Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 08:57 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,071 times

Advertisements

I've searched high and low for this answer, but I recently bought a house and one of my friends will be moving in. How much (percentage-wise) should I set aside for tax purposes?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-09-2015, 05:38 PM

135 posts, read 165,369 times
You need to provide more information for anyone to answer this question. Besides, it isn't a Phoenix area question. You'd get better exposure in the a real estate group.

Did you purchase the house to be a rental? Will you be living there? What condition is the house in? Will it need any significant repairs in the next year? These will all affect the answer. Unless it is a very unique situation, you are likely to show a loss on paper because of the building depreciation. As a general rule, rental property is for cash flow to the landlord. It rarely shows a profit. Don't get worried, this is not a bad thing.

The easy answer is whatever % tax bracket you're in now.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:44 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,071 times
Thanks for that answer. I just thought of posting it here because perhaps someone in the area had experience with this exact scenario.

I purchased the house to live in it and I will be living there. The house is in great condition after I did lots of work to it prior to moving in. I will be doing some more repairs as soon as I've got the money, but it's all cosmetic. Everything functions perfectly in the house.

Perhaps I'll post this in another section of the site, but I figured it was worth a shot here.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:56 PM

135 posts, read 165,369 times
Unless it is a duplex and you have registered it as a rental property, claiming rent income or loss on your taxes will be a red flag for audit, both with the IRS and AZ. Because you said this was a friend of yours, I would recommend just having a roommate situation and not having anything affect your taxes. You are just living with someone and sharing expenses. Have the friend pay the utilities and you pay the mortgage for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area