Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 AM

93 posts, read 367,838 times

Advertisements

I like Chicago, but I'm not really in love with it. I've never felt Chicago was very open to just walk up and talk to and meet random people. To be quite honest, everyone I've met here was through work, a sports club/team, and mostly through other friends. I've found people in the urban environment to keep to themselves, go out and get drunk/flirt/hookup, and then keep to themselves and their little lives.

The urban thing and walking everywhere has never been my thing, I move here for a job, not for the lifestyle. I grew up in the burbs, I miss driving. City life is fun, but not what others make it out to be. Being in crowded bars with drunk stupid people is only fun once every couple months, and it's not where you're going to meet your future wife.

I know the heat is a factor, and some say they spend most of the summers indoors in the AC. I don't see this much different from people in Chicago spending most of the winter indoors because of the cold. What are the WINTERS like in Phoenix? Rain a lot? How cold does it really get down there? In chicago, it's freezing and you don't see the sun for about 6 months, it's rainy and crappy for the fall/spring, and you only get to enjoy 3 months max of summer and "outdoors" life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngurbanprofessional View Post
It sounds like the major negative factor about Phoenix is the weather. I can understand that aspect and get a good sense of what it is like. I will probably visit before I make a decision to move there.

What are some really good things you like about Phoenix over Chicago or other places? What do you love about it? What makes it different from other cities?
I really like Chicago. I was planning on moving there after grad school, but didn't. I feel it's very difficult moving away from a place you grew up in. The housing costs a lot and I didn't see a huge difference in salaries. We vacation there usually yearly and that's how I fell in love. The whole feel of Chicago and the suburbs is totally different from Phx. I don't know how to describe it.

I don't think we would move there anytime soon. I haven't experienced a winter either, so that may make me think otherwise. Unfortunately, I have to have a license for my profession and it takes a long time to get and not very easily transferable. Plus, I have been seeing Phoenix as my home more and more.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:55 PM

419 posts, read 1,526,265 times
Yuppie, if I were a young single dude like you, I'd give it a trial run, and rent until I made a decision. I made a mistake, not by coming here, but where I bought my house. I created an urgency in my mind that didn't really exist. Now I'm stuck in an area I dislike for a few more years. And my kids will have to go to private school (until we can move) just to have a positive environment.

Be sure if you try it that you don't give up your logistical freedom. My best advice is to give it a shot but keep yourself mobile for a while. That way, you can move back if you like, find better areas of Phoenix if you like, and not lose the time and money of prematurely planting your roots.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 PM

435 posts, read 1,576,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngurbanprofessional View Post
It sounds like the major negative factor about Phoenix is the weather. I can understand that aspect and get a good sense of what it is like. I will probably visit before I make a decision to move there.

What are some really good things you like about Phoenix over Chicago or other places? What do you love about it? What makes it different from other cities?
I'm a midwestern native, Detroit area originally, and lived in Phoenix for 4 years after stints in Denver and St. Louis. I've never lived in Chicago, but have many good friends who do, and have spent extensive time there. Based on my experience, I have to say that for a young professional, Chicago wins hands-down. Imagine L.A. without the ocean or the Hollywood "scene", and with uncomfortably hot weather half the year, and basically that's Phoenix. In other words, if you've ever experienced L.A., try to imagine subtracting its good or at the very least interesting attributes, and in a nutshell that's Phoenix. Essentially, the only thing Phoenix really has going for it is, well, the winters are nice & it doesn't snow. Beyond that, I can't think of much positive to say about it. It used to have an attractively low cost of living compared to most similarly-sized cities in this region of the country, but even that's not true anymore.

When I first moved there, I really enjoyed the parks & rec areas in Phoenix, especially as an avid mountain biker. But by the time I left, the few remaining parks in Phoenix with preserved mountains & desert landscape were becoming so ridiculously crowded during peak season that it was hard to enjoy them anymore. Plus, the air has gotten so noticeably bad in the winter months, that it's often hard to actually go out and enjoy the nice weather. The urban sprawl is seemingly endless, and the desert landscape is so largely paved over anymore, that to really experience good hiking or outdoor activities you end up driving for hours just to get away from the massive traffic and teeming crowds.

As a young single professional, I found that it was an incredibly isolated existence in Phoenix. That's partly because it's so spread out and there isn't any semblance of an urban professional community like there is in Chicago, and partly because the oppressive heat forces people to remain inside for such a large portion of the year. As I've described in other posts, it was basically like living in the world's largest, hottest suburb, with nothing at its core. Not exactly an ideal, socially conducive environment for a young single person, and it would be nothing like what you're used to coming from Chicago. I personally couldn't escape PHX fast enough.

Last edited by steve22; 01-23-2008 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 02:51 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,403,144 times
Default Visiting is a good start

You may want to try to visit Phoenix a few times before moving. Yes, the housing may be cheaper, but like others have posted, most everything else is on par with the rest of the nation.

When I say that housing is cheaper, really, it depends on where you want to live. Traffic in the greater Phoenix area is horrible. Living close to where you work may not be all that cheaper than in Chicago...especially since the housing market is pretty much down everywhere.

Also, you have to think "resale." I would think that Chicago would be able to offer you much better resale value than here in Phoenix.

What you like about Chicago you will not find easily in Phoenix...mainly because the area is spread out among many suburban areas. Yes, there are clubs and nightlife activity in Tempe, Scottsdale, and some parts of downtown during the weekend, but, I just gave you three areas that aren't close to each other in any way...get my drift?

So I recommend visiting a FEW times and really try to seek out what you would enjoy IF you lived here.

