Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:12 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,550 times

Advertisements

I would advise the OP against Phoenix. It's not the city that attracts young people looking for the best career opportunities, which results in a higher percentage of folks who are perfectly happy with mediocre careers in exchange for access to vast outdoor opportunities.

That's actually the biggest gripe my friends have about Arizona- lack of ambitiousness among the young people in their 20-30s.

Also, the "competition" is stiff- lots of sweet, down to earth, good-looking women in the East and West Valleys, and lots of model-type women in Scottsdale.

If I were you I'd consider California, (OC, LA or SFO).

Last edited by Flavia84; 04-01-2015 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:00 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Datingadvice.com just name Tempe as the top college town for dating in the US.

22 Best College Towns for Dating | DatingAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2015, 09:36 AM

I don't think the OP is looking for the kind of dating scene that Tempe/ASU has to offer.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 8,007 times
Old Town Scottsdale by far. I have lived in Tempe which was cool right after I graduated from UA in Tucson but it's a college town and Mill Ave gets old fast. I used to work in Gilbert and we had a few young ladies from Mesa and Chandler that worked in the office, I would stay away from those areas in the east side if your top priority is a dating scene. A lot of uneducated folks, single mothers, all hate Scottsdale because it is full of Snobs. By Snobs, what they really meant is it is full of young professionals that have a Bachelors Degree or higher and come from all over the country because they found a good job. I recently moved up to Old Town and absolutely love it. Tons of bars, restaurants, festivals and events, coed sports, it's a great area. Does it get old after a while? Yes! But the only other spots I would consider being a single 29 year old male that works in North Phoenix would be Central or North Scottsdale.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:52 AM

43 posts, read 48,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybx13 View Post
Seems like all the men I meet here where I live are all too young.. Think they're entitiled to everything .. On and off with school.. Take shirtless selfies in gym bathroom mirrors ..
Yeah that sounds like Old Town Scottsdale! If you're looking to meet people at bars, IMO Old Town gets old really quick. In general it's a shallower crowd. Central Phoenix is more down-to-earth, and Tempe is your typical college town. If I was just moving here I'd look into some activities like MeetUp (they have informal groups for just about every activity), or WAKA (kickball league that's filled with people in their 20s - early 30s).

Old 04-01-2015, 11:40 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,178 times
Emily, for starters, you are very wise to recognize that the dating scene varies tremendously with geography. That puts you miles ahead of most people your age and you are asking wise questions.

I have lived several places, and can tell you with absolute certainty, that the ratio in Phoenix favors you tremendously. And when it comes to dating options...ratio is everything. Anyone who says differently is lying or selling something (same thing).

Men moved to Phoenix by the hundreds of thousands for warmer weather, year round golf, mountain biking, auto auctions, spring training...you name it. While their sister and ex wife stayed back in New York where the weather sucks, but at least Mom and Grandma are close by. Move here. You will never regret it.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:42 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,708 times
Go to lifetime fitness on Scottsdale. It's a higher end gym.... the women in their..WOW

Locker room is always full of people putting on suits in the morning.

Skip the bar scene, go to the gym.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Emily, for starters, you are very wise to recognize that the dating scene varies tremendously with geography. That puts you miles ahead of most people your age and you are asking wise questions.

I have lived several places, and can tell you with absolute certainty, that the ratio in Phoenix favors you tremendously. And when it comes to dating options...ratio is everything. Anyone who says differently is lying or selling something (same thing).

Men moved to Phoenix by the hundreds of thousands for warmer weather, year round golf, mountain biking, auto auctions, spring training...you name it. While their sister and ex wife stayed back in New York where the weather sucks, but at least Mom and Grandma are close by. Move here. You will never regret it.
Sounds like you want her to move to Phoenix for selfish purposes, don't you?

The highlighted part is EXACTLY why a lot of people come here. They're not here to attend an Ivy League school or for opportunities to work for a Fortune 500 company. People here to relax and enjoy life which is all good if you value the same thing. But if you are looking for a place where businessmen and businesswomen are running around in sharp suits and power ties and louboutins and all, a la New York City, you'll be disappointed. Like I said, I see the OP in SFO, LA, OC . Not Phoenix.

As far as the ratio goes, I too disagree. I lived in Menver where the ratio of men to women is one of the highest in the country. Alas, I have no interest in mountain men, ski bums and hipsters. So the ratio for me personally was poor. Sounds like the Op would be in a similar predicament in Arizona.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:30 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,456,695 times
There is an oversupply of males relative to females between ages 18-39 in pretty much every major American city. So Emily the OP should do just fine, especially if she is attractive.

She would only need to show up to Old Town Scottsdale bars 2-3 nights in her first week or two in the city to have two months worth of dates if she wanted to find a decent man. Some of these men would not be good fits for her, but she can easily find quantity.

She'd find men at fitness classes, the grocery store, the medical office where she works.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
There is an oversupply of males relative to females between ages 18-39 in pretty much every major American city. So Emily the OP should do just fine, especially if she is attractive.

She would only need to show up to Old Town Scottsdale bars 2-3 nights in her first week or two in the city to have two months worth of dates if she wanted to find a decent man. Some of these men would not be good fits for her, but she can easily find quantity.

She'd find men at fitness classes, the grocery store, the medical office where she works.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area