Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:13 AM

78 posts, read 353,579 times

Advertisements

Hi again all, coming to Phoenix in a few months for a second visit. On my first visit I didnt have much time to explore being on a multi city trip== I only got to see Tempe and Scottsdale.

From research and locals I have heard Chandler, Apache Junction, Scottsdale, Peoria, Cactus, Gilbert and Queen Creek are the best areas; Tempe, Ahwatukee, Glendale, and Litchfield Park are mediocre, and South Phoenix, Tolleson, and the west side are the worst areas-- talking crime gangs and ghetto wise.

I am going to be looking to start out in a rental house or an apartment if I decide to move here, so would like a nice area.

Also, close proximity to good night life scene for a single, mountains, and outdoor activities-- also automoitive industry businesses is a plus.

Any thoughts?

--Sosh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,216 times
My family moved to Phoenix in 1956. I have seen it grow to massive proportions. It use to be a nice place to live. Now it has organized crime, many gangs and hoods, thousands of illegals, many sex crimes and murders.....needless to say, I left there in 1975 and would rather live in Hell then in the Phoenix area, and that would be a step up!
If you MUST move there, look at North Scottsdale and hire a reliable security company and maybe a few body guards.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:56 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
Quote:
If you MUST move there, look at North Scottsdale and hire a reliable security company and maybe a few body guards.
And one would need body guards in North Scottsdale why?

The only areas I am familiar with at all are North Phoenix and North Scottsdale (they are adjacent at the boundary). This is a very very nice area of town! You are more likely to get the hood ornament off your Jaguar stolen by the guy in the Jaguar parked next to you that had been missing one than to be followed around by a bunch of thugs threatening your life and limb necessitating body guards.

The area I am speaking of is generally bounded north by 101, south by Camelback, east by 101 (101 is a loop, that is how it can be both north and east lol!) and west by about Tatum.

Zips to look for 85254, 85054, 85260 I believe. Neighborhoodwise: Kierland, Desert Ridge, Scottsdale Airpark. Or areas off Bell Road north of Airpark like 90th plus street or so are nice.

This part of town is very nice. Most of the construction is either a) good condition b) newer construction (within last 5 years or so) or c) under construction. Tons of brand new construction both residential and retail.

I rent up in this area. For a 2 BR in a "luxury apartment" development that I do not believe is more than 3-5 years old with a garage my rent is $1079 after concessions. Dont let the astronomically high rents advertised for most of the higher end apartment communities scare you. Most run concessions for free rent/prorated rent etc that can bring that down considerably. They quoted market rent on my unit somewhere like $1300-$1400. My rent in a 10 year old building in a mediocre suburb in Cleveland with a garage was $900. There are some smaller complexes where you can get in a tad cheaper. My niece lives at Via de Ventura and Hayden (translated: about 6 miles south of me) in a nice area and her rent is only somewhere in the $800 range for a 1 BR.

Don't know what you mean by "automotive industry" but there are a lot of car dealership type stuff up here. Are you a Lamborghini mechanic? ;-) (Yes there is a Lamborghini dealer I believe down off Hayden. Jaguar and BMW are right around the corner from me. And of course there are the Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota etc. And motorcycles....)

Night life. Lots of upscale type "bars/restaurants" around here to hang out at. There have to be 100 nice restaurants on every corner here. (OK may be a slight exaggeration but there are a LOT.) Tons more within driving distance. I like Sapporo's (Acoma and Scottsdale Rd).

Not sure what your age group is? My niece is 26 and likes this part of town. I do know that the more "nighclubbish" type places gravitate just a bit south in Scottsdale and Phoenix. But that is definitely a doable driving distance.

I am not a huge outdoor person, but I do know there are mountains (that is why this is a valley...) and hiking areas nearby. I know my sister took my son and niece hiking somewhere on a mountain and they werent gone more than 90 minutes including drive time and the hike itself.

