Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,644,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirlsuz View Post
Thanks for the replies. Seems like EVERYONE is going up to the high country making it difficult to secure a spot! We were out on a Jeep trail about a month ago and had to wait for a LARGE rattlesnake to cross the trail so I know they are out there (did I mention I HATE snakes ) and I just don't want to come across one especially at night when nature calls if you know what I mean! I can handle the furry critters but snakes, no way. I would be sleeping in the car!
You mean, like BEARS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 02:20 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,203,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
You mean, like BEARS?
Now now...we have only had what? 10 bear attacks since 1990? Only one was fatal and that was a woman walking her dog along a golf course in Pinetop.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:43 PM

550 posts, read 1,134,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It will be downright cold in four months in the forests of AZ. Now is the time to camp in the mountains. In winter, you go to the deserts. There is always somewhere in the state that has ideal weather regardless of what time of year it is.
Exactly. Our kids go camping right now in the mountains to get out of the heat. And in some places they go it's down right cold in July during the night and morning hours.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:58 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,506,873 times
OP. It sounds like you're looking to control an uncontrollable environment. When you are in the wild, AZ or beyond, you always have the chance of encountering something you fear. It's just a matter of the odds, even when doing things to lessen the risk. Some of it simply comes down to being in the right place at the wrong time so to speak. And I believe that's the simple reality of it all. If you're looking for a 100% controlled environment, I don't think camping in the wilderness in AZ or beyond is the place to be if you're going to be stressed over it.

What I do in such cases is put the reality vs perception of risk in the picture.....does Steve have greater odds of getting harmed by a snake or scorpion while camping(let alone even seeing one) or getting hit by a drunk or reckless driver coming at me in the other lane on a rural highway at 62mph 5 ft away with a ton or 2 of steel behind it on my way to the camp site or all the other countless trips I and most of us take in an automobile? There's some perspective for ya on what I feel we should be worrying about if we really want to worry about something in life.

Last edited by stevek64; 07-08-2015 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 03:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
There are most certainly snakes and scorpions in the forests of AZ. Its a big misconception that they dont exist there.

There are certainly snakes. Rattlers, in the mountain camping areas? Not very likely if at all. Scorpions are certainly far more prevalent in the desert. As others have said, zipping up the tent is the best idea.

Given how many people have never seen either rattlers nor scorpions in their time living here in the Valley, even if they are present up north in smaller numbers, I think the OP has very little to worry about. But, it's always a good idea to zip the tent, to keep out whatever else may be up there.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:51 AM

308 posts, read 794,330 times
The largest rattler I have seen to date was on the top of a mountain at around 9,000 feet. Having said that, I have done quite a bit of camping and have had no problems with snakes or scorpions. Tent stays zipped unless I am getting in or out of it.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:15 AM

39,178 posts, read 51,494,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There are certainly snakes. Rattlers, in the mountain camping areas? Not very likely if at all. Scorpions are certainly far more prevalent in the desert. As others have said, zipping up the tent is the best idea.

Given how many people have never seen either rattlers nor scorpions in their time living here in the Valley, even if they are present up north in smaller numbers, I think the OP has very little to worry about. But, it's always a good idea to zip the tent, to keep out whatever else may be up there.
There's scorpions for sure. My daughter was stung a couple years back picking through the wood pile. Our place is at 7000 feet. The scorpions, though, are not the same as in Phoenix. They are a different species and their sting, while painful, is not as nasty as the bark scorpion.

I haven't seen any snakes around here in all the years I have been coming up. Javelina though. No one has mentioned them. They come around every once in a while. Don't mess with the bull elks either!

Old 07-09-2015, 08:50 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,006,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

Dude, I have literally spent thousands of hours up in the mountains, herping for snakes. Youll find rattlers everywhere from the Mogollon Rim, to the Grand Canyon, to the Dragoons Mts, to the Superstitions, to the Sky Islands, to the... you catch my drift. Granted, rattler numbers up in the mountains arent as high as they are in the low deserts, but there are tons of em up there, dont kid yourself. Here, Google "herping the sky islands of AZ" and tell me there arent tons of rattlers up there (and elsewhere in the mountains of AZ).

Old 07-10-2015, 09:08 AM

80 posts, read 263,106 times
Thanks for all the information . I am not at all fearful of the whole nature camping thing, I've been camping my entire life so I know what it's like out in the wild. I was just concerned about suffering a medical emergency and also trying to settle a debate in out house!

Might have to check out that back roads Jeep trip, sounds fun!

Old 07-11-2015, 09:24 AM

140 posts, read 175,556 times
Good thread. Thanks to some of the responses I'm planning on taking my 6 year old on her first camping trip to Fools Hollow. Regarding bears...do I leave food in the car or do I need one of those bear proof containers? I don't have to go hanging stuff up in trees, do I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area