Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 AM

19 posts, read 83,643 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to North Carolina and we are considering Charlotte area first but so restricted with HOA'S. We have an above ground pool and want to keep it we have had it for 7 years now and have 6 kids moving with us plus trampoline and swing set. Are the areas, good areas with good schools that will allow us to have this is our yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 AM

52 posts, read 201,065 times
My HOA allows them, only condition being that the yard must be fenced (6' stockade picket) and any gates must have the ability to be locked. Oh, and any major pool draining must be to the street/sewer so as to not spill into a neighbors property.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 AM

22 posts, read 116,426 times
I have posted a few times on this board about topics concerning pools. I don't understand why there are so many restrictions. As long as you are responsible have a fenced yard, and alarm, why should one neighbor care if a another neighbor has a pool in their yard. After all its your home. This really does not make sense to me coming from Long island where I think 90% of the homes on my block have pools. No one is bothered by them. We all have fenced yards and a majority of us have alarms. They provide such enjoyment and they are great exercise. I wouldn't buy home in a place where I wasnt allowed to have a pool

Old 06-19-2008, 10:21 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofyanks View Post
I have posted a few times on this board about topics concerning pools. I don't understand why there are so many restrictions. As long as you are responsible have a fenced yard, and alarm, why should one neighbor care if a another neighbor has a pool in their yard. After all its your home. This really does not make sense to me coming from Long island where I think 90% of the homes on my block have pools. No one is bothered by them. We all have fenced yards and a majority of us have alarms. They provide such enjoyment and they are great exercise. I wouldn't buy home in a place where I wasnt allowed to have a pool
You need to see the HOA's in Cary. Some even restrict the color of your home and the type of mailbox you use.

If you want freedom in the use of your property, don't buy in an HOA covenant area.

Last edited by saturnfan; 06-19-2008 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreynolds View Post
We are looking to move to North Carolina and we are considering Charlotte area first but so restricted with HOA'S. We have an above ground pool and want to keep it we have had it for 7 years now and have 6 kids moving with us plus trampoline and swing set. Are the areas, good areas with good schools that will allow us to have this is our yard?
There are plenty of neighborhoods in The Triangle and in Charlotte that allow you to have the things you describe. Don't let anybody fool you with claims about what certain town do and don't do. It isn't the town you need to worry about so much as it is the convenants of the specific neighborhood you are interested in. The HOA covenants can vary greatly from neighborhood to neighborhood regardless of what town you buy in.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:19 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
You need to see the HOA's in Cary. Some even restrict the color of your home and the type of mailbox you use.
Why in the world would you single out Cary? There are HOAs all over that restrict this stuff. And there are plenty of Cary one's that do not.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:40 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Cary just stands out for restrictions like those involving flying our country's flag.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:28 PM

67 posts, read 62,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofyanks View Post
As long as you are responsible have a fenced yard, and alarm, why should one neighbor care if a another neighbor has a pool in their yard.

Maybe some people are just better off not being seen in a bathing suit in the pool.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Yes, Cary and Apex and Holly Springs and Morrisville and Raleigh and Durham and WF and Clayton.

The point?

Old 06-19-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
If you want freedom in the use of your property, don't buy in an HOA covenant area.

I think that is not totally the case. The OP can find what they are looking for, even in an HOA community, they just need to read the covenants. They all vary and many will be more than accomodating.

Do you currently live in an HOA community and if so, do they restrict above ground or inground pools? Just because yours may restrict pools, does not mean that the next community down the street does. It is truly different for each community.

Last edited by upchurch; 06-19-2008 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary