Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 09:04 PM

11 posts, read 12,844 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My family of 3 (myself, my SO and our son) are moving into Phoenix. I have a job offer and start the first week of June. We are struggling with finding an apartment while we're on the east coast as almost every realtor/apartment agency, etc. will not rent to us unless we view the rental. We are okay with this and understand it, and I was able to do some area sweeping and rental hunting when I was out there a few weeks ago, I agree just because some of the houses I visited were... REALLY bad even though pictures were amazing looking online.

Does anyone have any resources for extended stays in Phoenix?

We'd probably stay in the extended stay for 2 weeks and aggressively look for housing while there.

ETA: I did do a search but the newest one was 2011... so looking for more recent information!

Last edited by GibbyGrubber; 05-18-2015 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: :) I did do a search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 09:08 PM

784 posts, read 924,228 times
There are extended stay hotels.....or you can sign a lease for a 3 month lease for an apartment, then from there it is month to month....some are very nice but you can expect to at least pay $1000/month for those in decent areas.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:57 AM

43 posts, read 68,720 times
My wife and I just are relocating to Phoenix soon too, and also considered the "extended stay" motel/hotel options. This is what we found. Extended Stay Americas have mediocre-to-poor reviews all over the east valley. The one closest to the airport has the "best" reviews but still have many iffy reviews as well. We mainly looked at google reviews and yelp. We had a hard time swallowing $1500-1800/mo for a places that the reviews make sound like they are fleabags, flophouses, etc.

Motel 6 has their own version, but their reviews were even worse.

If your budget allows, Marriot also has their own extended stays, but start at around $2500/mo for the cheapest, and go up from there.

What we ended up doing was using VRBO. It's basically people renting out furnished houses, condos, etc. We found something that has all the amenities you'd expect from a furnished place, with the added bonus of our own washer/dryer, parking near the door, etc. for far less than the extended stay. The main way to pay is via credit card.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2015, 11:08 AM

445 posts, read 516,582 times
When I moved out here 4 years ago, I stayed in a Budget Suites for about a month while I looked for a house. My wife was still back east with our dogs getting our move together, so it was just me. The one I stayed at was up on 27th Avenue and Yorkshire, almost to the 101, and I think I paid $169 a week for a "one-bedroom". It was pretty clean and I didn't have any safety issues.

Not sure what part of the valley you are trying to be in, but Budget Suites also has locations on Indian School and 3rd Ave in Phoenix and one in Mesa near Fiesta Mall on Dobson. The Budget Suites aren't the greatest but it was by far the nicest of all the weekly places I looked at.

Also, one thing that has caught on in the last couple years is AirB&B. Had that been around 4 years ago, I probably would have done that instead of one of those weekly apartment buildings.

Hope all that helps.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:02 AM

228 posts, read 344,328 times
Definite vote here for skipping corporate extended stay apartments, and going for VRBO/ Homeaway/ AirBnB furnished holiday villa accommodation. June is low season for Phoenix, so you'll almost certainly have lots of choice for very reasonable rates.

When we moved over from Europe in 2011, we stayed in holiday villas for the first 6 weeks whilst we found a rental and waited for our furniture to be shipped over. We actually did 2 weeks each in 3 different homes, and used it a way to check our potential areas for living: walkability and shopping in immediate neighborhood, what the work commute was like from there, etc. The kids loved the excitement of a new house every two weeks, picking a new bedroom, discovering what the new pool was like and what toys/ books there were for them to explore, etc.

We were renting spacious 4-bed homes with private pools, BBQs, Playstations and so on, for less than the 2-bed hotel-a-like apartments were pricing out. It was a really positive start to living here compared with 6 weeks in a cramped apartment.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:02 PM

11 posts, read 12,844 times
So, I wrote out a nice long post, but it was eaten...

Either way, we will be spending 3 days in a hotel as we found an apartment complex that has a quick application turn around and it's a month-to-month situation, 6 miles from my job and is MUCH cheaper than anything I have found on the great suggestions. I used Airbnb in the past and have loved it but the weekly prices are more expensive or the same price as the extended stays...

We will be okay with an "ok" month-to-month cheap rental while we get to know the area and look for a more forever home situation.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:11 PM

170 posts, read 223,143 times
check Orbitz or Tripadvisor, you can find a clean hotel w/nice pool for $50/night, make a vacation out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: