Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 05:45 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times

Advertisements

Allegiant is upset that the airport is providing a subsidy to another airline (Elite Airways) that proposed to fly to both Salt Lake City and San Diego. Allegiant is threatening to move to Sky Harbor if the deal goes through. The subsidy was offered to Allegiant and they did not take it. The latest is that Elite will start service to San Diego, but not SLC, where Allegiant has service to both Ogden and Provo. Allegiant is clearly seeking feedback from past customers to see if moving is something that would work for them.

Personally I have no use for either the airport or Allegiant but like the idea of shifting some of Sky Harbor's load elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 06:54 PM

784 posts, read 924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have never flown Allegiant and don't really want to, but I have a friend in SD that I might like to visit and they are the only one that flies direct from here to there. They nickel and dime you too much! By the time you pay a fee for this or that, you haven't really saved all that much.
Why would you even comment on something that you by your own words don't know anything about.

I have flown Allegiant over 50 flights the last few years....only one of those flights was a bad flight....left at 5am instead of 9pm the night before....I've never been stranded as I have been on most other common carriers.

As far as cost...they are generally 50% less than most other prices....I am known as the families travel agency....check most other popular sites including carriers own sites.

They don't nickel dime you....you don't have to pay 1 cent more unless you want too....including a free carry on personal bag that some carriers charge..ie...spirit.

I would prefer to fly out of sky harbor though.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:01 PM

784 posts, read 924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Nickel and diming at it's worst.

Is Allegiant still charging that asinine "convenience fee" ? The only way around it was to purchase your ticket at the airport. Who does that?
I have never paid a "convenience fee" and I buy all my tickets on line and use the smart phone app for my ticket....no paper....below is an example of a recent purchase....no convenience fee.

That is for a round trip direct flight....the cheapest ticket on Travelocity would have been over $500.00

Airfare$156.09Fed Excise Tax$11.71Segment Fees$8.00PFC$9.00Sept 11 Security Fee$11.20Seat Selection Fee$39.00Carrier Usage Charge$26.00Total Trip Cost:$261.00

Old 06-18-2015, 08:11 AM

45 posts, read 38,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
I have never paid a "convenience fee" and I buy all my tickets on line and use the smart phone app for my ticket....no paper....below is an example of a recent purchase....no convenience fee.

That is for a round trip direct flight....the cheapest ticket on Travelocity would have been over $500.00

Airfare$156.09Fed Excise Tax$11.71Segment Fees$8.00PFC$9.00Sept 11 Security Fee$11.20Seat Selection Fee$39.00Carrier Usage Charge$26.00Total Trip Cost:$261.00
They changed the wording some time ago. It is now called "carrier usage charge".

Old 06-18-2015, 09:23 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
Why would you even comment on something that you by your own words don't know anything about.

I have flown Allegiant over 50 flights the last few years....only one of those flights was a bad flight....left at 5am instead of 9pm the night before....I've never been stranded as I have been on most other common carriers.

As far as cost...they are generally 50% less than most other prices....I am known as the families travel agency....check most other popular sites including carriers own sites.

They don't nickel dime you....you don't have to pay 1 cent more unless you want too....including a free carry on personal bag that some carriers charge..ie...spirit.

I would prefer to fly out of sky harbor though.
Because I once lived in a smaller city where Allegiant was the only non stop service to many cities. In researching flights, I ALWAYS compared many sites, prices, and airlines. I never used Allegiant BECAUSE of the over the top amount of fees for this or that; by the time it was all added up, they weren't really much cheaper. Add to that the large number of reports I have read about engine issues with the antiquated equipment they fly and the fact that for many flights they don't fly daily. (I don't want to schedule my trip around their schedule.) I don't have to actually sit on one of their planes to know they are not really a good value. I would rather pay a little more and go on my schedule and have piece of mind that they aren't going to have to turn around and go back to the airport because of engine issues.

When I do make that trip to SD to visit my friend, I will probably use another airline, even if it means a layover.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:31 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Because I once lived in a smaller city where Allegiant was the only non stop service to many cities. In researching flights, I ALWAYS compared many sites, prices, and airlines. I never used Allegiant BECAUSE of the over the top amount of fees for this or that; by the time it was all added up, they weren't really much cheaper. Add to that the large number of reports I have read about engine issues with the antiquated equipment they fly and the fact that for many flights they don't fly daily. (I don't want to schedule my trip around their schedule.) I don't have to actually sit on one of their planes to know they are not really a good value. I would rather pay a little more and go on my schedule and have piece of mind that they aren't going to have to turn around and go back to the airport because of engine issues.

When I do make that trip to SD to visit my friend, I will probably use another airline, even if it means a layover.
Not to take this thread too far afield, but when you say SD, I'm assuming you don't mean San Diego (which is part of the subject of this thread due to the Allegiant/Elite issue), but are referring to somewhere in South Dakota?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Not to take this thread too far afield, but when you say SD, I'm assuming you don't mean San Diego (which is part of the subject of this thread due to the Allegiant/Elite issue), but are referring to somewhere in South Dakota?
Yes, the state of South Dakota. Sorry, I mentioned that in my post upthread and just assumed you could all read my mind and knew what I meant

Old 06-18-2015, 11:26 AM

246 posts, read 401,631 times
Allegiant isn't for everybody, but if you can work around their schedule of flying some places once or twice a week and you don't need a lot of their add-ons, they can be a good deal. We flew back for a funeral in MN awhile back on Allegiant and paid a small fraction of what we would have paid any other airline. Again, if person can work with the parameters they set up, they can be an attractive alternative, especially for going into some towns where few if any other airlines fly.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:38 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Yes, the state of South Dakota. Sorry, I mentioned that in my post upthread and just assumed you could all read my mind and knew what I meant
Not in this thread, you just said SD.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Not in this thread, you just said SD.

Thanks for taking the time to point that out!

SOUTH DAKOTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: