Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 04:24 PM

53 posts, read 89,486 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My aunt and uncle are coming to Phoenix next winter and they plan on spending several months here staying with me in Mesa. My aunt is Catholic and asked me if there was a "traditional" Catholic church anywhere close by...what I think she means is a fairly quiet service, not a lot of loud/modern music, preferably medium-sized or smaller congregation, etc.

Does anyone know of any Catholic church like this in the East Valley? Also, my aunt doesn't speak Spanish, so a church that serves predominantly Spanish-speaking worshippers is probably not a good fit.

Just curious to see if there's somewhere close by where she might be able to attend mass and feel comfortable. If not, no worries!

Thanks for any suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:22 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,477,975 times
I'm not as familiar with the parishes on the east side of town, but would suggest looking at the websites and visiting the churches to see which best fit her needs. You may wish to visit Corpus Christi Catholic Church (Corpus Christi Catholic Church), which is at 3550 E. Knox Road (which is just west of the I-10 at Warner), not far from Mesa. They are one of the few parishes in Phoenix that still celebrate the Latin Rite Mass (on alternating Sundays at the 12:30 Mass) which is about as old-school as a Catholic church can get. They also offer contemporary Masses.

Queen of Peace Church, at 30 W. 1st Street in Mesa, also has a Latin Mass on Friday evenings, with thge responses projected on the wall to make it easier to participate. (Queen of Peace - Mesa, AZ - Our Parish) Their Mass schedule alternates between English and Spanish language.

She may also like to visit Church of the Resurrection (Resurrection Catholic Church - Home), which has both choir, hymn, and contemporary Masses. They're also not far from Mesa at 3201 S. Evergreen Road in Tempe.

Other Catholic parishes in Mesa, with links, are listed here: The Catholic Directory - Catholic Churches in Mesa (Maricopa County), Arizona, United States

Old 06-21-2015, 06:07 PM

397 posts, read 603,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine62819 View Post
Hi everyone,

My aunt and uncle are coming to Phoenix next winter and they plan on spending several months here staying with me in Mesa. My aunt is Catholic and asked me if there was a "traditional" Catholic church anywhere close by...what I think she means is a fairly quiet service, not a lot of loud/modern music, preferably medium-sized or smaller congregation, etc.

Does anyone know of any Catholic church like this in the East Valley? Also, my aunt doesn't speak Spanish, so a church that serves predominantly Spanish-speaking worshippers is probably not a good fit.

Just curious to see if there's somewhere close by where she might be able to attend mass and feel comfortable. If not, no worries!

Are you sure she doesn't mean "traditional" in the sense typically used by "traditional" Catholics meaning the latin Mass?

If so, there is a brand new Society of St. Pius church in South Mountain (not exactly okay with Rome) and there are approved latin Masses in Phoenix and in Mesa. See here for the addresses Mass Times | Mater Misericordiae Mission

Old 06-21-2015, 08:36 PM

416 posts, read 589,054 times
Corpus Christi doesn't do the Latin Mass - it's the Novus Ordo in Latin. Big difference.

If she doesn't mind the Novus Ordo but wants a quieter atmosphere, then the spoken 7am at Corpus might be to her liking. Quiet, reflective, I always preferred it to the crash-bang-boom of some of the modern Mass music (I was a parishioner there for years). Also, other parishes closer to you probably have a spoken (no music) Mass.

Here is the diocesan listing of parishes with websites included.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
I went to a funeral mass a few weeks ago at Holy Cross Catholic Church on Power Rd around Southern Ave. I am not Catholic, so I'm not familiar with the particulars, but part of the Mass was in Latin. Beautiful place. Seemed to be an older congregation.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:54 AM

53 posts, read 89,486 times
Wow, thanks for the replies everyone! I really appreciate it. I will definitely check these out and also double-check to see if my aunt is looking for the Latin mass.

Thanks so much!

Old 06-22-2015, 11:56 AM

888 posts, read 890,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine62819 View Post
Hi everyone,

Without a doubt, travel the distance and take them to Mater Misercordiae in Phoenix at 1537 West Monroe Street. Visit their website for further details. This is the church where one priest was murdered and the other (Father Terra) brutally beaten a while back. Father Terra is back on the saddle.

It doesn't get any more traditional than this unless you want St. Pius X in which case visit Our Lady of Sorrows at 750 East Baseline Road in Phoenix.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Without a doubt, travel the distance and take them to Mater Misercordiae in Phoenix at 1537 West Monroe Street. Visit their website for further details. This is the church where one priest was murdered and the other (Father Terra) brutally beaten a while back. Father Terra is back on the saddle.

It doesn't get any more traditional than this unless you want St. Pius X in which case visit Our Lady of Sorrows at 750 East Baseline Road in Phoenix.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
I read that Father Terra has been reassigned and is leaving at the end of the month. I'm sure that won't change the nature of the services there. www.phoenixlatinmass.com It is a LONG way from Mesa, however.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:38 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,477,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I read that Father Terra has been reassigned and is leaving at the end of the month. I'm sure that won't change the nature of the services there. www.phoenixlatinmass.com It is a LONG way from Mesa, however.
It is, although the services are beautiful. It is in a very crime-prone part of town, as well, which could be an issue for her relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area