Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:44 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,109,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Tree requirements are regulated by city planning/zoning agencies not the developers.
This. Also, just FYI there really aren't any native shade tree species in Arizona. Those are generally broadleaf deciduous trees that are not well-suited to a desert climate. They also require more water to maintain. Are you saying developers should be more wasteful with water to provide better shade for a few pedestrians?

Also, as someone alluded to before, tree planting requirements and landscape buffers are regulated by the City or County. It's generally included as part of subdivision and zoning regulations. In fact, such codes generally ENCOURAGE desert xeriscaping to conserve water. Maybe you should blame the city planners if you don't like it. An alternative would be to move somewhere with more shade trees - either a different neighborhood of Phoenix or maybe somewhere NOT in the desert.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:37 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,401,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. They Sycamore is NOT in the Ficus family. It's in the Platanaceae family and the species is native to Arizona. You must be a beginning gardener.

So how much shade do your red rocks, Bird of Paradise, Sage and bouganvillea provide you when it's
115 degrees out?

I'll take my Tif bermuda lawn and my live oak trees any day over your sun-baked yard.
My 'sunbaked yard" is quite pretty, thank you. Red rocks show off the wildflowers in early spring, Mexican Bird of Paradise and Sage turn beautiful hues of purple. All with very little water and very little impact on the environment except to make it more beautiful.

Numerous Sycamore trees are considered in the Ficus Family and some people from other places bring these trees here in hopes of recreating where they come from. I've seen them here.
And yeah - you start an accusatory thread and then get mad when people give a different opinion. Different opinions are still allowed in the US. Chill, bruddah.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sycamore
Sycamore is a name which is applied at various times and places to several different types of trees, but with somewhat similar leaf forms. The name derives from the ancient Greek συκόμορος (sūkomoros) meaning "fig-mulberry".
Species of trees known as sycamore:
  • Ficus sycomorus, the sycamore (or sycomore) of the Bible; a species of fig, also called the sycamore fig or fig-mulberry, native to the Middle East and eastern Africa
  • Acer pseudoplatanus, a species of maple native to Central Europe and Southwestern Asia
Attached Thumbnails
Shame on Phoenix home builders-libby-flowers.jpg  

Old 07-21-2015, 10:44 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,069,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
This. Also, just FYI there really aren't any native shade tree species in Arizona. Those are generally broadleaf deciduous trees that are not well-suited to a desert climate. They also require more water to maintain. Are you saying developers should be more wasteful with water to provide better shade for a few pedestrians?

Also, as someone alluded to before, tree planting requirements and landscape buffers are regulated by the City or County. It's generally included as part of subdivision and zoning regulations. In fact, such codes generally ENCOURAGE desert xeriscaping to conserve water. Maybe you should blame the city planners if you don't like it. An alternative would be to move somewhere with more shade trees - either a different neighborhood of Phoenix or maybe somewhere NOT in the desert.
I'm sorry. You don't have your facts straight. For example: broadleaf deciduous trees are not well suited to a desert climate? WRONG, WRONG. Chinese elm, ash trees, pistache are all planted in Phoenix in abundance, and they all drop their leaves during the short winter here.

Is using water for trees in neighborhoods considered "wasteful"? interesting. Maybe skin cancer and eye cataract cases would decline from more neighborhood shade. Comfort and quality of life surely would improve IMO.

Your most laughable claim is that there aren't any native shade tree species in Arizona. Ever hear of cottonwoods, sycamore trees, oak trees (numerous species) and mesquites?

I don't need to move anywhere else. I have, beautiful, leafy shade trees on my property (and bermuda grass as well- haha.)

Another point people don't realize: Phoenix actually uses LESS water now than it did years ago with less populatioin. Residents using water provides a revenue stream to Phoenix Water Dept. If we don't use the water, CA or NV will buy it from us.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:50 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,152,079 times
Quote:
I don't need to move anywhere else. I have, beautiful, leafy shade trees on my property (and bermuda grass as well- haha.)
Then why did you start this thread?

Old 07-21-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
My 'sunbaked yard" is quite pretty, thank you. Red rocks show off the wildflowers in early spring, Mexican Bird of Paradise and Sage turn beautiful hues of purple. All with very little water and very little impact on the environment except to make it more beautiful.

Numerous Sycamore trees are considered in the Ficus Family and some people from other places bring these trees here in hopes of recreating where they come from. I've seen them here.
And yeah - you start an accusatory thread and then get mad when people give a different opinion. Different opinions are still allowed in the US. Chill, bruddah.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sycamore
Sycamore is a name which is applied at various times and places to several different types of trees, but with somewhat similar leaf forms. The name derives from the ancient Greek συκόμορος (sūkomoros) meaning "fig-mulberry".
Species of trees known as sycamore:
  • Ficus sycomorus, the sycamore (or sycomore) of the Bible; a species of fig, also called the sycamore fig or fig-mulberry, native to the Middle East and eastern Africa
  • Acer pseudoplatanus, a species of maple native to Central Europe and Southwestern Asia
I don't care what you think about the origins of the term sycamore. To botanists, Sycamore is NOT a Ficus- it's a Platanus. laymen use silly "common names" for trees that only confuse everyone. I wouldn't be caught dead planting a Ficus in Phoenix. They're not reliable hardy here.

Sycamore is correctly called Platanus (genus). If you've ever been to Europe or California, you're probably quite familiar with Platanus sycamores (they have whitish bark). I've seen many planted in north Scottsdale, also.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:34 AM

New2Colorado said,

"I just have dirt in the front and back on my home with some nice NATIVE trees. Palo Verde, Acacia, and Mesquite are the trees that are native here and should be planted."

Oh geez, I'm glad I'm not your neighbor. It sounds like a yard you'd see in Guadalupe or Maryvale.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:36 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,152,079 times
Quote:
New2Colorado said,

"I just have dirt in the front and back on my home with some nice NATIVE trees. Palo Verde, Acacia, and Mesquite are the trees that are native here and should be planted."

Oh geez, I'm glad I'm not your neighbor. It sounds like a yard you'd see in Guadalupe or Maryvale.
I think quite a few people in here are probably glad you're not their neighbor as well...and it has nothing to do with your choice of landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area