Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,490 times

Advertisements

I am a junior in high school, I took Spanish 3-4 as a sophmore and i skipped a year of spanish this year and i'm debating whether or not I should take Spanish 5-6 Senior year and get 3 years of a foreign language, my GPA is a 4.56 currently and I'm trying to take less classes next year and have a half day, my classes for next year already include AP Calc BC, AP Physics 2, AP Biology and Language Arts. My question is will 1 year in Spanish make a difference when I apply for colleges, I would like to go out of state to UCLA or other colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:33 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,032,258 times
The best answer to your question is to find out what the requirements are for each college you plan on applying to. It also may depend on what degree program you pursue. Some colleges may require 3 years of a foreign language in high school.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:18 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
The best answer to your question is to find out what the requirements are for each college you plan on applying to. It also may depend on what degree program you pursue. Some colleges may require 3 years of a foreign language in high school.
I suspect that it's much more subjective than that. Everything helps. If they were deciding between two candidates where all things were equal and one had a year more of Spanish than the other, they would probably take the one with more Spanish. The real questions are whether you have the time to devote to such a class and whether the time would be better spent on extra-curriculars, volunteer work, etc. Our younger son had 4 years of Spanish and UCLA was one of the schools he was accepted at, but I am pretty sure that it wasn't a requirement.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:41 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,032,258 times
Here is a recent article with some very good information to answer your question:

Tackling foreign language requirements for college

Tackling foreign language requirements for college

Old 04-18-2015, 02:45 AM

4,545 posts, read 12,420,913 times
I believe that yes, you will need that second year of foreign language. Admissions to California State schools is completely formulaic. If you can't check the box, they won't let you in.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:14 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,322,234 times
Perhaps think about this aside from the college requirements. Would you actually like to learn Spanish and become more proficient at it? If so, take the class. If not, do something else that you enjoy or that you think will give you an edge for college admissions.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
They said it was recommended but not required
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area