Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 05:34 AM

159 posts, read 226,229 times

Advertisements

Hi... the search wasn't working, so forgive me if this subject was covered before.

Well, we just moved to Frank's On Shea to a beautiful condo, which is really nice. The only issue is javelinas. I saw 3 large ones with 2 babies late last nite and our dogs were barking like crazy, which didn't seem to phase them at all. We were far enough away, so I was able to make a lot of noise and go in a different direction. Please don't tell me stories because I've already read enough about small dogs, and I just want to keep our dogs safe. And if that means moving, then, so be it.

I found a site selling "preditor pee" and they have products that are supposed to drive javelinas away. Sounds gross but they have mountain lion urine, granules, as well as scent tags to put on trees. I don't know if this could really work, but it does make sense. Even if we could get them so they don't come in our little section - that would be great. Has anyone heard of these types of products?

Meanwhile, I'm seriously upset with myself, as I feel like moving already and we just moved in. People had told us about the javelinas - I just didn't know there would be so many of them. I really don't know why this management company is apparently doing nothing to solve this problem. These animals just roam around at night, like they have just taken over. They must eat the seeds that drop down from the trees, patches of grass, and there is a wash nearby. And I'm wondering if this will get worse when we get monsoons?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 06:53 AM

770 posts, read 837,949 times
A little research and you would of found out it's normal especially when you live near the opened desert. You will also see coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, and even bears. Hell I live in Tempe and we even see the occasional coyote coming from South Mountain they come down the canal into the neighborhood. Just do your due diligence and watch out, or move into the core of the city.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:09 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,969 times
Javelinas are a feature. They add to your property values. Not everyone has big smelly destructive wild beasts running around their neighborhood you know.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:00 AM

281 posts, read 368,537 times
It's very rare (but possible) that they'll bother you or your dogs as long as you're around.

Keep a lookout for people leaving food out for them (including dog/cat food, etc..); this is usually the reason they get aggressive.

Otherwise, enjoy the wildlife. Or move.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:53 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,968,833 times
You live right near the edge of suburbia, bordered by the protected McDowell Mountains. Wildlife is to be expected! If you wanted to move to the desert so bad, you must learn to live with the wildlife. Just respect them and their distance and all should be just fine. Rattlesnakes, javalinas, coyotes, mountain lions, bobcats, scorpions... respect them and leave them alone. They were here long before any of us slobs showed up and ruined their environment.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:34 AM

675 posts, read 1,415,223 times
We live on the edge of the town with open desert around and have javelinas roaming thru every now and then. The only negative aspect is javelina poop. Other than that they don't do much and typically try to avoid you as much as you're avoiding them.
If you have your dogs fenced in, and/or don't let them roam free, then there should be no issues.
Javelinas are pretty far down on the list of wildlife I worry about.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
I say lucky you! This is the one desert animal I have yet to see, and would love to see! And with babies, even!

I think you got some good advice above.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Javelinas in NE Scottsdale are not unusual. As stated above, when they are fed (and there have been people feeding them) they do get aggressive. A friend of mine lives not all that far from you, and javelinas that at least one person in the area was feeding were terrorizing people and dogs along a walking/jogging path. Game and Fish were called, and they shot five of them.

I don't know if any of those repellents work.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:23 AM

48 posts, read 100,786 times
We occasionally see coyotes in Gilbert near SAN TAN MALL! I am not surprised if you see in outlying areas.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antispam View Post
We occasionally see coyotes in Gilbert near SAN TAN MALL! I am not surprised if you see in outlying areas.

Coyotes are very urbanized-- not surprised to see them in lots of areas that are built up. Saw one trotting down the grass along Hardy Drive in Tempe, north of Warner, by my bus stop several months ago. Javelina are a little more on the outskirts, but they will come into neighborhoods bordering the fringe if they are getting fed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area