Renting is a good plan to start if you are not familiar with the area. That will let you learn your way around, explore and decide without committing long term.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyx5 View Post
My family moved to Phoenix in 1956. I have seen it grow to massive proportions. It use to be a nice place to live. Now it has organized crime, many gangs and hoods, thousands of illegals, many sex crimes and murders.....needless to say, I left there in 1975 and would rather live in Hell then in the Phoenix area, and that would be a step up!
Lol, its not that bad. Looking at crime statistics the wonderful place I live now (Toledo), a city of less than 500,000 has worse crime than most of the Phoenix area could dream of-- Phoenix has a better crime rating than Toledo with over 1.5 million residents--according to this site-- pretty sad.

I just dont want to live in "da hood". Toledo has "da hood", and it has its decent areas. Right now I live in a "decent" area on the outskirts of Toledo. Im not a millionaire, so Im not looking for the most oppulent areas in Phoenix; just rather a decent place where I dont have to guard my car and house 24/7 with a .45 and a Rottweiler (sp?).

Old 01-18-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
The only areas I am familiar with at all are North Phoenix and North Scottsdale (they are adjacent at the boundary). This is a very very nice area of town! You are more likely to get the hood ornament off your Jaguar stolen by the guy in the Jaguar parked next to you that had been missing one than to be followed around by a bunch of thugs threatening your life and limb necessitating body guards.
Well I dont own a Jag-- just a Toyota Land Cruiser-- at least thats the only one that would be going to AZ with me. I had a blast in Scottsdale; esp at the Pink Taco, Scottsdale Mall, and Club Suede (sp?), loved it-- along with Camelback mountain just chilling right there along McDonald Rd---nice hike available to relieve stress on a weekend as far as Im concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy
The area I am speaking of is generally bounded north by 101, south by Camelback, east by 101 (101 is a loop, that is how it can be both north and east lol!) and west by about Tatum.

Zips to look for 85254, 85054, 85260 I believe. Neighborhoodwise: Kierland, Desert Ridge, Scottsdale Airpark. Or areas off Bell Road north of Airpark like 90th plus street or so are nice.

This part of town is very nice. Most of the construction is either a) good condition b) newer construction (within last 5 years or so) or c) under construction. Tons of brand new construction both residential and retail.

I rent up in this area. My rent in a 10 year old building in a mediocre suburb in Cleveland with a garage was $900. There are some smaller complexes where you can get in a tad cheaper. My niece lives at Via de Ventura and Hayden (translated: about 6 miles south of me) in a nice area and her rent is only somewhere in the $800 range for a 1 BR.
Yes, I visited that area my last trip to Phoenix. Loved Scottsdale & north, but seemed expensive-- at least on rentclicks.com. I own a house here in Toledo, but your average decent 2br apartment with garage is $600/month. I will rent if I move to Phoenix until I find the right place. Up to $900/$1000 in the "affluent" areas around here.

I stayed in Tempe for a couple days; looked like a hell of a central party/college town that would totally fit my needs....I had an awesome time partying on Mill ave... Im big on security--to be able to steal my car you might as well just tow it away with another car--that is if you can get it out of park--- anyways-- dont want to be concerned with getting jumped or robbed on a regular basis; yall know what I mean... what is "da hood" and what isnt.....

Quote:
Don't know what you mean by "automotive industry" but there are a lot of car dealership type stuff up here. Are you a Lamborghini mechanic? ;-) (Yes there is a Lamborghini dealer I believe down off Hayden. Jaguar and BMW are right around the corner from me. And of course there are the Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota etc. And motorcycles....)
Currently I am in middle management in the emergency road service industry--bout to have MBA-- and have been in the automotive and trucking industry for the last 12 years-- first as a mechanic, then into supervision and management-- and no; have never worked on a Lambhorghini unfortunately---but would love to cruise up to Flag in one doing 150 mph---

Dont care as far as car brands- if I havent dealt with them before== they are all a new experience, and a new adventure... love semi-trucks, towing, anything automotive/heavy truck related. Its all fun to me....look at this whole move as an adventure, whether I move to Phoenix or not--- its all good-- Im having fun no matter what happens...

I stopped off at Tempe Dodge on Elliot/Priest last visit-- talked to them for a minute. Ive got a Tempe Dodge license frame on my car now, lol..

Quote:
Night life. Lots of upscale type "bars/restaurants" around here to hang out at. There have to be 100 nice restaurants on every corner here. (OK may be a slight exaggeration but there are a LOT.) Tons more within driving distance. I like Sapporo's (Acoma and Scottsdale Rd).

