 03-04-2015, 05:13 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,624,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
They might get more Texans than us.

As said it is colder (especially ALBQ)

But I think the bigger issue is NM is simply a poorer state that lacks the infrastructure and amenities etc. that many transplants want. Albuquerque is more old west southwestern feeling. Many people love that but some prefer the shiny newness, abundant amenities, and of course warmer weather that Phx gets.
Yep, no offense to NM, but I rarely see much of anything worth digging in and planting roots for anywhere in that cold & dreary state.

Too, uh... cold & dreary for me. Also, too many long, cold & dreary stretches of nothingness in between cold & dreary little towns.

Give me warm & hot, exciting Arizona anytime!

Old 03-04-2015, 07:50 PM

498 posts, read 544,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Yes and no. I've always heard that they don't. They ARE aware that Americans tip because tourists who don't know better do tip in Canada. Canadian food servers are, supposedly, paid enough per hour that they don't accept tips. When I worked at a resort in Alaska we had MANY Canadian tourists. Some tipped and some didn't. I think it was because of that we were paid $5.25 hour server wages. Sure beat the heck out of the $2.17 hour I made here and didn't hurt quite as bad when they didn't tip.

Canadians tip...everywhere in Canada .

There are cheapskates in every country just because a few people in AZ working tables got skinned they think 35 000 000 are all the same. Makes me wonder how servers know everyone is Canadian? I have a US bank account and a US funds credit card.

End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area