Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,238 times

Advertisements

I am planning on transferring to Phoenix for work this fall. I currently live in the Midwest and I’d like to get some feedback on the best areas to live.

My job is located in the I-17 and 101 corridor (I think Deer Valley area?). I’m a young professional in my mid 20’s. Living in an area with a good social scene and still having a short commute to work is important to me. However, safety is my biggest concern. I’m looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment/townhouse and spend around $900/month.

Does anyone know which area would be a good fit for me? I would appreciate any specific apartment names if you know of anything good. If you have any other tips about moving to the area please share

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:41 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,974,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer8 View Post
I am planning on transferring to Phoenix for work this fall. I currently live in the Midwest and I’d like to get some feedback on the best areas to live.

My job is located in the I-17 and 101 corridor (I think Deer Valley area?). I’m a young professional in my mid 20’s. Living in an area with a good social scene and still having a short commute to work is important to me. However, safety is my biggest concern. I’m looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment/townhouse and spend around $900/month.

Does anyone know which area would be a good fit for me? I would appreciate any specific apartment names if you know of anything good. If you have any other tips about moving to the area please share

Thanks for your help!
Deer Valley is way up north. Not much up there except the Norterra shopping area, which is "meh" at best. You should look into the Desert Ridge area (think 101 and Tatum Rd area). There are some apartments up there that will fit your budget (their names escape me), and its as safe as you can get in the Valley. Youll be close to shopping, dining, and just a short ride to all that central Scottsdale has to offer.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:21 PM

47 posts, read 54,080 times
I also work in that area and was looking in the Arrowhead Ranch area, but aside from the mall and stuff there it's pretty suburban/family oriented. The apartment complex I looked into was Isle at Arrowhead, but they rented the unit I needed so I ended up elsewhere.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:05 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,749,257 times
Had to google "Minnesota nice" to figure out what that was supposed to mean.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:43 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,529,378 times
Think Peoria/Glendale...just my opinion

The only tip I can offer is that it's a whole new world, so with that being said
I'd really suggest an extended stay place until you have a better hands on
idea of the area

Old 06-26-2015, 03:21 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,306,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Deer Valley is way up north. Not much up there except the Norterra shopping area, which is "meh" at best. You should look into the Desert Ridge area (think 101 and Tatum Rd area). There are some apartments up there that will fit your budget (their names escape me), and its as safe as you can get in the Valley. Youll be close to shopping, dining, and just a short ride to all that central Scottsdale has to offer.
The are near I-17 and the 101 is Deer Valley. Lots of shopping in the Norterra center, yes, but also all along Happy Valley. Go south and you find more. Very close to grocery stores, lots of gas stations, movie theaters, etc all right there. Close to Bell Road. Really, if you can't find it in that area, you probably don't really need it. I lived in that area, and was literally minutes from Fry's, Safeway, Target, Walmart, movie theaters, etc etc etc. Everything I needed was RIGHT there, and then some. I wouldn't call it "meh" by any means, I would call it convenient!

Also close to Thunderbird Park if you like to hike and minutes to Wet N Wild if you like waterparks. A short drive to the Arrowhead area of Glendale if you need even MORE shopping.

The best part about that area is the fact that you ARE near the 101 and I-17, so it's easy to hop on there and go to wherever you need to be, including closer proximity to Sedona and Flagstaff and Las Vegas. Just a bit of a drive from the east valley.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:27 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,618,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Had to google "Minnesota nice" to figure out what that was supposed to mean.

Supposedly... Minnesota nice is the stereotypical behavior of people born and raised in Minnesota to be courteous, reserved, and mild-mannered.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,536 times
Default Scottsdale/Desert Ridge

I actually worked at Amex Technologies at that junction. I lived in Scottsdale off the Pima Princess exit on the 101. It took me probably like 15 minutes to get to work. Reason being everyone is going east in the morning (bumper to bumper traffic) and west in the afternoon. Living in the east valley is the way to go if you're looking for a quick commute. If you're younger I'd actually recommend living by Desert Ridge. It's cheaper and there's more to do AND it's even closer (8 minutes about) going west in the morning.

I actually did the opposite of what you're doing though. My wife is from the Brainerd area so we moved to Minneapolis, MN from AZ. Being a Seattle guy myself, I do appreciate my co-workers "Minnesota Nice" personalities. Don't lose it!

Old 06-28-2015, 02:10 AM

720 posts, read 735,740 times
Hi there Minnesota Nice - check out http://www.apartments.com/glendale-az/under-900 a lot of detail about each apartment complex - and then if you like a particular one - you can certainly find out more info by googling. Glendale is more family based but I'm sure there's a whole young crowd as well - what do you like to do - if you like a gym - The Y is on 59th Ave, restaurants/shopping there is a downtown area. Good luck -

Old 06-29-2015, 09:51 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post

Supposedly... Minnesota nice is the stereotypical behavior of people born and raised in Minnesota to be courteous, reserved, and mild-mannered.
Maybe it's the politically correct version of Minnesota Fats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area