Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:48 PM

919 posts, read 3,395,257 times

Advertisements

Palms are better known symbols of L.A. and likewise were planted by developers. There's even a neighborhood called "Palms" and many streets all over SoCal have rows of 8-story tall versions. Such is life in a global ecology.

VP - we've got eucalyptus here, just not in groves. San Diego has a unique topography full of small, protected canyons that weave between many neighborhoods. I'm not sure what other cities have the same layout. At the same time, some of these have been the tinder in some of the recent fires. But overall, they are nice. We've got great trees in older areas. Trees take time. My hood is 40 years old and was considered the far edge of town at the time. Fantastic trees take decades, if not 100+ years to grow.
Eucalyptus grow fast, but still need long term attention.

In any case, we've got great tree neighborhoods along Central /Encanto/Camelback/Arcadia, older parts of Scottsdale, Tempe, etc. Even the older farm areas of Mesa, Chandler, etc, have great trees where they've preserved them. I'd guess the same for far North and the West side older hoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 06:23 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstratt View Post
I don't even notice them anymore and I have 2 large ones in my front yard. I thought there was one native species in AZ, they were found on the side of a mountain or cliff or some sort of thing. Anyone remember the exact story or location?
Kofa Mountains near Yuma. They are believed to have been transplanted as seeds in bird droppings and are related to the California fans like around Palm Springs. Some say they have evolved to a distinct species, others disagree. Whatever, they are the only naturally occurring palms in AZ.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:31 AM

194 posts, read 325,628 times
Thanks Ponderosa. The bird dropping scenario seems likely.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
That was funny. *smile*

I raised this question because my daughter LOVES the palm trees here. Many people I know prefer the Palm tree look to the brown desert look and I have to laugh, because palms are not even indigenous (sic?) to the area. I am one of those people who loves palms too. I love the way they make everything look so elegant. And I love the way Phoenix markets itself -- so many golf course pictures and home/planned community brochures all have tons of palms in the pictures. It's just so silly.

Are palms representive of Phoenix, should they be?
Really??? This queen palm is free to a good home if anyone wants to try to transplant it. It's over 20 feet tall and the 'boss' has "requested" that I make it go away. I am NOT looking forward to taking it down! (This was a night shot I lightened so you can see the tree better).
I wonder....-dsc_2038-adj.jpg

Old 01-19-2008, 04:14 PM

267 posts, read 885,298 times
I was going to mention Los Angeles. They aren't native here, either, yet they are a huge symbol of the city. I don't think there's anything wrong with the fact they are pictured as part of both Phoenix and L.A., yet are not native to either city. I love the look myself.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:50 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
I was going to mention Los Angeles. They aren't native here, either, yet they are a huge symbol of the city. I don't think there's anything wrong with the fact they are pictured as part of both Phoenix and L.A., yet are not native to either city. I love the look myself.
Me too, I love the look of palm trees. Unfortunately I've heard a lot of people talk about "keeping the desert look 100% natural." You know, no grass, no palms, no flowers. I like the green too.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 01-19-2008 at 08:58 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 08:56 PM

106 posts, read 643,255 times
whats a nice shade tree,that grows fast.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:59 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs1956 View Post
whats a nice shade tree,that grows fast.
Acacia tree. It's like the weeping willow of the west.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 PM

21 posts, read 92,292 times
Mesquite's grow fast. Go thornless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area