Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 04:34 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanks1 View Post
What is wrong with using fabric? I just used some in my yard with rocks on top of it. Thanks.
After a while it can start to show and pull up at the seems if the granite wears down. If you properly maintain your rock and keep a consistent depth you shouldn't have any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 05:01 PM

445 posts, read 515,689 times
Thanks to everyone for all the tips and responses.

Just to address a few who have asked about grass vs. rocks.... No kids and it will stay that way, so kids playing in the grass isn't an issue. And the dogs like the gravel in our current yard just fine. I know there are some people who prefer grass to desert landscaping, but my wife and I aren't among them. We both actually really like the look of desert landscaping. And I spent the first 30 years of my life with grass living in the midwest. If I never have to cut a lawn again, it will be fine by me. If it means more heat island, so be it. This is the desert...if heat was a problem for us we wouldn't have moved here.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:17 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,237 times
We had exactly the same setup in our yard. Pool in half of yard, grass on the other. We went with ripping out the grass, planting numerous shrubs/plants and a paver patio in the middle of the area where the grass used to be. We couldn't be happier! Yes the grass is still coming up in spurts but I hope once all the foliage is sprayed in all areas, it will die permanently. We were told putting a tarp down does little good and can create a mess later on down the line.

Changing your backyard from grass to gravel does not create a heat island. It's a negligible difference.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:20 PM

480 posts, read 845,168 times
I saw a quote from a small landscaping company to xeriscape a back yard for $1300. That included a light scattering of plants, drip irrigation, and 1/4" crushed granite, delivered, installed, done and done. I suspect if you call around a bit, you can find any number of inexpensive options.

The pool, on the other hand... We got a quote for a little pool with hot tub that would have run us $25,000. Not terrible, but if you keep your expectations moderate, you don't have to pay $50k for a pool. The pool guy we talked with said that we should consider an above-ground pool, as well - it's way cheaper, and gating it just means blocking the steps. That option helps with my worries about selling a house with a pool, too, in case a prospective buyer doesn't want a pool, or doesn't share our pool aesthetic.

You can spread out the cost if you have them drop in just the pool now, install an above-ground hot tub with some kind of rock surround next year, and install a full landscaping package over the next few years.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:02 AM

296 posts, read 364,493 times
Thank you for starting this thread. I don't have a lot of advice, because we could be in the same boat soon. My husband and I prefer the desert yards to those with grass. We are going to start house hunting soon and I see homes with grass yards and I wonder what expense it would take to convert them.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:27 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
Thank you for starting this thread. I don't have a lot of advice, because we could be in the same boat soon. My husband and I prefer the desert yards to those with grass. We are going to start house hunting soon and I see homes with grass yards and I wonder what expense it would take to convert them.
Get multiple quotes when you decide to do it. Find someone that has your vision and isn't going to take you to the cleaners to do it. We went with a middle priced quote because we liked what they could offer and their blueprint was exactly what we wanted after drawing it up. We did a bit more than just pulling the grass out but I thought it was a reasonable amount to spend for the week it took to complete it all. It looks great and our backyard is now exactly like we want it! Best money we ever spent, since we moved to AZ to enjoy the sunshine and be outside.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanks1 View Post
What is wrong with using fabric? I just used some in my yard with rocks on top of it. Thanks.
It eventually deteriorates, rocks shift, etc. You end up with an unsightly mess of ripped pieces of cloth/plastic/whatever interspersed with rocks. It is a major job to get rid of it at that point. It is also lousy for the yard's drainage.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:13 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
while we are on the subject of desert landscaping, I am moving here from the Midwest, and have a nice collection of cactus coming with me. I assume I will buy a house that is xeriscaped already; how do I plant my existing cactus in the established xeriscape?
do I dig a hole, put some soil/organic material in, and just cover it with more of the established rock, or is there a local secret to planting your own cacti in an existing xeriscape?

thanks!

Old 05-01-2015, 05:24 PM

281 posts, read 368,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
while we are on the subject of desert landscaping, I am moving here from the Midwest, and have a nice collection of cactus coming with me. I assume I will buy a house that is xeriscaped already; how do I plant my existing cactus in the established xeriscape?
do I dig a hole, put some soil/organic material in, and just cover it with more of the established rock, or is there a local secret to planting your own cacti in an existing xeriscape?

thanks!
Welcome! What kind of cacti are they? There are plenty of cacti that don't do well here, in the same way that there are plenty of trees that don't do well in...I dunno, Washington or something.

In general, you should be able to fill in the hole with the same dirt you took out of it, especially if the cactus is native. Sometimes I do use a mix of 1/2 native soil, 1/4 cactus mix from Home Depot or something, and 1/4 pearlite. They say you're NOT actually supposed to water them right after you plant them, but to wait two weeks. Seems weird to me, but that's what I read.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:36 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
thanks for responding, and thanks for the welcome!

I've been a cactus and succulent nut for many years, and have been able to keep my plants alive in chicagoland all this time, so I am pretty good at knowing what might survive out there, and, obviously, some wont be able to deal with being planted in the ground..plus, I want a few in the house to look at too!

things like golden barrels, various euphorbia, and other desert natives should do well, I am just not sure if the need a dirt/pearlite/coconut shell/cacti mix foundation like they live in now, or if there is a different method for planting them in the ground, versus the pots they have lived in while being held hostage in Chicago!

one of the things I am looking forward to the most by moving there is finally ending the in and out of the house nightmare I go through in chicago twice a year...they come in the house in September, and go back out in May..I recently donated a LARGE collection of very large cacti to the Chicago Cactus and Succulent Society, as it was getting to be a real nightmare bringing in and out things like a 6 foot tall Saguaro, and my 150lb golden barrel..

Thanks again for the response, and I sort of figured that was the way to plant them in the ground..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area