Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:03 PM

525 posts, read 542,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Living in Northern Chandler (West Warner + Dobson). Very ideal location, not so far from airport and 2 major downtowns (Phoenix DT and Tempe DT). My commute time is 10-15 minutes to work (South Tempe).

Yes, it is not the most desirable place in Chandler but its not bad either. I observed that most of my neighbors are old though
I don't think that area in Chandler is bad at all--alot of people in Anderson Springs etc who have lived in that area a long time.

Of course, some people would think that 15 minutes for a commute is HORRIBLE. LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 03:16 PM

Here is an interesting study that finds most millennials want and do live in the suburbs based on affordability of home ownership.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html

Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 AM

202 posts, read 221,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Here is an interesting study that finds most millennials want and do live in the suburbs based on affordability of home ownership.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html
Great study. You failed to mention this part:

"But nationally, homeownership isn’t looking too great for millennials, compared with past generations. In 2015, the homeownership rate for the under 35-year-old population hit an all-time low of 31%, according to the census. That’s down from 43% in 2005, the Harvard study said."

Even if young people want to buy homes, must of them aren't interested in spending over half an hour commuting. In addition to that, many don't have the financial opportunity to buy a house. Briefly reading through this forum, you sound like someone who is trying to justify an absurd almost hour long commuting lifestyle. Honestly, it confuses me so much that people would move out to the outskirts of the Valley and commute almost an hour to get to work. For what? Affordable housing, but without the presence of poor people? Justify it all you want, but that's probably the reason why you even chose Gilbert.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post

"But nationally, homeownership isn’t looking too great for millennials, compared with past generations. In 2015, the homeownership rate for the under 35-year-old population hit an all-time low of 31%, according to the census. That’s down from 43% in 2005, the Harvard study said."

Even if young people want to buy homes, must of them aren't interested in spending over half an hour commuting. In addition to that, many don't have the financial opportunity to buy a house. Briefly reading through this forum, you sound like someone who is trying to justify an absurd almost hour long commuting lifestyle. Honestly, it confuses me so much that people would move out to the outskirts of the Valley and commute almost an hour to get to work. For what? Affordable housing, but without the presence of poor people? Justify it all you want, but that's probably the reason why you even chose Gilbert.
And the study also said this:

It said among the misconceptions were that millennials want to live in urban locations closer to employment, commercial and social centers; prefer the flexibility of renting; and are unwilling to take on the financial risks of ownership in the wake of the housing market collapse.

“The evidence suggests, however, that homeownership decisions by younger households have much more to do with affordability than location and lifestyle preferences,” study authors said.

Do you think most people in the East Valley like long commutes? Of course not. Do you think we chose Gilbert and said "Oh goody, now my husband has a long commute! Super duper!" Of course not. But we love the East Valley. Great quality of life, safe, affordable and in our opinion, better schools than Phoenix. Plus our friends and family are in the East Valley. That far outweighs a commute. And we would rather have that commute, own our home with a low mortgage payment, and make money off that home if we sell than pay an astronomical amount for rent and get nothing in return. If millennials want to live in the city and own a home- fine. But they will have to save longer and manage their money to do it. My 3 cousins have done it in another state, so its not impossible.

Oh and by the way, a 40-45 minute commute is not almost an hour. That's like saying, "30 minutes is almost 45 minutes". Furthermore, we lived in one of the poorest sections in Chandler for quite some time, so your "poor" comment is laughable.

Last edited by belgirl; 07-25-2017 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post

Spot on post, repped 👍

Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
As a former Gilbert resident, I know where the borders are. The closest part of Gilbert in to town is the NW town limit with Mesa at Country Club and Baseline, that is still 20 miles from downtown Phoenix, while on the other end, the intersection of Power and Riggs is the SE town limit, 40 miles from downtown Phoenix

And these days, I have a 7.5 mile reverse commute, I live at 19th Ave&Maryland and my job is at 67th Ave&Northern, but I don't want to live in the west valley. And on top of that, my fiance is attending ASU main campus (Tempe) and her job is at Price&Frye in Chandler, so Central Phoenix works best for us
I'm confused...your fiance has a commute of almost 26 miles one way. How does Central Phoenix and short commute times work here?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:46 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,702,555 times
Quote:
I'm confused...your fiance has a commute of almost 26 miles one way. How does Central Phoenix and short commute times work here?
Her other job was in Surprise at Cotton and Waddell, which she is quiting. Plus, it's a reverse commute, which takes some of the sting out. My commute is short though. I get to work in 15 mins, using surface streets

Plus, being off the light rail, she uses the rail to get to school and back, saving her the drive and parking fees

Old 07-25-2017, 11:53 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,311,798 times
Keep in mind many people who live on the fringes don't have long commutes. Central Phoenix isn't anything to write home about employment wise, a lot of the jewels are going in the East Valley. My wife has a short commute to Tempe from Chandler. I have a 0.0 mile commute to my home office where I work 70% of the time running my business, and I have a small office less than 5 miles away as well. Not that Chandler is on the fringes, but I'm pointing out there's many employment opportunities in suburbs, Central Phoenix is not that impressive in that regard.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:00 PM

202 posts, read 221,917 times
Quote:
And the study also said this:

It said among the misconceptions were that millennials want to live in urban locations closer to employment, commercial and social centers; prefer the flexibility of renting; and are unwilling to take on the financial risks of ownership in the wake of the housing market collapse.

“The evidence suggests, however, that homeownership decisions by younger households have much more to do with affordability than location and lifestyle preferences,” study authors said.

Do you think most people in the East Valley like long commutes? Of course not. Do you think we chose Gilbert and said "Oh goody, now my husband has a long commute! Super duper!" Of course not. But we love the East Valley. Great quality of life, safe, affordable and in our opinion, better schools than Phoenix. Plus our friends and family are in the East Valley. That far outweighs a commute. And we would rather have that commute, own our home with a low mortgage payment, and make money off that home if we sell than pay an astronomical amount for rent and get nothing in return. If millennials want to live in the city and own a home- fine. But they will have to save longer and manage their money to do it. My 3 cousins have done it in another state, so its not impossible.

Oh and by the way, a 40-45 minute commute is not almost an hour. That's like saying, "30 minutes is almost 45 minutes". Furthermore, we lived in one of the poorest sections in Chandler for quite some time, so your "poor" comment is laughable.
I don't understand why you're using the fact that you moved out of a poor neighborhood in Chandler to a likely newer place in Gilbert (probably without said poor people) to reduce my argument. If anything you just proved my point. And please, 45 minutes is fairly close to an hour. Think about this, you're spending 90 minutes a day just driving/carpooling. That is absurd. You're (or whoever it is) wasting almost a movie's worth of time just sitting in a car. I just can't understand that. But whatever floats your boat. I just wanted to point out how that was a confusing concept to me. I'm not from that world and if that's what you like then I don't mind.

Also, please don't use your desire to stay in the East Valley as justification. There are plenty of nice, decent established neighborhoods in Chandler that you could've moved to from your "poor" neighborhood in Chandler (pat yourself on the back for that immense sacrifice you made by living there for so long ).

Old 07-25-2017, 12:01 PM

So her commute was at least 40 minutes one way when she worked in Surprise and she is now commuting from 19th Ave and Maryland to South Chandler and you are making snarky comments about my husband's commute? Do you find any irony in that?

Sorry @southsidegal6743 I think we have gotten off track to your original post! I used to live in your area and have thought it was pretty decent. Never had any issues. I will be sad if it takes a drastic downhill turn. Alot of good memories...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area