Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 2,515 times

Advertisements

After 25 years in the "real world", I decided to go back and get my Masters and was fortunate enough to graduate with it last May. I am now going to be moving to Arizona to get my PhD and am looking for housing. Being in my late 40s, I would really like to live in a nice quiet place where I can have plenty of peace to write my dissertation. The Riverside area has been suggested to me as an area that is mostly older grad students and starting out professors, but It seems as if crime may be an issue. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 03:54 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,484,857 times
I live in Tempe, and I don't know what you mean by "Riverside"-- I know of no area that goes by that name. There are areas near the Salt River/Tempe Town Lake, yes, but if I were you and were looking for something quiet, I'd go south of campus, not north, into South Tempe or even north Chandler. Nice, safe (there's some crime everywhere) areas. The university is still nearby, within a few miles, but not so close that you are even aware it's there if you don't have to go there on a given day.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:10 PM

80 posts, read 261,328 times
Same age group. Recently moved to Sienna at Riverview. Fairly quiet for an apartment complex, a wide range of age groups here. Grounds are very nice and well kept and a huge plus for us is the proximity to riverview park for a little post dinner walk. No issues with crime (so far!) There are crime mapping tools on the Tempe and Mesa city websites if you want to check that out.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:18 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,484,857 times
Ah, Riverview. Which is actually Mesa, but now I know what area the OP is referring to... Lots of amenities around there. I think the immediate area is OK crime wise (although apt complexes have some level of theft of and from cars). If you are doing crime mapping by ZIP code, there are going to be other parts of that ZIP code which may skew the statistics a bit.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:29 AM

Yeah, someone told me between Mill and Harvey and I found the name Riverside on a Tempe neighborhoods map. However, it looks like it is just what I was not looking for, completely swamped with student housing.

farmgirlsuz, I checked out Sienna and it looks wonderful, just a tad over my current budget. However, it looks like I may have to up my budget just a bit to get out of the "student zone".

I think Chandler is going to be the right thing for me. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:35 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,610,206 times
OP, you don't state your budget or if you're looking for an apartment or a house to rent, but I'd also recommend Chandler. Your only distraction would be lawn mowers and leaf blowers.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 PM

567 posts, read 790,098 times
No advice...just congrats! What's your major?

I went back for my master's when I was in my 30s. Now I'm in my 60s and taking advantage of free course materials online from USC. Never too old to learn,

Best of luck!

Old 06-28-2015, 04:01 PM

LagunaMom,
Thanks so much. PhD in Theatre and Performance in the Americas with an emphasis on performance as cultural expression.
It looks like I have found a townhome in Mesa for just under $800.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:21 PM

567 posts, read 790,098 times
Cool.
My son was in Herberger, too. Earned his BA in Film & Media Production. Didn't do anything with it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area