Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:02 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,706,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
It is worth getting one. My point is that Arizona should have followed federal guidelines from the start. Now they have two ID's and only one is officially recognized by the federal government.

Just because the feebs arbitrarily *choose* not to "recognize" an AZ id, doesn't mean it's invalid, nor does it mean Arizona did anything wrong. The feebs can *choose* to change their minds about Arizona ID's , and I suspect we will see them do so the first time Sky Harbor gets busy after their rule change.

Having to explain the "logic" of our "inferior" ID's to 10,000 people in one day at Sky Harbor may adjust some attitudes.

Keep in mind, a passport is "required" to cross the border back into the US, according to the feebs, but they let people across without one every day after a stern talking-to and perhaps an extra "freedom grope" to assert their federal au-thor-i-tie.

Bottom line, TSA doesn't have enough "freedom gropers" on staff to hassle everyone, and the way our licenses are set-up, most residents aren't going to toss a perfectly valid ID and pay an extra $15 to make life easier for the feebs. My AZ license is good for a couple more decades & I ain't giving it up until then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 PM

363 posts, read 930,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Keep in mind, a passport is "required" to cross the border back into the US, according to the feebs
Passports are required to fly internationally, Enhanced Drivers license will get you in and out of Mexico/ Canada. Please don't challenge me on this, I retired from CBP...

Old 04-07-2015, 05:00 PM

Wonder how did we drift from car registrations to passports and international travel LOL. Forums just crack me up

Old 04-07-2015, 05:44 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,706,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
Passports are required to fly internationally, Enhanced Drivers license will get you in and out of Mexico/ Canada. Please don't challenge me on this, I retired from CBP...
and when someone forgets or loses their passport, they can never return to the US, right?

The customs guy just stands there & says, "neener, neener"?

Old 04-07-2015, 07:57 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,026 times
I noticed the difference from crossing at TJ vs Nogales. In TJ they never ever have complained about me crossing with just a license. In Nogales they are not very nice about it at all! Kinda sucks because I love cruising south of the border every once in a while. It's a whole different world and brings out my adventures side. I hope for enhanced az drivers licenses. I do not plan on getting a passport unless I decide to go overseas. Call me rebellious .

Old 04-08-2015, 07:05 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,306,911 times
AZ DLs are valid until you turn 65. You do have to get a new photo taken every so often though. They send you a letter. The new RealID licenses will expire and you will need to get another. The RealIDs won't be available for a few months, though. Eventually all but the anti-federalists will have one. Still, I think everyone should have a passport. You never know when you will have to flee the country!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
AZ DLs are valid until you turn 65. You do have to get a new photo taken every so often though. They send you a letter. The new RealID licenses will expire and you will need to get another. The RealIDs won't be available for a few months, though. Eventually all but the anti-federalists will have one. Still, I think everyone should have a passport. You never know when you will have to flee the country!
Hell if ever had to flee it would likely be Mexico anyway. I speak a bit of Spanish . Those Sonora beach towns (well just as miserably hot as here) are awesome!

Old 04-09-2015, 08:05 PM

23 posts, read 57,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
Well, according to elcojones, the AZ license doesn't expire so not sure what to believe... but I asked a couple of CA friends and we shall have some numbers soon.
Expires at 65 - from MVD website:
"Your Arizona driver’s license is valid until you are 65 years old. During this time you will not need to renew your license; however, you will need to visit an AZ DMV office every 12 years to update your photo and take a vision exam."

Old 04-09-2015, 09:17 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenns55 View Post
Expires at 65 - from MVD website:
"Your Arizona driver’s license is valid until you are 65 years old. During this time you will not need to renew your license; however, you will need to visit an AZ DMV office every 12 years to update your photo and take a vision exam."
In other words, technically it's good to 65, but really its only good for 12 years. They send you a letter when you are due and tell if you don't come in, your license will be suspended until you do. I've had to do this a couple of times over the years, but don't remember if I had to pay. I don't think I did, but it is the hassle of going to MVD.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
and when someone forgets or loses their passport, they can never return to the US, right?

The customs guy just stands there & says, "neener, neener"?
It's the law Zippy. NO passport required if you have an enhanced DL. Canada and Mexico you are good with your Enhanced DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: