Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 5,370 times

Advertisements

My family of 3 will be relocating to AZ in Aug. My husband's job is in Tempe Town Lake. I'd like to avoid a terrible commute, 45 minutes tops. We have a 10 year old. I'm looking for a safe area with good schools. We are more laid back and like nature and art. Any suggestions are welcome. We need to start the search. We will be visiting soon.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 03:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,585,618 times
Well, you might as well stay on the east side, and closer rather than further away. Tempe schools, in either district, are good. Chandler as well. I would start in those places if I were you.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:15 PM

5 posts, read 8,761 times
Gilbert and Queen Creek are great family neighborhoods, fairly newly developed and fairly well planned out. They are bedroom communities a little bit out of the congestion of Phoenix - proper (which includes Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Glendale, Peoria, etc.). Those communities are going to give you a bit more laid back community and nature. They are a fairly short distance to museums and art galleries.

I would highly suggest that if you want to educate a thinking kid, not a drone (in schools that teach to the test), that you consider applying right away to one of the Great Hearts schools in the area. They do an excellent job of encouraging the kids to think for themselves and not just parrot back what they have been taught. Keep in mind that Arizona is one of the WORST states for education, so when somebody tells you it is a great school, keep in mind that is great compared to the crappy schools that are here. If you want your kid to pass every test with flying colors, consider the BASIS schools. They are top rated in the NATION, not just Arizona. Both BASIS and Great Hearts schools are charter schools and are tuition free. You may have expenses for uniforms and some of consumable books, but the cost is minimal compared to a private school. Both charter school systems have several schools within the Phoenix area.

The best schools in the Phoenix area are the Paradise Valley School District, Scottsdale, Gilbert and the Kyrene School District - from what I hear. All of which are a reasonable driving distance to Tempe. The Kyrene School District is in Tempe, so you may want to focus on that area. Some areas of Mesa, Tempe, and Scottsdale are really nice, but can be expensive.

From my experience, stay on the east-side of Phoenix area. We are in the west valley, in the Goodyear area, which is a great community and only a 1/2 commute for my husband to Tempe, but most of museums, culture, and interesting things to do are on the east side. Also, coming from the west you are always driving into the sun for both the morning and evening commute.

I have no idea of what your home budget is, because that can make a huge difference in what area to focus on. A great house for $250,000 in one area is crap in another area.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:15 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,970,728 times
Is he going in to be in the new State Farm Building??

What kind of housing budget do you have, that will make a difference. Like observe mentioned, Tempe and Chandler are nice, great schools. Stick to south Tempe, its a better area. Also check out Awahtukee, if you like nature you will be very close to South Mountain's back side and houses are still reasonable.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:44 PM

39,180 posts, read 51,499,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMom2dd View Post
Gilbert and Queen Creek are great family neighborhoods, fairly newly developed and fairly well planned out. They are bedroom communities a little bit out of the congestion of Phoenix - proper (which includes Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Glendale, Peoria, etc.). Those communities are going to give you a bit more laid back community and nature. They are a fairly short distance to museums and art galleries.

I would highly suggest that if you want to educate a thinking kid, not a drone (in schools that teach to the test), that you consider applying right away to one of the Great Hearts schools in the area. They do an excellent job of encouraging the kids to think for themselves and not just parrot back what they have been taught. Keep in mind that Arizona is one of the WORST states for education, so when somebody tells you it is a great school, keep in mind that is great compared to the crappy schools that are here. If you want your kid to pass every test with flying colors, consider the BASIS schools. They are top rated in the NATION, not just Arizona. Both BASIS and Great Hearts schools are charter schools and are tuition free. You may have expenses for uniforms and some of consumable books, but the cost is minimal compared to a private school. Both charter school systems have several schools within the Phoenix area.

The best schools in the Phoenix area are the Paradise Valley School District, Scottsdale, Gilbert and the Kyrene School District - from what I hear. All of which are a reasonable driving distance to Tempe. The Kyrene School District is in Tempe, so you may want to focus on that area. Some areas of Mesa, Tempe, and Scottsdale are really nice, but can be expensive.

From my experience, stay on the east-side of Phoenix area. We are in the west valley, in the Goodyear area, which is a great community and only a 1/2 commute for my husband to Tempe, but most of museums, culture, and interesting things to do are on the east side. Also, coming from the west you are always driving into the sun for both the morning and evening commute.

I have no idea of what your home budget is, because that can make a huge difference in what area to focus on. A great house for $250,000 in one area is crap in another area.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck.
I don't know if this is actually the case or what it means in time, but I read a while back that there is an 11,000 kid long waiting list for 9000 slots in Basis schools.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:01 PM

397 posts, read 605,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMom2dd View Post

No. You omitted Chandler which is definitely better than Gilbert (Chandler doesn't have a crazy school board) and slightly better than Kyrene.

Kyrene School District is in Tempe, Chandler and Phoenix (Ahwatukee) and Guadalupe, not just Tempe.

The Great Hearts and Basis Schools are outstanding but are very difficult to get into. I think there were 11,000 applicants to the Great Hearts Schools in the Phoenix area for the upcoming school year. Most of those kids were waitlisted. Applying early does you no good because there is a lottery. Everyone is in the same lottery regardless of when you apply. It's simply luck of the draw.

No one should count on Basis or Great Hearts for their kids.

Last edited by JTW2013; 05-20-2015 at 05:11 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 01:30 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,961,013 times
Chandler would be my top choice.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:38 PM

5 posts, read 5,370 times
I did know that AZ isn't known for having the best schools. The schools that are ranked on Greatschools.com are not based on national standards? I thought there had to be some good ones though. I did looked at Basis and am nervous after reading a post about a very large amount of homework and stress. I want her to have time to be a kid and she's sensitive. On the other hand, I don't want my daughter to be bored either. She is in the gifted program where we live now.

I have been looking at houses in the Chandler//Gilbert area. I also read someone's comment about Gilbert saying that their child didn't fit in because the family wasn't religious. We aren't overly religious ourselves so that was a concern of mine. We are looking in the 350-400 range if that helps.

I truly appreciate all of your thoughtful responses. It has been a tragic year for my family and I'm nervous about how my daughter will adjust.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:35 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,507,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking1018 View Post
I did know that AZ isn't known for having the best schools. The schools that are ranked on Greatschools.com are not based on national standards? I thought there had to be some good ones though. I did looked at Basis and am nervous after reading a post about a very large amount of homework and stress. I want her to have time to be a kid and she's sensitive. On the other hand, I don't want my daughter to be bored either. She is in the gifted program where we live now.

I have been looking at houses in the Chandler//Gilbert area. I also read someone's comment about Gilbert saying that their child didn't fit in because the family wasn't religious. We aren't overly religious ourselves so that was a concern of mine. We are looking in the 350-400 range if that helps.

I truly appreciate all of your thoughtful responses. It has been a tragic year for my family and I'm nervous about how my daughter will adjust.
Realize there are very good schools in AZ and very bad schools in AZ. You just have to know where to look. AZ has 3 schools, all in the Phoenix valley, that made it in the top 10 in this years US News 2015 best high schools in the nation which is an impressive showing:

https://homes.yahoo.com/news/u-s--ne...230841932.html

Here's the full list from the study:

Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News

And the rankings in AZ:

Search Arizona High Schools | US News

Just another source for you beyond greatschools that you might find useful.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:53 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,319,597 times
I personally would find a place in the Hamilton High School boundaries. I live in the area and it is 18-20 minutes to Downtown Tempe (Stadium area) in non rush hour times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area