Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM

35 posts, read 98,984 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling to AZ to visit on February 1 to size up a possible re-location to Surprise (from NJ). We are looking for a larger lot, hopefully a 1/2 acre or better. We have 4 children ages 5-11 and are looking for some space. If we decide to go we'll be moving in Sept or October.

Also can you recommend any town recreation facilities, or other places to visit to get a handle on what it would be like raise our family out there.

Does the town allow home offices, or does that depend on the HOA? Do most HOAs allow for that.

I have contacted a realtor who will show me around, but I sure would appreciate any responses from West Valley residents, so I use this visit to get a good size up.

Thanks,
Dennis in NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 01:16 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
Also can you recommend any town recreation facilities, or other places to visit to get a handle on what it would be like raise our family out there.

The Surprise town center is located around the spring training facility. Located in this area is a post office (corner of Bell and Parkview), Maricopa Regional Library, Tennis and Racquet Complex, a park with a lake, a water park/swimming pools, a dog park, and the Spring training facility for the Texas Rangers and KC Royals. Plans for this "Downtown" area include luxury condos, shops, and offices.

Does the town allow home offices, or does that depend on the HOA? Do most HOAs allow for that.

Yes, home offices are allowed. I recently read somewhere that there is actually quite a few home based businesses in Surprise. I'm not sure about the HOA's. I'm sure they have rules on the amount of traffic you bring in to the community.

Good luck and Welcome to Surprise.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
There are several developments that have lots that would work for you. Marley park is one. Not sure if the lot sizes go up to a half acre or not, but they may have some that would fit your needs. Also in Marley park they have some great ammenities for kids. A large old farm house that has been turned into a community center. They have rooms for different age groups, such as ateen room with computer access, home work area, game room ect. Also a pool and out door area. Most of the homes there can be built with a home office. You can check that out by going to there web site. Just type in Marley Park and that should come up.

There are some other developments that have acre lots that may work for you. I know in our development at Surprise Farms there are a couple of over sized lots that also may meet your needs. Mostly interior corner lots that are very wide in the back yard area. One lot is about 16,000 square feet. Not sure the square footage for a half acre. Maybe someone more adapt at math can help.

As far as activities within the city I like the sports park. Can't remember what it is called. The Texas Rangers and the Kansas City Royals have there training facility there. Also across the street is an aquatic center, library, park grounds.

I don't think that you will have any problem having a home office. Most of the home builders offer a home office, or den, in lieu of a bedroom. We opted for a 4 bedroom home in lieu of a home office. But then I have 6 kids and wanted the bedrooms. I think most people would opt for the home office/ den set up. I think that the only issue you would have from a HOA is if you are running a business out of your home that brought in an unusually high amount of traffic. If you were running a business out of your home and things are quiet or you are under the radar so to speak, you should be fine. Not sure if that is your intention or not. My parents live in Surprise and the home they bought five years ago has a nice home office.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:00 AM

35 posts, read 98,984 times
Thanks for the answers. Is there a YMCA or town fitness ctr? Is there a pool that is open year round in Surprise? Are the Spring training fields available to the town, once the teams leave in April?

Also are the towns of Peoria or Litchfield Park similar to Surprise for a a young family? I may look there as well. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:32 PM

194 posts, read 325,628 times
There are older parts of Surprise where can find larger lots up to an acre. Whittmann has many newer homes on acre or larger lots and it is relatively close to Surprise. You can't use the spring training facilities as I understand it, I still play 25+ hardball every Sunday and we have to pay to play in our league at the Peoria stadium. I live in Litchfield Park and it is a great place to raise children. Good schools, dentist, doctor, insurance agent, city hall, a couple of nice little restaurants, golf, rec center, library, hair salon, lawyer, 3 churches, etc. all a short walk away(yes I walk). Hell you can even walk down to city hall and talk to the mayor if you want. All of this in a 1 square mile city with a nice downtown and interesting architecture. Mature vegetation with large shade trees. Homes from mid 100's for a small condo to over 1 million for a large house on a large lot on the Wigwam golf course. All of the homes have different style, not your typical cookie cutter AZ neighborhood where people go in their garage and you never see them again. There is a real sense of community here. People are neighborly, believe it not, and more than willing to help you out. All of the conveniences are very close, you could drive your golf cart if you wanted, many do. Takes me 20 minutes to pick people up from the airport in non-rush hour situations. I could go on and on because I love it here so much. I' m not in RE, but I am biased, so take it for what it's worth.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I agree with pstratt. There are some tracts that are cookie cutter and others that are not. In Surprise Farms at our tract anyway, the models are stagered so that they don't all look alike. When we chose the model that we like we were given a list of lots that it could be built on. The sales representative showed us each lot. We were also given a list of color combinations that we could have the outside painted in.

I also love each of the commnities that pstratt told you about. Just a nice area of the valley. Surprise, Peoria, Litchfield park are great areas. You would do great in any of them.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:05 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,385 times
[QUOTE. I live in Litchfield Park and it is a great place to raise children. Good schools, dentist, doctor, insurance agent, city hall, a couple of nice little restaurants, golf, rec center, library, hair salon, lawyer, 3 churches, etc. all a short walk away(yes I walk). [/quote]

Glad that you brought up Litchfield Park. I had not thought about this town and have never been through it. It sounds like something to check out.

altus2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area