Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 4,425 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

Our Family is relocating to the area this summer. I have 7,8,9 graders. All Honors programs and active in Band and Sports. Suggestions? neighborhoods?
We have researched School Digger and Great schools and there are soo many options. Would like actual opinions. We are open...Opinions on Highland? new school Casteel?
I keep reading about the budget crisis. Is it effecting all districts? Is one in more trouble than another?
Thanks for input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 09:36 AM

639 posts, read 972,091 times
There have been quite a few threads about Gilbert schools lately...you may want to also search google to determine if that is the best district for you to be in. The town is nice, the district has some issues.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:20 AM

Thank you for your time to reply. I have been reading a lot, just trying to discern. Sometimes things that are written are true to fact, others seem to be a bit embellished. Since we are relocating cross country have to seek info without having the time to be local and discern the best for the kiddos

Old 03-28-2015, 11:35 AM

639 posts, read 972,091 times
I understand, we were in the same position. The vast majority of what you are reading on this board in terms of Gilbert school district, is pretty factual.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:37 AM

397 posts, read 602,786 times
The budget reduction was from the state so every school district is affected. But some districts are in better shape than others.

We quickly crossed Gilbert off of our list because of the drama with the school board. Some of what has been written online is surely exaggerated but we felt there was no reason to risk Gilbert when Chandler was right next door.

Coming from far away, CUSD is a much safer bet as long as you are south of the 202.

You might also want to consider the school year. Gilbert is on a traditional schedule while CUSD is on a modified year round schedule. We love the year round schedule but some families prefer the traditional schedule.

ETA, all of South Chandler (south of the 202) is nice and all of the CUSD schools south of the 202 are good. So you don't need to worry about the schools when selecting a neighborhood so you should choose based on your commute and your budget. Also remember that the school districts here don't match up the city boundaries. There are neighborhoods with Gilbert addresses that are in CUSD.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:51 AM

Thank you for the information. Its appreciated

Old 04-01-2015, 07:41 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Casteel is not open yet, so there is no data on it. Although that school is in Queen Creek (I think), it is in the Chandler Unified district and thus does not have the Gilbert issues. It will be a grades 7-12 school which is new to me. Hamilton high is one of the best schools in the state regardless of private or public, Basha and Perry rate high as well.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:53 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
I graduated from Highland a LONG time ago. When I went, it was a great school. Although there was not a lot of diversity, which seemed to be the only real complaint.

My kids go to Gilbert Public Schools now and I think they are getting a great education. Most of the school board drama you see is posted by people with a motive of some kind.

Most of the teachers I had at Highland well over a decade ago are still there, so I am assuming they are happy!

Old 04-01-2015, 12:44 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
You should also add the Higley district to your list. They are a highly performing district and haven't been facing the management issues that the Gilbert district has been facing. Also, Higley will be moving to a modified year-round calendar like the Chandler district.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 PM

397 posts, read 602,786 times
When coming from out of state, one way to gauge a district's support for education is whether they've supported the override. I'm still a little confused about what the override is but as I understand it, it's a local tax that makes up for money that doesn't come from the state.

Higley and Gilbert voters keep voting it down while Kyrene and CUSD voters passed their overrides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area