Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 09:13 AM

81 posts, read 99,086 times

Advertisements

Hi forum,

Several questions on chilean mesquite, mine is just planted its about 5 feet tall and skinny as a bean pole with a support pole there.

What is general maintenance and best watering to grow it quick?

How long will it take for it to be fully grown or even just about 10 feet to create some shade?

Any tips for better growth?

Thanks as always to anyone who replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 AM

281 posts, read 368,097 times
Can't be of too much help here, but I do know that they are one of the faster growing trees, faster than, say, Ironwood.

My established tree gets drip (but really I'm thinking about plugging the drip) and a deep hose soak once a month or so at this time of the year. As I understand, the key is infrequent but deep watering. Also, once established, water VERY sparingly during the winter. It'll probably live, but the leaves turn yellow and the tree creates a whole lot more mess with winter over-watering.

As yours is young and not established yet, it may be a whole different story.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:09 PM

461 posts, read 1,313,272 times
They grow VERY fast. I started with a small one like yours and a couple years later it grew quite a bit and created some decent shade. I had mine on a drip system and never did deep watering, which I hear is best for growth and to push the roots further down into the soil. They are a hardy tree and will not require fertilizer for more growth. The more water you give, the faster it grows. After 3 years, I had to cap off the drip to the tree as it was getting water from nearby plants that were also on a drip.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:05 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Just googled it. You see them around the valley. They are nice shade trees. But after windstorms it seems like there are quite a few that have lost big limbs. Even some that were blown over.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:51 PM

461 posts, read 1,313,272 times
When pruning, don't cut it into an umbrella shape (very common). Keep it a more natural shape to prevent them from blowing over during storms.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:56 PM

281 posts, read 368,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Just googled it. You see them around the valley. They are nice shade trees. But after windstorms it seems like there are quite a few that have lost big limbs. Even some that were blown over.
That's true, but I'd wager that they're usually poorly taken care of trees. The following can help prevent disaster from the monsoon storms.

1) Infrequent and deep waterings, as mentioned earlier. Draws the roots down and spreads them out so the tree won't be root-balled. Think about it; it's a lot easier to take down a tree if it's roots stick right around its base, as opposed to one with a healthy root system that reaches a broad area.

2) Keep it thinned out. They grow quickly, so they need to be kept thinned out, meaning don't JUST trim its outsides, go on the inside and thin it out appropriately. This way, its canopy isn't quite as much of a sail in the wind. This is especially important before the monsoons. Look at nature: the trees out in the desert don't have this problem because they don't get as tall as they do in landscaping, because they don't get watered. So we make them tall and then they blow over if they're not properly thinned out.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:47 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
I agree on the uprooted tree cause in the vast majority of cases. Deep watering is key.

Mesquite's are very tough native trees on all levels and does provide great shade for our house. We have a Mesquite at least 35' tall. Since we owned this house, I haven't watered it and it has been years now. And short of trimming off some branches that start reaching low, I haven't thinned it out either. We also never had any big branches fall in major rain/wind storms, short of just a few small very thin end leaf branches. There's also no irrigation system hooked up anywhere near it as everything around it is native/xeriscape plants that get an infrequent watering by me. The only thing about a Mesquite tree is wouldn't want it close to a pool as it drops a decent amount of tiny leaves once a year for a few weeks. The same with some flower dust for another few weeks.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:51 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJude View Post
Hi forum,

Several questions on chilean mesquite, mine is just planted its about 5 feet tall and skinny as a bean pole with a support pole there.

What is general maintenance and best watering to grow it quick?

How long will it take for it to be fully grown or even just about 10 feet to create some shade?

Any tips for better growth?

Thanks as always to anyone who replies.
We had two Chilean Mesquites, one blew over in high winds. The roots will not grow deep if you plant them by grass as the roots will stay where the water is. As other posters indicated, you want deep watering. These trees grow like crazy and I'm constantly pruning the one I have left to keep it from getting top heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: