Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:40 AM

37 posts, read 67,337 times

Advertisements

So it looks like I will be accepting a job offer in Florence and trying to look at possible placed to move to. I will be working full time there and my wife will be looking for work as a social worker. So the question is where would people suggest we live?

Random points

- looking for a newish (2005 or newer) house under $200,000 or so with either a private pool or a community pool near by. Looking for 1500 to 2300 sq feet or so. Any suggestions on nicer HOAs would be helpful.

- school are not important to us - our kids graduate from HS next week

- clearly there appear to be some cheap houses in the Florence area (i.e. Magma Ranch) that are really tempting but worried this will limit my wife's work opportunities

- how would the commute be to Florence from say Queen Creek, Mesa, Chandler, Casa Grande, or even Maricopa? Is there any reverse commute or are the highways too small for that to even happen. I don't mind a longer commute - I often commute 40 minutes now and its not a big deal for me - and am generally on motorcycle so gas use is pretty low but would prefer less than an hour - preferably less than 45 minutes.

- I don't really mind being 45 minutes from "civilization" but on the other hand wouldn't mind being closer to the major metro area but am pretty flexile on this one. Like the housing and some of the more open spaces farther away but still like to go out to eat on the weekend. So like I said, not a huge factor for me but would not want to be any farther out than Florence.

-I have spent some time out there and am generally familiar with the area to the point I know I could be pretty happy with any of the areas.

thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Last edited by MovingBadger; 05-29-2015 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 11:27 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
I commuted from Casa Grande to Florence many years ago. It's doable at 30 miles, not much traffic.

That south area of Chandler along highway 87 is not a place I would pick to live. Mesa is too far. Maricopa would be a bit of a drive, better to use Casa Grande.

It's QUEEN CREEK, by the way.. that's also I suppose doable, but I've heard a lot about the traffic on Hunt Highway. With a reverse commute, though, it could be okay.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:19 PM

63 posts, read 141,660 times
Anthem merrill ranch is a very nice newer community with all the amenities plus a golf course it is located on hunt highway about ten minutes from florence

Old 05-29-2015, 07:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
Your wife could apply at the state of AZ for a job. Probably would find social worker jobs in Casa Grande which would be close to Florence. Website is www.AZdes.gov. also www.AZstatejobs.com

Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Your wife could apply at the state of AZ for a job. Probably would find social worker jobs in Casa Grande which would be close to Florence. Website is www.AZdes.gov. also www.AZstatejobs.com

There's a hiring freeze on right now.. agencies can get exceptions, but it's not easy. She might end up working in the east Valley, assuming she can find a job with the state or anyone else.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:57 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradc344 View Post
Anthem merrill ranch is a very nice newer community with all the amenities plus a golf course it is located on hunt highway about ten minutes from florence
This one. Awesome community and right out of town. Why commute from a place like CG?

Old 05-30-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
This one. Awesome community and right out of town. Why commute from a place like CG?

I agree that Anthem at Merrill Ranch is a good, close option. But there is nothing wrong with Casa Grande, either. Lots more there than there was when I lived there!

Old 05-30-2015, 09:18 AM

483 posts, read 665,966 times
Quote:
If you ask me...and the OP kinda did...there really is no other choice than Anthem. We just bought a place there in the Sun City part of the community two weeks ago, but the "other" section would probably work for him.

Plus, the OP's name is Moving Badger. My wife and I are also moving Badgers (or Cheeseheads) as we will be moving down there from Wisconsin in a couple of months.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:10 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I agree that Anthem at Merrill Ranch is a good, close option. But there is nothing wrong with Casa Grande, either. Lots more there than there was when I lived there!
I know but it is a little bit of a haul. I guess not terrible mind you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
If you ask me...and the OP kinda did...there really is no other choice than Anthem. We just bought a place there in the Sun City part of the community two weeks ago, but the "other" section would probably work for him.

Plus, the OP's name is Moving Badger. My wife and I are also moving Badgers (or Cheeseheads) as we will be moving down there from Wisconsin in a couple of months.
There's also Magic Ranch and a few other new nice developments in the area. Anthem is simply the biggest and has the most amenities. Also Coolidge right next door has some similar newer developments as well but I really think the ideal home for OP is along that stretch of Hunt highway somewhere.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
There's also Magic Ranch and a few other new nice developments in the area. Anthem is simply the biggest and has the most amenities. Also Coolidge right next door has some similar newer developments as well but I really think the ideal home for OP is along that stretch of Hunt highway somewhere.
It will only be bad if the wife ends up having to commute the other way, into the Valley. From what I've heard, that is not fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area