Not sure what your age group is? My niece is 26 and likes this part of town. I do know that the more "nighclubbish" type places gravitate just a bit south in Scottsdale and Phoenix. But that is definitely a doable driving distance.
Yea, Im 27 and single. We checked out Tempe--Marguerita Rocks on Mill and 5th-- also the Library, and Gordon Biersh (like 3rd and mill) saw much more that I would have loved to goto. We also hit the Pink Taco and Club Suede--and another place I cant remember the name--- Camelback and Scottsdale rd area... great time.

Quote:
I am not a huge outdoor person, but I do know there are mountains (that is why this is a valley...) and hiking areas nearby. I know my sister took my son and niece hiking somewhere on a mountain and they werent gone more than 90 minutes including drive time and the hike itself.

Renting is a good plan to start if you are not familiar with the area. That will let you learn your way around, explore and decide without committing long term.
Yes, love the outdoors. During my visit we spent most of the time up in Flag and Sedona hiking, etc.

I really like Arizona, but will not buy there until I am sure of it--- I just want to know the best neighboorhood to rent and start out in. If I move to Phoenix, and dont like it after a year--- then oh well, Ill go on to the next city, or whatever.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrepper View Post
Hi again all, coming to Phoenix in a few months for a second visit. On my first visit I didnt have much time to explore being on a multi city trip== I only got to see Tempe and Scottsdale.

From research and locals I have heard Chandler, Apache Junction, Scottsdale, Peoria, Cactus, Gilbert and Queen Creek are the best areas; Tempe, Ahwatukee, Glendale, and Litchfield Park are mediocre, and South Phoenix, Tolleson, and the west side are the worst areas-- talking crime gangs and ghetto wise.

I am going to be looking to start out in a rental house or an apartment if I decide to move here, so would like a nice area.

Also, close proximity to good night life scene for a single, mountains, and outdoor activities-- also automoitive industry businesses is a plus.

Any thoughts?

--Sosh
You've discussed mostly suburban areas outside Phoenix itself. Don't forget that there are numerous attractive neighborhoods within Phoenix city limits that meet your requirements. The Arcadia, Biltmore, and North Central areas, for example, all offer good apartment complexes with ready access to hiking trails, Downtown cultural events, and Scottsdale nightlife. Really, the first step is to determine where you'll be working and then define an acceptable commuting radius from that location.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:33 AM

674 posts, read 2,552,282 times
You might want to look into east Phoenix. I live in a new apt. community near 40th and Van Buren streets (Apartments in Phoenix Arizona : Escala Central City - Home : Mesa) and although many people would avoid the area, I think its OK. Its minutes from downtown Tempe (great night life for a single since ASU is right there), downtown Scottsdale, downtown Phoenix (D-Backs, Suns, Dodge Theater, museums and other goodies) Papago park (great for outdoors), Arizona Mills mall and other shopping, there are lots of small used car dealers and the new cars dealerships on Camelback (for Phoenix) and McDowell road (for Scottsdale) are only a few minutes away. Probably everything your looking for. There are some homeless and prostitutes but they don't bother anyone.

Arcadia Cove Apartments are much better than were I am because its a nicer neighborhood (Arcadia neighborhood) but are more expensive ($700 for 1 bedroom I think). I would live there if I could afford to. You can walk to Target, Sears, supermarket, dining, and other little stores.

And then there are the luxury condos you can buy but let me know if your interested and I can dig up more links.

I forgot to mention the light rail, you will be a few minutes away from it (^_^) When it comes to location, east Phoenix is probably THE best area to live in.

Last edited by MaxPower123; 01-18-2008 at 07:42 AM..

Old 01-18-2008, 02:27 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Guess you never heard of Surprise. And it is on the North West side. Safest place in the state.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:55 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyx5 View Post

Just curious, since you haven't lived here for over 30 years why would you even try to give the poster advice

Old 01-18-2008, 09:00 PM

29 posts, read 155,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrepper View Post
Peoria, Glendale, and Litchfield Park are on the west side. All of those cities have their share of beautiful places and expensive homes. It's not exactly all crime ridden..
And who told you Queen Creek and Apache Junction were the best areas??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area