Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 09:39 AM

54,505 posts, read 33,935,300 times

Advertisements

For those who are wondering about other solutions to fund the expansion of the light rail, how about adding a tax of some sort for those who use the light rail? I would think it's fair, if they use it, then they should pay for it. That's another reason I am opposed to 104 - A lot of proposed "improvements" lumped up into one proposition - From past experience that can turn into a big boondoggle because the money will not go where it should and the public has no control over what gets spent and where. If 104 proposed an increase in light rail fees/taxes to pay for the expansion, then I'd be happy to vote yes on it.

I get a feeling they want everyone to vote yes on this because rail ridership is not what they expected, so they want the revenue to come from other sources, like sales taxes.

I pay a sales tax every time I fill up my gas tank, and it is fair because I use the roads, although I wonder sometimes about where the gas tax revenue is going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 09:48 AM

640 posts, read 963,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I pay a sales tax every time I fill up my gas tank, and it is fair because I use the roads, although I wonder sometimes about where the gas tax revenue is going.
That goes to the state, not the city.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:20 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,771,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Maybe people who want light rail donate money to the system or raise fairs to cover it. I will never use light rail I enjoy driving by my self to work. It gives me alone time I don't have to talk to people. I hate riding in a crowded bus, so standing room only light rail isn't my thing. Like most people that do not ride it or use the bus system why do we have to pay for it. The city keeps raising taxes if were not careful we will have taxes like East Coast city's.
THis is not unlike people who don't have children not wanting to pay for schools, people who don't use libraries not wanting to pay for that, etc. How about people who don't drive cars not wanting to pay for roads?

And again, only about 21% of Prop 104 is for light rail and bus rapid transit.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:30 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,036,195 times
I'll be voting against Prop 104. Too much is set aside for light rail expansion. Phoenix should have explored light rail 30 years ago. Thirty years into the future it may be outdated and the same people clamoring for expansion now will be crying for more taxes for whatever "upgrades" they can come up with.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:41 AM

445 posts, read 518,931 times
Quote:
For those who are wondering about other solutions to fund the expansion of the light rail, how about adding a tax of some sort for those who use the light rail?
They do. They pay a fare.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:43 AM

445 posts, read 518,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Why is everyone so focused on light rail? Per the sources cited earlier that is less than 20% of the planned costs. I'm more excited about the 600 bus pull outs. That will be a huge benefit. As someone that commutes down 7th St to Downtown, the bus pull outs will be great (assuming some of those planned 600 will be on that route).
Thank you for calling this out. The bus pullouts are a huge deal, and this does affect just about everyone who drives in the city of Phoenix. Buses blocking a lane at stops are one of the largest sources of surface street congestion, especially during rush hour. For the folks that don't use public transit, this is one piece of this bill that absolutely would be directly beneficial to them.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:57 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,794,493 times
Quote:
For those who are wondering about other solutions to fund the expansion of the light rail, how about adding a tax of some sort for those who use the light rail?
Great point, Mike . . .

Another possibility would be to charge the riders a fare that would cover most, if not all of the actual cost to operate the system.

Down here, far too often I have witnessed "poor people" waiting for the bus with free and/or discount cards smoking and drinking big ole cups of soft drinks (Goodness knows mixed with . . . ?). If they can afford those "luxuries" they should be able to pay the same fare I would be required to pay. Also, no free and/or discounted fares may encourage the "full figured" otherwise healthy individuals to walk.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:19 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,770,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I'll be voting against Prop 104. Too much is set aside for light rail expansion. Phoenix should have explored light rail 30 years ago. Thirty years into the future it may be outdated and the same people clamoring for expansion now will be crying for more taxes for whatever "upgrades" they can come up with.
I'll be voting for light rail, pretty much for the same reasons. 30 years from now the highway supporters will be clamoring for another massive Prop 400 style plan to cover 'long overdue' bridge and high expansion projects that have been neglected for a decade plus time. I'll hedge my bets that a less auto-centric lifestyle makes more sense in the long run.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:

You, and others who may never use the roads, also pay a sales tax increase under Prop 400 to fund the roads, because guess what? gas tax doesn't pay for nearly all of it. So under the rationale you're proposing for the treatment of light rail we would need to seriously increase gas tax or add tolls, so that only those using the roads pay for it. So are you opposed to all new taxes or no? This stuff doesn't fund itself...

Old 07-16-2015, 06:26 PM

Here's a link to the status of prop 400 as of 2013. https://www.azmag.gov/Documents/MAG_...sition-400.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area