Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:38 PM

281 posts, read 368,171 times

Advertisements

So here's the thing. I'm a gearhead. I work in the automotive industry, I ride a streetbike, and nothing gets me going more than a fast machine.

But when little kids cover their ears and dogs put their tails between their legs when you ride or drive by, YOUR DAMN CAR OR MOTORCYCLE IS TOO LOUD. Stop being such a selfish prick and pissing off everybody else; you don't own the town.

Anywho, I'll step off my soapbox. I've seen this clown twice now, driving a Honda Prelude, or something like that. No muffler, no cat, nothing. My question? What can I do, assuming talking to him doesn't work (and I can only assume that it won't, although I'll give it a try)? Do the cops actually give a crap?

Of course I have fantasies of slashing his tires, kicking off his mirrors, and other such things, but really that doesn't accomplish anything worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 10:09 PM

324 posts, read 330,700 times
Check your city's noise ordinance it usually has something about extra loud cars. If it is that loud it is a violation of city ordinance and a ticket.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:27 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
So here's the thing. I'm a gearhead. I work in the automotive industry, I ride a streetbike, and nothing gets me going more than a fast machine.

But when little kids cover their ears and dogs put their tails between their legs when you ride or drive by, YOUR DAMN CAR OR MOTORCYCLE IS TOO LOUD. Stop being such a selfish prick and pissing off everybody else; you don't own the town.

Anywho, I'll step off my soapbox. I've seen this clown twice now, driving a Honda Prelude, or something like that. No muffler, no cat, nothing. My question? What can I do, assuming talking to him doesn't work (and I can only assume that it won't, although I'll give it a try)? Do the cops actually give a crap?

Of course I have fantasies of slashing his tires, kicking off his mirrors, and other such things, but really that doesn't accomplish anything worthwhile.
Yep. These guys love to rev up all the way to infinity and beyond, which provides them their daily rush. They apparently watch too many Fast & Furious movies, and believe themselves to be the next great NASCAR superstar.

I agree that there are noise ordinances which will deal with Mr Noisy Leadfoot out there.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:28 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
ARS 28-955:

28-955. Mufflers; noise and air pollution prevention; emissions control devices; civil penalty; exception
A. A motor vehicle shall be equipped at all times with a muffler that is in good working order and that is in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
B. A person shall not use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device on a motor vehicle on a highway.
C. The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be equipped and adjusted to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.
D. Beginning with motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines of the 1968 model year, motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines shall be equipped with emissions control devices that meet the standards established by the director of environmental quality.
E. A person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least one hundred dollars.
F. This section does not apply to an electrically powered motor vehicle.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:30 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Maricopa County Noise Ordinance

Take down the license plate and make a non-emergency call to your local PD.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:55 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:

Sorry, man, youre not a "gearhead" if you cant identify the car.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:59 AM

281 posts, read 368,171 times
Early '90's Japanese economy cars aren't exactly my specialty, sorry about that. I was more interested at the moment in comforting my pitbull with her tail between her legs.

Thanks for the help everyone, sort of figured a call to the non-emergency line would be the best I could do.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:03 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Early '90's Japanese economy cars aren't exactly my specialty, sorry about that. I was more interested at the moment in comforting my pitbull with her tail between her legs.

Thanks for the help everyone, sort of figured a call to the non-emergency line would be the best I could do.
I was just giving you crap.

Early 90's popular Honda's to modify were the obvious Civic (mainly the hatch), Prelude, and Accord, all very distinct designs, although very ugly. lol

I hear your concern, though. Overly loud cars are obnoxious.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:26 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Early 90's popular Honda's to modify were the obvious Civic (mainly the hatch), Prelude, and Accord, all very distinct designs, although very ugly. lol

I hear your concern, though. Overly loud cars are obnoxious.
I've always wondered why anyone would even get excited about rice-burners in the first place. Whenever they "buzzzz" past, they sound like a bumblebee on steroids...

I'd rather hear the distinct rumble & roar of powerful American muscle cars from decades past.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:11 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,074 times
I cannot stand these little rice burners with no mufflers on them! Usually the people that drive them are 16-25 year olds that weigh less than 120lbs, live with mom & dad, and MAYBE work part time. I do like the roar of the American muscle cars from the past though and I like the roar of Harley's. BTW, I agree with a previous poster, these kids have watched the Fast & Furious one too many times. I tried watching Fast & Furious once, I got half way through it and stopped, personally it was un-watchable

That being said, my three automotive pet-peeves:
1. Loud, obnoxious rice burners
2. Dude with a muscle car that has to squeal his tires at every godd*mn stop sign and intersection, nothing against Mustangs, Chargers and Camaros, and I know you have power, but seriously. Besides tires aren't cheap
3. People with loud, after-market car stereos. The factory car stereos today are damn good. When I see people that spend hundreds, if not thousands on car stereos my first thought is that they have more money than brains. I don't always want to hear what the other person is listening to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: