Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 09:29 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,181,863 times

Advertisements

I'm weighing whether to keep my current home and rent out vs. selling it. Is it a good idea at all to be an out of state landlord, with property manager and all? Also, what expenses do I have to factor in aside from PITI, pool service, yard service, prop mgr? I'm trying to understand if it would be worth it at all. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 10:30 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,698,371 times
You might want to start by talking to some local property managers - most sfr's that I've seen for rent require the tenant to maintain the lawn & pools seem to be mixed..

I'd also ask for a copy of the PM's contract & read it with a wary "worst case" eye. A PM is authorized by you to bind you contractually to tenants, contractors & darn near anything else they feel like doing. Personally, I wouldn't trust my own family with the kind of power that a PM really *needs* to have to do their job effectively.

If you go the other way & require them to let you hire contractors & screen tenants, you're just paying them to cash your checks & take a cut.. (after holding the funds for most of a month!).. PM's usually keep any late fees collected for themselves.

As for expenses, usually figure most of a month's rent to find a tenant, a few hundred to clean & fluff the house/yard/pool between tenants +1 month's vacancy between tenants. It's most of a grand to hire a good attorney to do an eviction, but those are not that common. Most sfr tenants in the valley stick around for around 4 yrs on average <----- that's an ARMLS statistic.

Maintenance & repairs isn't really too bad if the house is in good shape when you rent it. Things like garage door openers, built-in microwaves, toilets etc tend to die at random intervals & they aren't really that expensive. I personally don't like to include any appliances beyond a stove/microwave/dishwasher - washers/dryers & fridges are expensive & unreliable - better to let the tenant bring their own. If you provide an appliance, you have to fix it if it dies.

Converting a primary residence to a rental involves some accounting gymnastics & I'd highly recommend the services of a CPA for that - whatever you pay the CPA is a business expense & they'll save you big piles of cash at tax time. I keep a separate bank account for our rentals ---> rent goes in, expenses go out of that account only. With a pm, they'll likely just reduce your check for bills that they pay.

If you're looking for "things that could happen to a landlord", you might want to check out the "documents" tab at doctorevictor.com - he's got sample leases, faq's & suggested addenda there that kind of point out pitfalls (and I've seen lot's of PM's leases that didn't address some of those issues!).

To be honest, I dunno if I could hand over my rentals to a PM - I just don't trust anyone who doesn't share DNA with that kind of power.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2015, 11:48 PM

44,642 posts, read 61,669,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I'm weighing whether to keep my current home and rent out vs. selling it. Is it a good idea at all to be an out of state landlord, with property manager and all? Also, what expenses do I have to factor in aside from PITI, pool service, yard service, prop mgr? I'm trying to understand if it would be worth it at all. Thanks!
Is this rental in Phoenix.
Taxes, insurance, permits to consider.
https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...s/d_037814.pdf

Old 06-07-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Is this rental in Phoenix.
Taxes, insurance, permits to consider.
https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...s/d_037814.pdf
It would bethe only rental, but thanks for the info. I think just as important is to register the rental with the city otherwise there is a steep fine.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
You might want to start by talking to some local property managers - most sfr's that I've seen for rent require the tenant to maintain the lawn & pools seem to be mixed..

I'd also ask for a copy of the PM's contract & read it with a wary "worst case" eye. A PM is authorized by you to bind you contractually to tenants, contractors & darn near anything else they feel like doing. Personally, I wouldn't trust my own family with the kind of power that a PM really *needs* to have to do their job effectively.

If you go the other way & require them to let you hire contractors & screen tenants, you're just paying them to cash your checks & take a cut.. (after holding the funds for most of a month!).. PM's usually keep any late fees collected for themselves.
Thanks for all the great info! Unfortunately you do not have much choice as an out of state landlord. At max I could the PM do the tenant screening and deal with the tenant myself once in the property, maybe with an appliance insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area