Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:13 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,729,356 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe the way radio jocks here on 98.7 FM were seriously believing LaMarcus Aldridge this past week would sign with Phoenix over San Antonio. Really ?! Phoenix Suns DO NOT attract top free agents and I do not see that changing anytime soon. Phoenix serves one purpose, to drive up asking price for the team the free agent with bargaining power WANTS to play for. Jude LaCava on Fox 10 probably the most rose colored fan in the media and while I respect his knowledge, you can tell he doesn't truly believe half of what comes out of his mouth on the air about the Suns chances of making a big move for 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 08:06 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,298,625 times
Ever since the U of A grad took over ownership, its been in a downward spiral. Sarver is the problem.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:15 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,754,213 times
Magnum based on your logic about 90% of the NBA is 'bush league' teams. There's a handful of teams in every league that seem to dominate, then there's a few that rise here and there, almost to prove that 'hey anyone can win, see we let Golden State get one last year.'

I don't really care if Phoenix wins a championship or not, it's fun to watch the team grow and get better. The Nash years were amazing and before that so was the Barkley era. If they do manage to pull a championship in some day, then great. But there's plenty of successful NBA franchises that have never won one.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:33 PM

448 posts, read 920,597 times
Huh? A banner for an unsigned player??

The Mayor of Phoenix is recycling the town's LaMarcus Aldridge banner - SBNation.com

Old 07-04-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Magnum based on your logic about 90% of the NBA is 'bush league' teams. There's a handful of teams in every league that seem to dominate, then there's a few that rise here and there, almost to prove that 'hey anyone can win, see we let Golden State get one last year.'

I don't really care if Phoenix wins a championship or not, it's fun to watch the team grow and get better. The Nash years were amazing and before that so was the Barkley era. If they do manage to pull a championship in some day, then great. But there's plenty of successful NBA franchises that have never won one.
Colangelo made the Suns legit and when Steve Nash left, that marked the end of the window of opportunity for the Suns to be a legit player in the NBA.I am surprised of your response of not caring if they even win a title...I am aware of the Suns history despite only two finals appearances in 76 and 93. They were usually relevant from the 30 plus years until after 2010 when they basically dismantled the Nash era. Being just good enough to be competing for 8th seed in the west is a road to nowhere. Never bad enough to get a blue chipper in the draft but never good enough to make the playoffs. They are stuck in quicksand ad further losing ground with the very competitive Western Conference.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Phoenix best chance was 2007 and I know they are still irked over Robert Horry who didn't like playing in Phoenix himself to add injury to insult. I guess you can say Robert Horry threw in the towel on being a Sun...

Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,754,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Colangelo made the Suns legit and when Steve Nash left, that marked the end of the window of opportunity for the Suns to be a legit player in the NBA.I am surprised of your response of not caring if they even win a title...I am aware of the Suns history despite only two finals appearances in 76 and 93. They were usually relevant from the 30 plus years until after 2010 when they basically dismantled the Nash era. Being just good enough to be competing for 8th seed in the west is a road to nowhere. Never bad enough to get a blue chipper in the draft but never good enough to make the playoffs. They are stuck in quicksand ad further losing ground with the very competitive Western Conference.
I grew up in Utah and have lived here most of my life since, I had a quick stint in Boston for a while and realized fielding championship caliber teams constantly isn't really all it's cracked up to be. What does it mean for the average Joe like me (and I presume you too)? Ticket prices we'll never be able to afford, so what will we likely be doing, watching those games from the couch, bar, etc... just like a fan in any other city.

Sure, it would be nice, but I don't think it's a requirement of a successful team. Also, on a personal level, I don't really think the best players make the best people a lot of times, KG was a classic example of this.... I'd rather cheer for decent players on/off the field, than total D-Bags just because they're physically talented. I guess that's just my personal issue with most pro sports people.

