Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,811 times

Advertisements

I am currently in a teaching program at UW-Milwaukee in Milwaukee, WI. I have one more semester until I can "graduate" (fall 2015). I would have one more semester after that for my student teaching to receive my Wisconsin teaching licence.

Just this past week, our governor signed a bill that make it no longer required to be teacher licensed in the state of WI in order to teach. If I were staying here I feel like it would be in my best interest to get the licence because of the job market, but I am moving to Arizona, preferably Phoenix area.

I am considering just graduating in the fall, and would rather work toward my Arizona teaching licence, but I do not understand the licensing program. Does any one know if I would get my WI teaching licence, if it would transfer to Arizona (the test-PRAXIS 2 does I believe)? Is a state licence required in Arizona? I am drawn to charter schools and urban areas, but I am very open. My degree will be from grades 1-8.

Thank you in advance for ANY help or direction for answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 01:06 PM

296 posts, read 364,682 times
I am not an Educator so I don't have first hand knowledge. I did find the Arizona Department of Education site that gives information on reciprocity. There is also a section for Comparable Out-Of-State Exams.

Hopefully a local educator will be able to provide more information. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,086,646 times
I don't know if AZ has any sort of reciprocity with WI, but I would say it would be best for you to go ahead and get your WI license. You'll still have to pass the AZ constitution test, which is harder than the U.S. test.

http://www.azed.gov/educator-certifi...f?2015newest.0

Old 06-04-2015, 06:11 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,609,315 times
Certification Requirements

Reciprocity

I don't see Wisconsin on the list (out of state exams). Unless you take the Praxis Exams in Wisconsin

Old 06-04-2015, 06:37 PM

639 posts, read 972,440 times
You'll also need to take an AZ history course and an ESL course approved by AZ for licensing here, and possibly other courses as well. I have my masters in education and am considered highly qualified by CT standards and it still wasn't honored through reciprocity. You may be able to get a temporary transfer license (I don't remember the exact terminology for that) until you complete the other coursework.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:52 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,566,806 times
It makes a HUGE difference if you teach in your state for at least two years on your WI issued license. 2 years makes it easy to transfer to most states without adding a lot of unnecessary tests and classes. Every states reciprocity agreement is different with every other state so to find exact requirements you would be best served by contacting an HR rep from a larger district in Arizona (like Dysart) and asking what your exact situation would require. Just email their recruiter who can get you exact information.

Have you seen teacher pay in Arizona? I considered it, but the pay is so low. I ended up in California and even with the higher cost of living I am doing much better. You should also consider Vegas. The district is huge and messy, but your experience will depend on the school where you land and the teacher pay is much better. Also consider Nevada has NO state income tax.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:37 PM

545 posts, read 1,485,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Have you seen teacher pay in Arizona? I considered it, but the pay is so low.
My wife taught in Wisconsin (in a suburb of Milwaukee) before we moved out here. Unless things have changed in the last 2-3 years, the starting pay here is basically the same as Wisconsin. The big difference is in the benefits. She didn't have to contribute anything towards her pension when she was there. That's since changed, but it's still only like 5% or so for WRS versus 11.6% for ASRS. Health insurance there was also generous and with very low premiums. Not sure what it is here.

The bottom line is that, as a starting teacher, the take home is going to be slightly lower here, but not significantly lower. But the cost of living is less here too. It'll probably be close to a wash when all is said and done. You probably will not top out here as high as teachers do in Wisconsin though.

As far as licensing goes, OP will most likely have to take the basic skills tests and content area test, as well as the AZ Constitution test (2 years after you get your initial license to complete the AZ Constitution test IIRC). My wife also held a license in Illinois, which has testing reciprocity with AZ, so she didn't have to do anything to get her license here other than the fingerprinting. Wisconsin doesn't require those tests though, so OP will have to take them.

OP - Since you are in a state certified teaching program, it's most likely going to be a seamless process to get your Wisconsin license. It's in your best interest to get it, while also getting your AZ license, especially since the WI license is valid for 5 years. Complete your program in Wisconsin and student teach there. If you do it there, you won't have to do it here. I don't believe all charter schools require a license here, but it certainly helps to have it.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited by brian571; 06-06-2015 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,811 times
Default Thank you everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Have you seen teacher pay in Arizona?
First of all, I want to say thank you to EVERYONE who responded. I will definitely look into everything suggested. I am highly considering Arizona due to the weather (a little different than WI haha), and because I have friends there.

I have looked at the wage different. As suggested, the starting wage is within $3,000 roughly but every district is a little different. I DO NOT know any specifics for benefits, but I do know that WI's governor has changed a lot, and WI teachers now have to pay much more of insurance premiums than they did before 2010. To be honest, anything more than the $8-$12 I can make as a college student is going to be better. As long as I can pay the loans back and afford to live, I will be happy. I've wanted to be a teacher for years and will be grateful when I receive my first contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area