Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:18 PM

14 posts, read 41,429 times

Advertisements

My wife and I spent this weekend exploring the area. From Tucson to lake havasu and everything in between. We had a great night out in downtown Scottsdale and really didn't notice the heat as much as we thought.

Currently we live on 35 acres just south of Denver. This issue we are finding is a "horse property" in Arizona seems to be 5 acres and less. What I need help with is where are the larger properties that are not too far out. Let's say a 90min drive to the city at most.

We looked in the Buckeye area as well as Cave Creek. We didn't venture too far east past Scottsdale however so I wonder if that would be the area. Not looking for cold winters anymore so the higher elevations are of no interest.

Any help on pointing us in the right direction would be great

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 06:28 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
I think you were in the right area if you were in Buckeye. Advantage there is that you can get pasture. The areas east of Scottsdale like Rio Verde will have horse properties, but likely not as large as you are used to, and the land will be pricey. What is "larger" to you, and what is your budget?

Old 03-29-2015, 07:58 PM

We honestly do not use the full 35, but at least 20 would be nice. My wife and daughter use it for horses and I would like a shop for my car hobby.

Looking to stay under 900k, but do realize the cost difference in areas can change total land/house size.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramutt View Post
We honestly do not use the full 35, but at least 20 would be nice. My wife and daughter use it for horses and I would like a shop for my car hobby.

Looking to stay under 900k, but do realize the cost difference in areas can change total land/house size.

That could be a tall order in most areas, and not a common find in terms of the size. Talk to the realtor I sent you the DM about, and see what suggestions he has.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:37 AM

13,273 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Check the town of Waddell, AZ land is irrigated cost is $100 a year your not going to find 20 acres for under 1 million unless you go at least 1 hour outside of metro phoenix and that land will be dry desert. If you pull up Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US plug in this address 17719 W Ocotillo Rd Waddell, AZ 85355 these are they type of homes there.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:00 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
This really is not the place for acreage. If you look at a map of public lands, you will see why. Much of AZ is public land. What is not around the Phoenix area is part of huge agricultural operations or remote areas far from roads without electric service. Colorado too has a lot of public land, but very little of that is east of the mountains which is why you can find the big spreads there.

While the public lands means you can't own it, you can use it. This is horse country at its finest, with millions of acres of open public lands to ride. You may have to trailer to it, though.

Having said all that, if I had a horse and a trailer, wanted a little land close enough to the big city for the occasional trip to town, but far enough away to have a real small town/rural lifestyle, and minutes from good riding, Wickenburg would be my choice hands down.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 AM

I see that 5 acres is probably more what we are looking at. Honestly with all the flat useable land it might be enough. A couple I am looking at online look to make good use of the space.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:24 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
If you want a little closer Phoenix, check out Dean Road between MC85 and Beloat Road in Buckeye. There are some really nice homes in there. People have horses and other livestock as well. I would love to live there myself. I drove by yesterday and there are some lots available just north of Beloat. I don't know if you might find a resale. People in such places tend to put down roots.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
I believe there's a section that might fit what you're looking for. It's located just off the corner of Cotton/Northern, on Cotton. I drove by the other day and saw a sign that listed the section @ $250k or buy one of several subdivided lots.

There is another I know of that is 5 acres in a good,quiet area close to 303/Olive/Cotton for $300k/Offer. 17425 W. Mountain View Rd, Waddell.

Subdivisions are being built/have been built around the area so services are available and "I" think land prices will be increasing over the next several years as building continues. Schools are good, still a real rural feel to the area.
If I had the $$$ I'd certainly entertain the idea of building somewhere around there.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:54 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,177,644 times
Wickenburg is the most likely place to find what you are looking for.

You were not clear on whether you wanted vacant land or a property that already has a house on it, but either way Wickenburg has both. You can get 5-10 acres with house or land 10+ acres.

Wickenburg has a nice town with shopping, dining, a hospital, etc. for daily use and you are only 45 minutes to Surprise, 60 minutes to Cave Creek/N. Scottsdale and reasonable drive to central Phoenix and Prescott.

Check out Wickenburg.

And, Prescott Valley/Dewey/Mayer might work also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area