Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 PM

35 posts, read 36,509 times

Advertisements

Commute is to Tempe or most often the airport.

Larger family with pets- who wants to enjoy living- hanging out in the back yard bbq fire pit- we are not the keeping up with the neighbors type. We want to live it up and enjoy Arizona and finer things but we are not into the social scene. Our rental budget is 3,500 month but prefer under. In this consideration schools do NOT matter anymore.

We did like the paradise valley and 51 area when initially at the resort.

Short back story- we are used to having 5+acres up north. We settled into very far north Scottsdale- by carefree:cave creek. We love the beauty of the area, truly do. Suddenly several things are coming up as our household goods are now here and ready for delivery :-/

We frankly do not belong in a HOA- knew that prior but still tried. today we got official warning for our trash container being left out overnight into a non collection day! Lmao... And this was a more relaxed HOA - there were many homes around here but this one we could leave a car parked in the drive. HOA isn't a good fit for us wish I could afford 20 acres around here

Our almost high schooler - whom we based our rental around a great district - isn't that into traditional school after all - if we allow her online this location isn't important any longer.

I'm just tired of this specific rental for several other reasons (house isn't sealed, bugs galore and have had paid exterminated every 3 weeks, no improvement), cold pool that is only clean for a few hours after the weekly pool service, we spend hours a day skimming, I could go on and on but for nearly 3500 it's too much labor physical and paid $ beyond.

We have examined the cost of breaking the lease and are ready to bail.

Where are the beautiful pockets in less desirable districts that we can zoom in on ASAP? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:44 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,146,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2myeyeballz View Post
We frankly do not belong in a HOA- knew that prior but still tried.

If you knew this ahead of time why did you even attempt to live in one? This makes zero sense to me and I see it all of the time.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
If you knew this ahead of time why did you even attempt to live in one? This makes zero sense to me and I see it all of the time.
Honestly- after looking at 24 houses and 3 weeks straight at the resort- we were exhausted and over it. This HOA seemed a little more relaxed because we were allowed to have a vehicle parked in the drive way overnight. honestly we haven't seen the HOA handbook but the vehicle issue was asked before even viewing the last 10 homes, def tried to follow common sense rules and be good neighbors despite it not being our preference.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:47 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,090,107 times
No advice, sorry. I can't imagine living under the tyranny of a HOA. I'd end up painting my house pink with purple polka dots and (gasp!) leaving my garage door open for HOURS AND HOURS!!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:06 PM

There's gotta be a place for us Beverly hillbillies to lease and "live" in the Phoenix area for under 3500m right? Schools no longer matter. Jeeps and a bigger truck to park. Seriously we are out of here, done investing trying to make it all work- preferably this week- areas to search? Anyone?

I'm going to be a rebel and sneak the trash container to the curb after dark... Shhh...

Old 05-05-2015, 08:05 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,916,217 times
Try looking for something in the old orange grove areas in North Mesa, around Greenfield and the 202. Large lots, older homes, few hoa's. Might have to look even farther east into far east Mesa and Apache junction to avoid the hoa.

Ultimately, wherever you land, if the primary issue is no hoa, prepare yourself to accept something at least 20 years old.

ETA: You might find a non hoa in the Arcadia area. That would still be a reasonable commute to Tempe.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:03 AM

77 posts, read 112,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2myeyeballz View Post
today we got official warning for our trash container being left out overnight into a non collection day!
Not one person in your larger family could be bothered to roll your toter back up the driveway at any point in the day?

Had you not received an official warning, how long would you have left it out there?

I'm guessing your ccr's set out the rules for trash containers.

Most HOA problems can be avoided by reading the ccr's BEFORE buying and then FOLLOWING them (which you agreed to do by buying in the HOA).

Old 05-05-2015, 10:13 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,916,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyf View Post
Not one person in your larger family could be bothered to roll your toter back up the driveway at any point in the day?

Had you not received an official warning, how long would you have left it out there?

I'm guessing your ccr's set out the rules for trash containers.

Most HOA problems can be avoided by reading the ccr's BEFORE buying and then FOLLOWING them (which you agreed to do by buying in the HOA).
Let it go. He already said he doesn't want to be in an HOA. And that's perfectly fine.

I'd bet his neighbors will appreciate that he is moving elsewhere. I'm an HOA fan - all my houses have been in them, and I'm happy about that. And when I've had those neighbors who didn't follow the rules, I want those neighbors to be compliant, or be gone.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:05 AM

77 posts, read 112,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Let it go. He already said he doesn't want to be in an HOA. And that's perfectly fine.
I only made one quick comment that I don't think was too out of line given the specifics of the situation.

Yes, it is perfectly fine not wanting to be in an HOA. So then don't buy in an HOA (or don't complain about it after you do). "I can't run an auto repair business in my garage, my HOA is unfair."

I don't think it's reasonable or courteous to leave out a trash bin overnight after collection, HOA or not (unless one is out of town, has physical limitations, etc).

If I go to the time and expense of maintaining my property, I should be able to enjoy it, for example, sitting out front to admire my efforts without having to look at trash bins for any longer than necessary.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:37 PM

498 posts, read 544,669 times
Was it really so difficult to roll your trash bin up the driveway after trash day? How many times did you walk right by it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area