Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:30 PM

416 posts, read 589,980 times

Advertisements

I'll agree that living in Tempe is surely a viable option... but what OnceIsEnough doesn't tell you about that area of North Tempe is that it's all ASU (true of everything north of Broadway, anymore), and anything even close to the river bottom will get jet noise from the airport. In fact, Marlborough Park is ten minutes from the airport, and no more than a mile north of the Salt River - so no, I wouldn't even look there. You'd have to go into Scottsdale to go to a decent grocery store, fer criminy sakes.

Now, to be fair, I personally ADORE Papago Park itself (to the point that many years ago we did look at Marlborough Park) and always have, but all the new high density dwellings and the monster growth of ASU that has turned a lot of North Tempe into Rentalville has not helped an already problematic area. It's not somewhere I'd move to, honestly - north Tempe's heyday as "family friendly" is past.

Honestly, TXNative? If you consider Tempe - and you should - your daughter would be much better off in the Kyrene school district, and you'd be a lot happier house-wise if you stay around Tempe's 85283/85284 (south of the 60).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 05:53 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceIsEnough View Post
North Tempe puts you within spittin' distance of the office. I recommend looking at the community of Marlborough Park Estates, directly across from Papago Park and dern near everything else!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
I'll agree that living in Tempe is surely a viable option... but what OnceIsEnough doesn't tell you about that area of North Tempe is that it's all ASU (true of everything north of Broadway, anymore), and anything even close to the river bottom will get jet noise from the airport. In fact, Marlborough Park is ten minutes from the airport, and no more than a mile north of the Salt River - so no, I wouldn't even look there. You'd have to go into Scottsdale to go to a decent grocery store, fer criminy sakes.

Now, to be fair, I personally ADORE Papago Park itself (to the point that many years ago we did look at Marlborough Park) and always have, but all the new high density dwellings and the monster growth of ASU that has turned a lot of North Tempe into Rentalville has not helped an already problematic area. It's not somewhere I'd move to, honestly - north Tempe's heyday as "family friendly" is past.

Honestly, TXNative? If you consider Tempe - and you should - your daughter would be much better off in the Kyrene school district, and you'd be a lot happier house-wise if you stay around Tempe's 85283/85284 (south of the 60).
Agree with Leaving Arizona on this one. For what the OP is looking for in terms of schools, etc, and a more family oriented, and quieter, environment, south Tempe is a far better option.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,592 times
Thank you all for the great information. I definitely have not written Tempe off and have several houses in Tempe on our list to see whenwe go house hunting in person.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:51 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,509,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Well why not Tempe itself? South Tempe/West Chandler/Ahwatukee area great areas and have some of the better schools in the Valley in the Kyrene school district. Plus, all the amenities you can ask for.
This is the best suggestion, and just what I was thinking.

The OP's budget opens lots of doors to some very nice areas, and I would even add the Ocotillo area of Chandler as a place to search for homes.

The only problem might be the commute, traffic can be a headache in the morning and afternoon crush times, even driving from Ahwatukee or south Tempe to northern Tempe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area