Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,016,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I don't know how they would know in a closed backyard.
Busybody neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 08:43 AM

39,145 posts, read 51,432,240 times
To me the big advantage to the AGP is that when the kids no longer use it, you can take the whole thing down and take it to the dump. With the inground, you are stuck with this backyard water feature that bleeds your wallet for the rest of the time you own the house even though you actually go in it once or twice a year if that. There is no easy, inexpensive way to get rid of the thing. Trust me, the novelty of a pool wears off over time. It's a snowbird/new resident thing.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:49 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
To me the big advantage to the AGP is that when the kids no longer use it, you can take the whole thing down and take it to the dump. With the inground, you are stuck with this backyard water feature that bleeds your wallet for the rest of the time you own the house even though you actually go in it once or twice a year if that. There is no easy, inexpensive way to get rid of the thing. Trust me, the novelty of a pool wears off over time. It's a snowbird/new resident thing.
I respectfully disagree with this, many people including myself use the pool often, even after being here for awhile, plus it adds to the ambiance of a backyard, otherwise the yards are just "blah". I am not a fan of above ground pools. I had a neighbor back in CA that did about as much as you could to an above ground pool including decking with a covered area and some sort of bamboo skirting around the pool, I still thought it looked tacky. If it is just for having something to cool off in for a few years, I guess it makes financial sense though, not feasible to spend $35-40K on a pool that adds $10K value unless you will be there for awhile, or your neighborhood needs pools for houses to sell (this is the case in my community).

Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 AM

39,145 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I respectfully disagree with this, many people including myself use the pool often, even after being here for awhile, plus it adds to the ambiance of a backyard, otherwise the yards are just "blah". I am not a fan of above ground pools. I had a neighbor back in CA that did about as much as you could to an above ground pool including decking with a covered area and some sort of bamboo skirting around the pool, I still thought it looked tacky. If it is just for having something to cool off in for a few years, I guess it makes financial sense though, not feasible to spend $35-40K on a pool that adds $10K value unless you will be there for awhile, or your neighborhood needs pools for houses to sell (this is the case in my community).
You are not as old as I am, I'm pretty sure. With each passing year the pool gets used less and less, I think. When the kids were young, it was the focal point of the parties, then the backyard suburban life. Now, not so much. I will grant the ambiance point, though. A backyard without a pool is not much more than a dirt lot no matter how much landscaping you add. A pool really is eye candy. I think a pool is great for people with kids or really outgoing people who tend to entertain a lot - even for the older ones in that case. But for many, the thrill is gone and a pool is just another chore we would rather be without.

You make a good point, too, that if you will not be in your home all that long, then an in ground pool is a very poor investment. Most people here do move on to other homes if they stay long. What fits one phase of life does not necessarily fit another. The beauty of the AGP is that it is cheap and temporary - which blends nicely with the vibe here.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 AM

391 posts, read 790,515 times
I had an agp for many years until the kids stopped using it. Then I sold it and it took me about a week to restore the yard. I also did virtually all the construction and tear down myself, which would be hard to do with an Inground. Saved me thousands of $s.

Ponderosa said pools are a snowbird thing. Maybe for rich dumb snowbirds () but we're here in the winter and would seldom use a pool then (other than to sit around it in the sun).

I'd recommend an agp if it's done right. I had a 16x28 with decking all the way around, a gazebo/Change house on the deck. I used full sized gas heater and filter.

The 4 foot depth was perfect for kids as they could use the whole pool for playing games etc. the only thing a deep end would do is allow diving, which nobody missed. If I built an in ground today, id still make it all 4 feet deep.

From my house or patio, you could not tell it was an agp.

I put a chain link fence all around it (at the deck level). That's a necessity (a rail would work too) if you have kids playing in it. Otherwise all their balls etc, keep falling out stalling all the fun. It also provided security and safety.

For me, I seldom used the pool and would have enjoyed a hot tub much more. I'd crank the heat up in the pool to 92 degrees before I'd use it. Not economical or efficient. Kids had thousands of hours of fun in it. The 4 foot depth really made that happen.

Oth, nothing wrong with an inground. Looks great and works in arizona

Last edited by mjd2k; 04-30-2015 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 09:21 AM

277 posts, read 294,371 times
Nothing says classy like chain link fence and blue plastic.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:03 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,625,743 times
In-ground fits much better into the backyard landscape. Maybe the novelty wears off for some but we enjoy ours. Sit in or around the pool drinking a cold beer enjoying the Arizona summer.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:49 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,069,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Rule number 1. If you want a pool buy a house that has one. Never put one in. 60% of the money down the drain. 200% on an above ground.

As a pool owner for the last 30 years the best thing on a pool is a spa. Get a small in ground with a spa unless you are a real swimmer. Than get a good sized in ground with a spa.

You can also get a semi-above ground...the spas where you can swim against the current. The big ones are pretty nice and can simply be used as a spa in the winter. Ideal for the SW. Some can be set low enough in the ground that entry is not a problem.

If you are getting old forget about above ground. Getting in and out of a normal pool can be a bear. An above ground is unlivable. You will swiftly learn ladders are bad news.
Good advice. I agree.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:10 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,345,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
As a pool owner for the last 30 years the best thing on a pool is a spa. Get a small in ground with a spa unless you are a real swimmer. Than get a good sized in ground with a spa.

If I had a spa, it would only get used a little in the winter. When it warms up in the summer, the last thing I want is soak in hot water.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:13 PM

784 posts, read 926,800 times
I've had both....previously a above ground and today a below ground......I would say go with the below ground if you can afford it.

The only mistake I made with putting in the above ground was not spending the extra money for the below ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area