Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 AM

254 posts, read 342,950 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

We are in our late 50's and lived in Seattle for years until we moved to Boise 6 months ago hoping my wife's
asthma would improve in addition to her allergies. It's better than the Pacific Northwest Seattle area but she
is still suffering.

With that at hand we are seriously considering moving to a 55 plus community in your area IF, IF indeed she
would have relief. Can anyone offer their opinion relating toward asthma and allergies for your area?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:39 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,149,519 times
I don't have asthma but my allergies have progressively gotten worse after living here for 20 years. Feb-March are an extremely bad time for me personally. Since everyone is different you may want to consult an allergist in the Phoenix area or even where you live now for a professional opinion

Old 05-19-2015, 12:54 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,818,712 times
It all depends what your wife is allergic to and what causes her asthma. For me I'm much better when I'm in Az. and my allergies are almost non existent. The only thing that tends to bother me is the dust but nothing compared to back east. I was there 3 out of the last 5 months and bet I didn't take more than 5-6 Claritin. When back on the east coast I need one everyday year round. Here in the north east I'm allergic to every tree,grass,pollen,mold,dust etc. My asthma is triggered from this too especially the mold. As soon as I enter a house that's even the slightest bit musty my throat closes up and chest gets heavy. I think your wife would need to come out for a while and see for herself if they'd be better or not. I've heard many say they've never had allergies until they got to Az.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:36 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,747,448 times
This is a tricky one. I grew up with asthma in the northeast and it got pretty bad. Moved to the south where it wasn't quite as bad and then to Arizona where it seemed like new allergies sprang up!!! I still think the dry climate may be better, but there are lots of people here who suffer from severe asthma. Not trying to be a downer, but want you to be aware. It would be good to visit us to see how your wife responds to the environment.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:42 PM

254 posts, read 342,950 times
Thank you for the replies! I think it would be wise to maybe rent a couple of months in the winter and see what happens to her.
We are entertaining the possibility of moving into a 55 plus community as they don't really have any here in Boise.
My wife had 8 sinus surgeries and no more left to be done. She developed asthma in her early 50's and she had allergy testing twice but all came up positive which basically meant they couldn't determine the specific etiology.

It was worse in the Northwest Seattle area and I suspect something with the trees there as she also feels that way at our Montana property.
We lived in Israel for a couple of years and she did wonderful there and was able to cut her medication and inhaler in half. We attributed it to the arid climate so the is part of the reason we chose Boise as it is high desert but again, its back to a large degree!

Thank you for the replies and if anyone else has an opinion we would love to hear from you.

Regards

Old 05-19-2015, 05:12 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,333,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
It all depends what your wife is allergic to and what causes her asthma. For me I'm much better when I'm in Az. and my allergies are almost non existent.

This.

Not all allergies are the same. It all depends on what, exactly, a person is allergic to.

I suffered from very bad seasonal allergies when I lived in Iowa, specifically for about 6 weeks in the spring when the trees were budding...and even more specifically, OAK trees. I moved to Phoenix and have ZERO allergies here. Why? I moved away from what I was allergic to. Oak trees. I have read that there ARE some varieties of oak trees here, but the difference is they do not shed their leaves and re-bud every spring like where I lived before (budding= major pollen). I have not seen any here, myself, though.

On the other hand, I could have moved here and found out I was allergic to pallo verde trees or some other plant that I had not been exposed to before. It just all depends on the individual.

I'd say you would be smart to give it a test run here, specifically in the spring (Feb/March) to see how she does.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:04 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,747,448 times
If Arizona doesn't work Colorado or Utah may also be possibilities as they have arid climates as well.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:06 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,092,643 times
I grew up in Phoenix with asthma and allergies. As stated above it all depends on what you're allergic to. Crapshoot unless you know for sure what your triggers are.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:22 AM

733 posts, read 857,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
Hello to all,

We are in our late 50's and lived in Seattle for years until we moved to Boise 6 months ago hoping my wife's
asthma would improve in addition to her allergies. It's better than the Pacific Northwest Seattle area but she
is still suffering.

With that at hand we are seriously considering moving to a 55 plus community in your area IF, IF indeed she
would have relief. Can anyone offer their opinion relating toward asthma and allergies for your area?

Thank you!

You won't know until you move and try it out. WORTH A TRY.

Some people get relief, a lot of relief. Some don't. Some have trouble with dust, olive pollen, etc.

I would rent, if you can, a nice place - try that first.

AND, the two ends of the state are totally different. Flagstaff is going to be way different than Tucson. She might get relief in one, not in the other.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:49 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,630,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
You won't know until you move and try it out. WORTH A TRY.

Some people get relief, a lot of relief. Some don't. Some have trouble with dust, olive pollen, etc.

I would rent, if you can, a nice place - try that first.

AND, the two ends of the state are totally different. Flagstaff is going to be way different than Tucson. She might get relief in one, not in the other.
True. A person can live in one place, in one state -- all their life -- and not have problems. Move to another place within that same state, and... BOOM! Suddenly you learn a new word: allergies.

No, not me...

However, the new word that you might learn when you move to Arizona is caliche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area