Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 10:20 AM

25 posts, read 29,987 times

Advertisements

So I'm getting closer to finding the space I want, but plan on upgrading whatever I end up buying. Most of the condos I've seen the avg space is about 800 sqft.

For those have you who have upgraded and/or do fix and flips, what is a reasonable cost for the following (materials and labor)... I plan on having these things done after close and before I move in.

Flooring - Probably go with polished/stained concrete or tile throughout (want to do about a 6 inch wall to wall platform in the master)

Painting
Granite countertops in the kitchen
Floor to ceiling tile for bathroom

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxspartan View Post
in.

Flooring - Probably go with polished/stained concrete or tile throughout (want to do about a 6 inch wall to wall platform in the master)

Thanks!
Don't go with stained concrete for flooring. It will have a huge negative impact on selling and renting.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:59 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Don't go with stained concrete for flooring. It will have a huge negative impact on selling and renting.
How about op goes with laminate "wood" flooring? It's cheap, easy to DIY, and people seem to love it.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
How about op goes with laminate "wood" flooring? It's cheap, easy to DIY, and people seem to love it.
laminate is great for rentals and at only 800 sq ft it would be an easy DIY weekend job.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:27 AM

"wood" flooring is an option as well. Curious as to the steer clear of concrete?

Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,099,478 times
im no hgtv remodel expert lol, but i did buy a condo at that sq footage and remodeled much of what you plan on doing as well.

for flooring except bed and bath i did laminate
bathroom i did porcelain tiles and also plan to do a walk in shower with new vanity and counter
kitchen i refaced the cabinets (i recommend just buying new cabinets though)
new kitchen laminate counter tops and backsplash
bedroom carpet
repainted all walls and scraped off popcorn ceiling

i had help mostly from family and a little outside help. i think all in all i spent 10-15k in labor and materials. it may be on the low end. somebody did an amazing more high end remodel next door to mine. same sq footage and i imagine them spending from 30-40k.

it really depends. some materials you can find on craigslist for big discounts like tiling. but it really depends what you want in it. id say it can range from 15-50k.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxspartan View Post
"wood" flooring is an option as well. Curious as to the steer clear of concrete?
It's very rarily executed well. cracks in foundations are more common here as well so you will see all the cracks. If you are going to live there, then by all means do what you love. But it sounds like you are flipping and stained concrete is very polarizing some like it but many hate it as well.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:44 PM

Thanks Easton!

Ajonesaz, plan is to live there. I am a fan of it when done right as you said.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:03 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,516 times
I'm not understanding whether you'll be doing the work or paying to have it done. Paying someone else to do a lot improvements is unlikely to be cost effective if you're looking for some growth in equity. It definitely pays to do those things you can do well enough yourself (usually flooring like prefinished wood or laminate, painting--at least). Better to pay a pro, though, if you can't do a job with professional results yourself.

Granite will usually range $59-$85/sf. (and more!) at most retailers, though there seems to be lots of competition in the valley and you may be able to get a good deal on prefab or through one of the many "warehouses" who claim to have better prices. We haven't yet figured out if the prefab prices are to be believed, but we're about to look into it. The problem I've found with the advertised low prices is that a lot of the low priced granites they use to get you in the door are not anything anyone would really want. Any case, for resale consideration choose something you like, but something fairly neutral. Lots of movement and accent colors can be really attractive but are often more "of the moment" or particular to an owner's taste.

My concern was with your plan to build a platform in the master. I'm not sure I understand what exactly you'll be doing. But know that anything quirky or overly personalized will lower your resale value, increase your DOM, or both (because they go hand in hand), when you do go to sell. What is wrong with the floor as it is, and how will building the platform improve it? If it doesn't actually fix an existing problem, and is just something you'd like to do because you think it's cool, I wouldn't advise it. Maybe it's just a term I'm not familiar with.

Last edited by Montanama; 04-18-2015 at 04:47 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 09:29 AM

The floor is the red tile throughout the entire place. My plan is to have a modern interior for whatever I buy. I put in an offer on this place yesterday so we will see. I hear you on the "doing a job with professional results". Some stuff I may hire out and some I may do myself. Need to find the balance between hiring someone and staying in a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area