You're right though, the finals years were pretty fun, and it was nice to see this town light up. I'm sure it's possible again, but honestly it doesn't affect day to day life enough for me to get all bent out of shape that some supposed big name chose his home state over Phoenix.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I grew up in Utah and have lived here most of my life since, I had a quick stint in Boston for a while and realized fielding championship caliber teams constantly isn't really all it's cracked up to be. What does it mean for the average Joe like me (and I presume you too)? Ticket prices we'll never be able to afford, so what will we likely be doing, watching those games from the couch, bar, etc... just like a fan in any other city.

Sure, it would be nice, but I don't think it's a requirement of a successful team. Also, on a personal level, I don't really think the best players make the best people a lot of times, KG was a classic example of this.... I'd rather cheer for decent players on/off the field, than total D-Bags just because they're physically talented. I guess that's just my personal issue with most pro sports people.

You're right though, the finals years were pretty fun, and it was nice to see this town light up. I'm sure it's possible again, but honestly it doesn't affect day to day life enough for me to get all bent out of shape that some supposed big name chose his home state over Phoenix.
You have a rational perspective mind you...my biggest issue is the local media sensationalizing a chicken caca product for a competitive one to the point that insults the intelligence and again, you hear it on 98.7 FM and Fox 10 Sports...

Old 07-04-2015, 09:39 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,698,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I cannot believe the way radio jocks here on 98.7 FM were seriously believing LaMarcus Aldridge this past week would sign with Phoenix over San Antonio. Really ?! Phoenix Suns DO NOT attract top free agents and I do not see that changing anytime soon. Phoenix serves one purpose, to drive up asking price for the team the free agent with bargaining power WANTS to play for. Jude LaCava on Fox 10 probably the most rose colored fan in the media and while I respect his knowledge, you can tell he doesn't truly believe half of what comes out of his mouth on the air about the Suns chances of making a big move for 2016.

Nobody was "seriously believing" that Aldridge would sign with the Suns. Obviously people were excited but I didn't hear anyone that didn't preface their comments with "of course he's most likely going to San Antonio." This certainly was true of the comments I heard from various radio hosts such as Dave Burns and Tim Kempton this week on 98.7. San Antonio was always the favorite but for the Suns to actually become a serious contender and one of the final 2 teams that Aldridge was deciding between was a terrific success by Ryan McDonough. To even get into the ballpark for a guy who is from Texas, whose kids live in San Antonio, going up against a team that won a championship a year ago speaks volumes.

As many around the NBA have said, even though Phoenix didn't get Aldridge, it certainly helped their perception with other free agents around the NBA and they'll be in a good position to acquire a major free agent in the future. Brian Windhorst compared it to the Clippers having an impressive meeting with LeBron James and then signing Chris Paul a year later.

Since coming in 2 years ago, McDonough has done a very good job cleaning up the mess left behind by Blanks, he certainly hasn't been perfect but he's put together a roster with a lot of talent and potential. Having young guys like Knight, Len, Bledsoe, Warren, Goodwin and Booker to watch develop in the coming years will certainly be fun to watch.

As long as you get a chance to be up to bat, sooner or later you'll get a hit. Dallas went after how many big time free agents before landing one in Jordan finally. I think with the trade of Marcus Morris and with the addition of a respected veteran in Chandler, the Suns are better positioned to compete for the playoffs. If the young talent steps up, they'll get there and they will have something else to sell to potential free agents in a year.

Last edited by Juram; 07-04-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 09:41 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,698,468 times
Quote:

The Suns also have the 4th best winning percentage in NBA history so clearly they've done a lot right over the years. They've had an incredible string of bad luck in key moments but considering where this team was 3 years ago, I'm far more excited about the young roster and their chances at making the playoffs and developing into a true championship contender in the near future. The city always gets pumped up when the Suns are winning so I'm looking forward to continued improvement from them.

I'm not a Cardinals or D-Backs fan but its great for this area to have all their teams winning, hopefully the Suns can join the Cards in being major playoff contenders soon.

Last edited by Juram; 07-04-2015 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area