One last thing...if you ever decided to leave your company, keep in mind that Phoenix salaries will not be as high as Chicago's.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 PM

93 posts, read 367,838 times
These are all good points. I appreciate your feedback. It would probably be a mistake to leave an area that I do know that I enjoy for the most part to risk being miserable in another area. If I decide to explore this opportunity, I will probably take your advice and visit a few times first to see how I feel about it.

I also spoke to my manager about it and how I wasn't sold on Phoenix being a great area for a guy like myself and he said I should hold out on the idea then. He mentioned this won't be the only office my company plans on opening this year. Possibilities mentioned were Dallas, Atlanta, and Denver.

I'd be much more inclined to look deeper into moving to Dallas or Atlanta over Phoenix.

Been to Denver, too much like Minneapolis which I hated, wouldn't want to go there. I'll probably hold out to see what other opportunities come along.

Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:53 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,408,385 times
My thoughts.

First, I would second most of the previous statements, especially those regarding visiting the place extensively. I think many people who are considering relocation to Phoenix just assume that the place is exactly what they are looking for (I would include myself in that as well). Part of the reason is that it is so new and growing so fast. I guess one starts to assume that if everyone is moving there, it has to be a great place that matches your wants ands needs. Also, I think the fact that the environment and physical landscape is so different from places back East and the Midwest, it can be hauntingly appealing.

I think what you really need to do is focus on what is important to you. You made some statements that you "missed driving" and that an urban lifestyle was really not what you are looking for. You also seemed to hint that generally "heat" is better than "cold." If I'm correct in those general assumptions, you might just like Phoenix. It certainly is not urban, requires driving everywhere for pretty much anything and is, well this is hardly a shocker, hot for an extended period of the year. It is also fairly cheap and I would suspect is getting cheaper.

Perhaps you might want to make the move and see if you like the place. As long as you don't buy a home you can always leave pretty easily. That is exactly what I did. I moved from DC to Phoenix thinking that I wanted a "slower" lifestyle, warmer winters and to buy a big home. I spent some time there and started to realize that I really missed the whole urban neighborhood lifestyle. I missed the local pub with familiar faces. I missed the history and cultural benefits. I missed the grocer/deli on the corner that knew me. I missed the whole communal aspect of life in a real, urban city. So I left. I moved back East (Boston). But the funny thing was that it probably took living in a place like Phoenix to truly get me to appreciate that I was willing to give up the big house, huge yard, three car garage for some things that are more important to me. When I first left I thought I had just wasted two years of my life. I have come to realize that although I wasn't happy out in Phoenix, it was a learning experience and has helped me love my new life in the city that much more.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Phoenix is certainly not urban and not really cultured, but if that is what you want, hey...there you go. You just need to really figure out what you value and what's important to you. Then you make trade offs depending on your priorities.

Good luck with your search.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 PM

5 posts, read 14,954 times
Smile Chicago is awesome

Hello,

I'm moving to Phoenix soon and am very excited about it. But don't leave Chicago, man. Not while you're in your 20s and single. Yes, it's a bit crowded, and the winter is just way too cold. But it is a very special place - there are so many world class things, so many world-class places there. Some of the best restaurants, the best architecture, the best skyscrapers, the best ethnic neighborhoods, a nice beachfront, walkable neighborhoods, public transport second only to NYC - not bad. And a real sense of pride of place, and quite a cultural and political tradition as well.

I loved living there, my favorite city, ahead of New York, ahead of London, and I lived in both of those. I left just because I have not a single family connection there, and the jobs and salaries weren't that great, and we couldn't afford a house, and as you get older and get married that gets more important. But my wife and I both really miss it.

If you liike Thai food, check out Cozy, near Sheffield and Addison (near Wrigley). If you like Mexican, try Mamacita's near Fullerton and Clarke. Try Hot Wok for Indian-Chinese food, Woodlands for Indian (on Devon), or Anne Sather's for cinnamon buns. Enjoy Chicago, man. You're at the right time and right place in your life.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 AM

300 posts, read 953,098 times
I moved to Phoenix when I was 21 from Michigan and I am moving out of Phoenix in May to Chicago. When I first moved here I loved it, it was all new and shiny. I had a 2nd shift job so I had a very active nightlife. But after living here for 3 years I have found Phoenix to be dull and the weather and people are a huge downer. If you like feeling hot all the time maybe you'll love it here. You shouldn't let weather make the big factor on why you want to live somewhere espically Phoenix as it sounds nice but in reality the summer here are too hot. Maybe if I had a family I might want to choose Phoenix. But you know after living here I don't think I would make that decision. I would stay in Chicago.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 AM

88 posts, read 483,070 times
Just some comments from a Mom.... I have a son, born & raised in Chicago. He has lived in San Antonio, small-town Champaign, Illinois, and three years ago moved to Scottsdale through a job promotion. He now lives in Gilbert. I have been reading your posts, and want to tell you,based on all you have said, I think I would hold off for now and see if something opens up in Dallas, for example. While the AZ weather is not the only issue by far to consider, it is something to think about. When my son moved to Scottsdale, he figured he would be spending quiet time down by one of the pools soaking in that glorious sun- he tried it, found out it was way too hot, and only ventured to the pools late in the day or early evening. Saturday mornings were (past tense) his time to run his errands, cleaners, grocery shopping,etc.) that quickly changed to stopping after work. Going in/out of a hot car to run errands got old quickly. Still better than the cold winters here, but you need to really weigh both.
Socially, for a young person like yourself, Chicago offers alot, and I am not saying that AZ does not, just that he found it abit harder to meet people outside of those he worked with. He has found the cost of living to be similar, really nice apartments cost $$$ both places. His bottom line is; If he had the right job offer in Dallas or Austin, he would move there. The very best of luck to you in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area