Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,366,512 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I live in LA now, but it's getting pretty expensive out here for everything and I would like to slow down my life a bit. I don't want any realtor pressure because I'm justing curious as to what is out there in the rest of the country.

Schools and safety are the most important aspect of where I live. We could afford a 3bed home or more for under 1 million, preferably with a pool. Any ideas on areas and zip codes we should check out? I've hear good things about Scottsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 PM

194 posts, read 325,953 times
With that budget you won't have a problem finding what you are looking for. Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Litchfield Park, Cave Creek and Carefree are all great places to live with good schools IMO.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
I would also try Marley Park in Surprise. You could pick up a lot of home for that price range with there largest lot. They have some amazing homes. The schools are all newer and at Marley Park there is a community club house with a really cool childrens area with computers and home work help. To give you an example for $480 thousand you could pick up a 4,200 square foot home with a fairly remarkable interior. Something in that range would easily cost over $1 million in Ventura County.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:42 AM

682 posts, read 2,567,983 times
Scottsdale zip code 85262 is still appreciating and the homes would be within your price range and above. There are some really stunning areas with terrific views there.

altus2006

Old 01-15-2008, 07:48 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,175,309 times
Scottsdale for sure. It's the only area that has stayed strong and actually appreciated 1% while other areas depreciated by 7-8%. I would look around Hayden and south of Shea, and also areas more north.

You won't find much in Paradise Valley for under a million. Pretty much everything starts at $1mil.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 AM

194 posts, read 325,953 times
You're probably right about PV sablebaby. I took it to mean around 1 million I guess. There are some areas that are in the PV school district that are under 1 mil, but they aren't in PV itself.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,788,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Hey everyone. I live in LA now, but it's getting pretty expensive out here for everything and I would like to slow down my life a bit. I don't want any realtor pressure because I'm justing curious as to what is out there in the rest of the country.

Schools and safety are the most important aspect of where I live. We could afford a 3bed home or more for under 1 million, preferably with a pool. Any ideas on areas and zip codes we should check out? I've hear good things about Scottsdale.
Jesse, you need to consider where you will be working, because the commute, while not like LA, can be challenging.

You also need to consider your life style. Do you want an area with horse properties, lake front, gated community, golf community, lush green landscape, desert landscape, etc.

You have a wide range to choose from. It's a matter of learning about some of the areas, the types of housing and activities in the area, and then consider the house.

In the Val Vista Lakes area where I live, for just under a million, you can have a ~4000 square ft home on the water in a gated community with lush green landscape. This is in Gilbert which is a family oriented city with great schools, and a great police department. There are lots of activities for children. This is in the east valley about 30 minutes (not commute hour) from central Phoenix.

In north Scottsdale, which is to the northeast of Phoenix, a 4000 sq ft home will run a little more than in Gilbert. Most all of the landscape in Scottsdale is desert landscape.

There are some really neat communities in north Scottsdale, in addition to the larger Troon North golf community.

Both the Scottsdale and Gilbert areas are great places to live. You just have to see them and some other areas in order to decide.

Below are web sites for two areas just to give you an idea.

Troon North Scottsdale

Val Vista Lakes - Your Community Gilbert

Some of the clients I work with are relocating here from states in the north and the north east. I send them information on areas and homes, and they find homes on Realtor.com. Then I check the homes and the areas out for them. It works out really well for them, and saves them a lot of time.

We relocated here from the San Francisco area 4 years ago, and while we do miss going into San Francisco, we would never consider moving back. We love it here.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:17 AM

124 posts, read 477,377 times
I was going to type an answer...but Captain Bill pretty much said it all lol. Make sure you do your homework before you go out looking at homes

Old 01-15-2008, 01:19 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,165,215 times
In Anthem, you can get a nice 4200 sq ft, 5BR, 4.5BA, 4 car garage home in a gated country club community. Large, open kitchen/FR, granite, SS appliances, with or without private pool, nice mountain views. 2 private golf courses, each with its own country club.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:46 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,175,309 times
My other thought would be Arrowhead Lakes up in North Glendale. You can find a very nice home on the lake. It would be about 4000sf for just under $1mil. It's a beautiful area!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area