Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 AM

15 posts, read 13,418 times

Advertisements

An alternative would be parking in Scottsdale.

Do any of you have info on the rates for parking? Or is it free? ( I doubt it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 08:52 AM

2,790 posts, read 7,464,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubba View Post

As stated in my earlier post, most employers in Scottsdale do not ask their staff to share in the cost of parking. Paid parking is generally encountered only during special events (e.g. near the stadium during Spring Training baseballs games) or for valet parking near popular clubs, bars, and restaurants on busy weekend nights. See this link for a guide to public parking in Downtown / Old Town Scottsdale. Of course, this map doesn't even cover private parking lots and garages that most Scottsdale employers have for their staff and visitors to use.

Downtown Transportation

Old 06-16-2015, 09:22 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Are you sure this park and ride goes into old town Scottsdale and not downtown Phoenix? Seems like a huge waste if they pick people up in South Scottsdale and drive them 2-3 miles into Old Town so I doubt this is the case. It's not like Manhattan where there are parking/traffic concerns, if you are willing to drive to South Scottsdale I would drive the extra 3 minutes into Old Town yourself.

The park and rides anywhere in the Valley serve whatever routes pass through them. The two park and rides for south Scottsdale are along Scottsdale Road, so they do serve the 72 route (among others) which would take the OP into Old Town. And remember, the 72 runs to far north Scottsdale, so people who use the park and rides can travel a lot further than Old Town. (I rode the 81 route almost from one end to the other the other day. Those north south Tempe-Scottsdale routes carry a lot of people.) It isn't that far, true, but if you have to pay for parking, it makes sense. If the OP doesn't have to pay to park, then he/she can choose to drive, too.

To the OP-- I use a park and ride lot in a different part of the Valley, have used several of them at various times. No issues.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:32 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The park and rides anywhere in the Valley serve whatever routes pass through them. The two park and rides for south Scottsdale are along Scottsdale Road, so they do serve the 72 route (among others) which would take the OP into Old Town. And remember, the 72 runs to far north Scottsdale, so people who use the park and rides can travel a lot further than Old Town. (I rode the 81 route almost from one end to the other the other day. Those north south Tempe-Scottsdale routes carry a lot of people.) It isn't that far, true, but if you have to pay for parking, it makes sense. If the OP doesn't have to pay to park, then he/she can choose to drive, too.

To the OP-- I use a park and ride lot in a different part of the Valley, have used several of them at various times. No issues.
I guess it depends on how much parking costs. I'd pay a lot to save time on my commute and not be at the mercy of a bus / bus driver

Old 06-16-2015, 12:53 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I guess it depends on how much parking costs. I'd pay a lot to save time on my commute and not be at the mercy of a bus / bus driver
Yup, I'd say if driving is an option than it is usually the only option I'm going with unless, I'm going to a concert with no parking or something like that. I like having my own a/c controls, being able to smoke and have a drink, listen to my music and take shortcuts in traffic etc. etc. I had to take PT for a short time in San Diego mostly on the trolley lines, which blow away Phoenix light rail. I honestly did not mind the trolley. The busses on the other hand were a pretty hellish experience. I hope to never HAVE to ride PT again.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Yup, I'd say if driving is an option than it is usually the only option I'm going with unless, I'm going to a concert with no parking or something like that. I like having my own a/c controls, being able to smoke and have a drink, listen to my music and take shortcuts in traffic etc. etc. I had to take PT for a short time in San Diego mostly on the trolley lines, which blow away Phoenix light rail. I honestly did not mind the trolley. The busses on the other hand were a pretty hellish experience. I hope to never HAVE to ride PT again.

Most of the buses in the Valley system are clean and modern. Those on the express routes and the major north south Tempe Scottsdale routes are particularly nice. Public transit varies a lot from city to city. I've ridden it in other cities where it isn't nearly such a nice experience. I like being able to read, listen to music, have a drink (in the appropriate container), carry on conversations with other riders, etc. (I don't smoke, so I don't care about that.) YMMV. There's still people who couldn't be pried out of their cars with a crowbar.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:41 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Most of the buses in the Valley system are clean and modern. Those on the express routes and the major north south Tempe Scottsdale routes are particularly nice. Public transit varies a lot from city to city. I've ridden it in other cities where it isn't nearly such a nice experience. I like being able to read, listen to music, have a drink (in the appropriate container), carry on conversations with other riders, etc. (I don't smoke, so I don't care about that.) YMMV. There's still people who couldn't be pried out of their cars with a crowbar.
Out of curiosity I transit routed Glendale from my house via google. 3 hours!? That's a 30-40 minute car ride. That was my biggest bus issue that I didn't bring up. It takes so much longer to get anywhere by PT.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Out of curiosity I transit routed Glendale from my house via google. 3 hours!? That's a 30-40 minute car ride. That was my biggest bus issue that I didn't bring up. It takes so much longer to get anywhere by PT.

Again, it depends on where you need to go, and what time. It can take a long time to make certain trips, you are correct. I don't know where your house is vis a vis Glendale, but I don't doubt your numbers. The express commute routes? Not so much. Could I drive there a little faster? Yes. Do I want to, and spend the extra money on gas and wear and tear? No.

But, we are getting away from the OP's question....

Old 06-16-2015, 03:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 7,464,442 times
There are some advantages to using public transport, and some disadvantages. It's different for each passenger on each trip. The OP seems interested in bus routes and park-and-rides due to concerns about potential parking costs at an unnamed Scottsdale workplace. ubba -- why not just contact the HR department at your future workplace and ask if there is a charge for parking? That seems like the quickest way to know if all this is necessary.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:20 AM

122 posts, read 273,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubba View Post

I don't live near Old Town Scottsdale any more, so my info might be dated. There used to be free parking next to the library (NW corner of Civic Center and 2nd St). You'll want to check it's still free and there are no time restrictions. If you get there early enough, there should be ample parking. Your fall back plan might be Fashion Square and catching a trolley. And as others have said, the 72 bus is a viable option.

Good luck and best wishes for the new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area