Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,439 times

Advertisements

Alright,
So three months ago I was driving to school in my first car. I hadn't got insurance on it yet, but I planned to that day because I got my check and I needed insurance so I wouldn't get in trouble if I was pulled over or just so happen to get in to an accident.

Back in March, when the weather was being bi-polar, it was one of the snow/rain sleek days so I knew that I needed to drive carefully. I was driving only going about 20mph when I got slammed in to the driver in front of me. The driver behind me hit me, and just took off, leaving me and the other driver in the road.

We had made sure we were both alright, I had told him I didn't have insurance on me and he told me not to worry about anything because the only damage he had was paint chippings on his back bumper. Meanwhile, my entire front bumper was bent downward.

He said he had to call it in just so no other drivers would rear end us while we were trying to go on about our day. A cop had showed up and asked us "Do you really need me here?" We both kind of just stared and shook our heads.

He told us to write our information down and go on about our day. I knew, even though I had no insurance I still needed to be responsible and see that I am at fault, even though the car who caused it took off.

The man I rear ended kept telling me "It's not a big deal, don't worry about, drive safe."

Well, I just got a letter in the mail from his insurance agent saying his company wants $1,608.64 for damages. He had a few pieces of chipped paint...no where near what kind of damage my car had.
So my step-mom's attorney messaged him saying it was bogus and that estimated price was too ridiculous, for someone who only works a part time job, to pay.

It's a little odd, that now, three months later I receive a letter saying I need to pay up. Why so long?

The insurance agent contacted him back giving me two different options:
1.) Either go to court, risk losing my license for not being insured at the time, and pay 60% of the total cost.
or
2.) Set up a payment plan with the insurance company and end up only having to pay 40% of the total cost.

I, personally chose the second option as did my attorney. I've since tried to contact the insurance agent numerous times to talk. I've emailed, left voice messages and called at least three times this past week.
She has yet to contact me back. It's getting ridiculous and stressing me out. At this point I am not really sure what to do.

I have had insurance since the accident and haven't had an accident yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:14 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,110,666 times
you were at least partially at fault for apparently following too close to the vehicle in front of you....yes, the vehicle behind you was at fault, also....

take responsibility for your actions!.....

I take it you're a new driver 16 or 17 years old?....just chalk it up as a learning experience.....PLEASE drive carefully, don't tailgate, drive defensively, don't be a jerky driver!.....thanks

that 40% plan sure sounds like a great deal for you.....

sorry to be semi-heartless, but I don't appreciate people who don't take responsibility for their own actions!!

why do you need to talk to the insurance agent?....didn't it get settled when you chose option #2?.....

Old 06-20-2015, 10:19 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,753,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM2279 View Post
Back in March, when the weather was being bi-polar, it was one of the snow/rain sleek days so I knew that I needed to drive carefully.
I must have missed the Phoenix March snow day.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:37 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,644,227 times
It may well be that the driver who slammed into you and drove away was uninsured as well. Unfortunately, there are plenty of uninsured drivers out there who will choose a first option of DRIVE AWAY. FAST. NOW!

When & IF possible, get license numbers of those kamakazi drivers, and perhaps the cops will find that torpedo they were piloting!

Old 06-20-2015, 11:06 AM

107 posts, read 203,694 times
To answer your question about why so long before you got a bill, that's not an unusual (or unreasonable) time frame. The insurance company probably made him get a few estimates, a body shop probably had to schedule him for the paint work (which can take weeks to months - they seem to be the slowest business in the auto industry!), and then the billing had to go back to the insurance company and the insurance company then had to try to track down any insurance you may have had before they finally contacted you to pay what you rightfully owed for your collision.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:12 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,801,589 times
Sorry for your misfortune, JFM . . .

One portion of this scenario concerns me . . . How were you able to register your new vehicle without Proof Of Insurance?

Without sounding overly heartless, I strongly feel anyone driving without insurance, regardless of the actual reason and/or excuse, definitely needs to be severely punished up to but not limited to Jail Time and Vehicle Seizure.

Just be thankful the damage was minimal and there was no personal injury or death.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:27 AM

6,146 posts, read 8,029,077 times
I agree with you, Bummer, but since I moved to AZ I've registered two cars and an RV here. I brought my insurance proof with me every time but was never asked for it, much to my surprise.

As an aside, I don't think the OP is from AZ anyway...

Old 06-20-2015, 11:34 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,275,829 times
You don't carry insurance so you don't get in trouble you carry insurance to protect you financially from an accident.

OP, you need to quit trying to make sense of it all and pay for the damage you caused that you didn't have insurance to protect yourself from.

Use it as a lesson learned and don't make such a foolish mistake in the future. You're lucky you're only dealing with a $1600 bill and not hundreds of thousands in medical bills.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:49 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,760,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I agree with you, Bummer, but since I moved to AZ I've registered two cars and an RV here. I brought my insurance proof with me every time but was never asked for it, much to my surprise.

As an aside, I don't think the OP is from AZ anyway...
when you buy insurance in Az, the dmv is notified electronically. They don't need to see your proof, unless the electronic notification failed.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:03 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,506,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
OP, you need to quit trying to make sense of it all and pay for the damage you caused that you didn't have insurance to protect yourself from.

Use it as a lesson learned and don't make such a foolish mistake in the future. You're lucky you're only dealing with a $1600 bill and not hundreds of thousands in medical bills.
Exactly.

OP, consider yourself very lucky they are giving you a break on paying only a % back. I didn't know insurance companies gave breaks in payment amounts for uninsured people on auto accidents. That's bizarre to me. Also consider yourself lucky you didn't get a ticket($) from the police officer if he decided to fill out an accident form and you couldn't produce insurance. And like others have said, consider yourself ultra lucky no one had bodily injury/sued you for serious injuries. That could have sunk you financially for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
sorry to be semi-heartless, but I don't appreciate people who don't take responsibility for their own actions!!
Agree. I lose my heart in these situations when I look at what I have to pay on my uninsured motorist option on my car insurance because there are people out there who decide not to carry insurance yet drive.

Last edited by stevek64; 06-20-2015 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: