Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Then you're going to the wrong vet if they are constantly wanting appointments for you dog. For the past four years we've taken our once every six months. Today I just purchased my dog's heartworm pills online and it cost $60 for 12 months supply. Such a minimal expense for something that can prevent a really bad condition. If your dogs got worms you'll be spending quite a bit more than that treating it.
Every 6 months at the vet is excessive, IMO. I used to do heartworm treatments when I lived in the Midwest where mopsquitoes were an epidemic all summer long, but don't do them here. I gave them the Heartguard chews.

I keep reading the title of this thread as "heartburn in dogs" and keep thinking, "don't feed them spicy food" LOL

Old 06-30-2015, 11:34 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Every 6 months at the vet is excessive, IMO.
We do the Bordetella Vaccine which should be done every six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
We do the Bordetella Vaccine which should be done every six months.

I do that one only if I am boarding my dogs because they require proof of it being done within 6 months of boarding. To do it on an ongoing basis isn't necessary unless you regularly board or take them to daycare, etc.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:42 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Heartworm is easily spread and VERY preventable. If you're not providing your dogs with proper protection at least keep them away from others. People like you are one of the reasons I avoid dog parks.
That's not how heartworm meds works, unless you happen to come into contact with a dog that just took the monthly med and was recently "purged".

Dogs with Heartworms | How Treatment for Heartworms Work | petMD

Old 06-30-2015, 11:51 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I do that one only if I am boarding my dogs because they require proof of it being done within 6 months of boarding. To do it on an ongoing basis isn't necessary unless you regularly board or take them to daycare, etc.
Dog groomer requires it.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
That's not how heartworm meds works, unless you happen to come into contact with a dog that just took the monthly med and was recently "purged".

What do you mean? If Barb's dog that doesn't receive preventative gets heartworm, can it not spread it to others?

Quote:
Veterinarians also now commonly recommend that dogs be given heartworm preventive medications all year round. In some parts of the country, where mosquitoes are less active in the winter months, dog owners are in the habit of only treating their dogs for heartworms half the year. Due to unpredictable seasonal temperature changes, the American Heartworm Society is now recommending year-round prevention for animals in every state. This is a good practice to help you remember to always protect your dog from heartworms, no matter what the season.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:52 AM

639 posts, read 971,329 times
My vet's office told me in February that they had already had 5 cases of dogs test positive for heartworm in 2015. Not worth the small cost of the medication to avoid the results of them getting it - it's a horrible disease. The results of that disease and what it does to the dog is not worth the risk.

Last edited by sandy6879; 06-30-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 12:04 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,276,315 times
Quote:
What do you mean? If Barb's dog that doesn't receive preventative gets heartworm, can it not spread it to others?
Only if a mosquito bites the infected dog and then bites your unprotected dog. If your dog is taking HW preventatives it can't get heartworms.

I had a dog that I adopted years ago in southern NM (similar desert climate to AZ) and she wound up having them, it was a horrible and expensive fix that she barely survived. As for the comment "but my dogs are fine", they are until they aren't.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:06 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
Quote:
Correct, it can't:

Heartworms in Dogs: Facts and Myths

"If one of my dogs has heartworms, can he give it to my other dogs?A: No. Again, the only way heartworms are transmitted is through the bite of an infected mosquito. And even if an uninfected mosquito bit your infected dog, and then bit your uninfected dog the same night, he wouldn’t transmit the parasite from one dog to the other. That’s because when a mosquito bites an infected animal, the heartworm needs to undergo an incubation period in the mosquito before the mosquito can infect other animals."

A treated dog can get heartworm larvea because of the way the monthly med works because it just flushes it out on a monthly basis. So if a dog gets bit by a mosquito and it spreads heartworm larvae to the dog on 7/2, that larvae will be hanging inside the dog until the next heartworm pill is given.

"You may be surprised to learn that heartworm preventives do not stop the actual infection from occurring. If an infected mosquito happens to bite your dog, he/she may still be infected with the larvae. Heartworm medications available today work to kill off the larval heartworms that made it into the dog’s body during the past month. The heartworms in dogs will die at certain stages of development, before they can become adult heartworms."

The med, like any other med, isn't 100% either. That's why vets usually suggest a heartworm blood test every year or 2(forgot which), even for those dogs taking the med given the way the med works(doesn't stop it at the gate, flushes it out later if it's there), there could be a case where it doesn't flush out all the larvea, they turn into the worms, and then the not so pretty things can happen.

Last edited by stevek64; 06-30-2015 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 12:08 PM

138 posts, read 129,685 times
I live in the Midwest (sorry to butt in), and I give my dog heartworm pills three times per year. I've thoroughly researched the way that heartworm works, and for my area, that's all that's needed to prevent it. I imagine a warmer climate like yours allows mosquitoes to stick around longer than in a place with a snowy winter like mine, so do some research and figure out what would work best for your area. I will say that in almost every part of the country, it's overkill to give a monthly heartworm pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area