Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 05:19 PM

32 posts, read 47,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post

* Me, a native kid, who loves the Papago Park and South Mountain trails, trips to Sedona and Prescott and San Xavier and the Grand Canyon, and loves nothing more than a fine view of Four Peaks and Camelback Mountain, never realized how claustrophobic the valley cities were until I moved away six months ago. There has been no effort to retain open space with native flora and fauna at all (no,vacant lots of bulldozed whatever don’t count). I never realized it until I moved to the Austin area, where it’s mandatory that space be set aside for preservation in every housing development, and trees and other greenery of a certain size/age are to be preserved in areas being built on for commercial purposes. It’s too late for the Valley – it’s almost full to the gills. It’s too bad – the Sonoran desert is really beautiful, and it’s ruined within the confines of the Valley. Sad lack of foresight.
I kind of agree with this. I think the Phoenix area has done a good job at retaining open space but I do think more could be done to keep the native flora and fauna instead of creating more man made lakes in housing developments and business parks. Other than that I disagree about the rest of this post.

Oh and I also hate the rows and rows of tract housing.

Last edited by kct987; 07-27-2015 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: wanted to add more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:37 PM

482 posts, read 534,343 times
We live in the desert, and they complain about the heat.

Phoenix June Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for AZ 85004

We live in a city with a population of 4,100,000 people, and they complain about the traffic and the freeways.

Census: Phoenix area population grew rapidly

We have an airport that has 1,200 arrivals and departures, and moves 100,000 people, along with 800 tons of cargo PER DAY, and they p!$$ and moan about that.

https://skyharbor.com/about/airportFacts.html

They hate the retirees. They hate the housing. I think a better question is...... why do they bother living here?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:44 PM

445 posts, read 517,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I agree about the airport, at least driving there. The signs are so confusing as to which lane you are supposed to be in. I've missed my exit more than once and had to loop around the entire place. It's frustrating. There is at least one place where a sign tells you to be in the far left lane at one point, then when it is time to exit, you are supposed to be in the far right. I think whoever designed that part of the airport was drunk!

As for inside, yes, it is very well designed. No issues there.
Didn't consider the driving part. I guess it's easy for me because I know exactly where I'm going every time but I could see how it would be very confusing for someone who isn't very familiar with the airport.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:48 PM

445 posts, read 517,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kct987 View Post
I kind of agree with this. I think the Phoenix area has done a good job at retaining open space but I do think more could be done to keep the native flora and fauna instead of creating more man made lakes in housing developments and business parks. Other than that I disagree about the rest of this post.

Oh and I also hate the rows and rows of tract housing.
There's plenty of open space here. One of the things I like most about Phoenix is that there are mountains right in the middle of the city. If I want to go for a hike and experience the desert, I can do so within the city limits. We have the Phoenix Mountain Preserves, Dreamy Draw Park, and the largest municipal park in the world in South Mountain Park. Plus, there are several city parks scattered all throughout the area, albeit there is a lot of grass in the majority of them.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 PM

2,623 posts, read 2,348,228 times
I hate the people who come here and all they do is talk about the heat. You learned the definition of desert in 3rd grade. And you learned Phoenix was a desert in 5th grade geography!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:38 PM

32 posts, read 47,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
There's plenty of open space here. One of the things I like most about Phoenix is that there are mountains right in the middle of the city. If I want to go for a hike and experience the desert, I can do so within the city limits. We have the Phoenix Mountain Preserves, Dreamy Draw Park, and the largest municipal park in the world in South Mountain Park. Plus, there are several city parks scattered all throughout the area, albeit there is a lot of grass in the majority of them.
Yeah it seems like Phoenix and Scottsdale do a good job at preserving large amounts of open desert around the mountains. I love that. You can't even tell you're in the desert here in Chandler lol. /S

Old 07-27-2015, 07:52 PM

50,979 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
We live in the desert, and they complain about the heat.

Phoenix June Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for AZ 85004

We live in a city with a population of 4,100,000 people, and they complain about the traffic and the freeways.

Census: Phoenix area population grew rapidly

We have an airport that has 1,200 arrivals and departures, and moves 100,000 people, along with 800 tons of cargo PER DAY, and they p!$$ and moan about that.

https://skyharbor.com/about/airportFacts.html

They hate the retirees. They hate the housing. I think a better question is...... why do they bother living here?
The heat thing -- yes, that sounds petty. The retirees -- yes, that sounds petty (especially since I am one).

Now, the traffic and freeways -- maybe not so petty. A few questions are worth answering. Are there sufficient expressways and other major routes to handle today's traffic? Are they maintained well? Are they designed well?

The airport. Only used it twice; it seemed fine (but that was about 7 years ago). Is it up to today's standards? Is it capable of handling today's number of passengers?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,766,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
agreed, i'm an ultra right-wing conservative gun owning jew, and phoenix seems a little too liberal for me

kewl!!!!!! :d:d:d

Old 07-27-2015, 08:16 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,766,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
Or Chicago in Winter with it's barren trees, brown lawns, and salty, sloppy, dirty snow piled up at every corner. You live through what amounts to a 9 month Winter for a 90 day Summer. Of which half the time it's either raining or threatening to. Then they all carry on about how they just love, "the change of seasons". Give me a break. That's like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer, because it feels good when you stop!

This is what Long Island, NY feels like. I'm with you, I can't wait to move to or near Phoenix.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:15 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The heat thing -- yes, that sounds petty. The retirees -- yes, that sounds petty (especially since I am one).

Now, the traffic and freeways -- maybe not so petty. A few questions are worth answering. Are there sufficient expressways and other major routes to handle today's traffic? Are they maintained well? Are they designed well?

The airport. Only used it twice; it seemed fine (but that was about 7 years ago). Is it up to today's standards? Is it capable of handling today's number of passengers?
Phoenix has the most modern, well-maintained freeways in the country bar none! Clean, state of the art exit and entrances and signage, landscaped, decorated with southwestern art, special low noise pavement. The only time there is congestion enough to slow you down is around rush hours in the morning and afternoon. Anyone who puts down the freeways here is a liar or an idiot or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area