Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 03:59 PM

482 posts, read 533,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Because its more humid in IL on average. Key word: average. But to suggest Phoenix doesnt get as humid from time to time (which was the argument all along) is preposterous. This morning we were hovering near 70% humidity, with a 70-degree dewpoint, and 85 degrees. Thats downright near tropical levels. We're just lucky that when it gets to 105 degrees the humidity dies down, or else we'd be faced with Dubai-like heat indices.
Sure it does...... Right after a torrential downpour. How many times a year does that happen in Phoenix? You can count it on the fingers of one hand. In Chicago it happens every other day...... Unless it comes in the form of SNOW. Then get out your shovel, and have fun driving to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 05:33 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,688,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBilly View Post
We are strongly thinking of moving to AZ(Palm Valley) and would like to hear the cons associated with the valley(besides the heat), thanks
Things haven't been the same since Joe Arpaio showed up. Phoenix used to be a nice place.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:03 PM

482 posts, read 533,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Things haven't been the same since Joe Arpaio showed up. Phoenix used to be a nice place.
He doesn't keep getting reelected because the people of this city don't like him, or what he's doing. Save the few whiney, progressive liberals who never shut up about him. But they don't matter anyway. If they did they would have put someone else in office by now. They can't because there simply isn't enough of them to matter in the least. Sorry to pee on your parade with reality.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:13 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,975,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Yep. Joe is the reason Phoenix is a bad place to live. That is the most ridiculous thing I think Ive read on C-D so far. That is just a ludicrous thing to say. Beyond ludicrous, actually.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:00 PM

75 posts, read 108,927 times
Aside from the oppressively hot summers, there's a number of things I dislike about the Valley:

1. Monsoon season
2. No real sense of place - the entire Valley looks almost entirely the same, (cinder)block after (cinder)block
3. Lots of rude, anti-social types - the "isolation factor," as I like to call it, is huge in Arizona
4. Low salaries and lousy benefits
5. Limited opportunity for career growth and upward social mobility due to service-oriented economy
6. Snotty, pretentious $30k millionaires who pretend they're living in Southern California, despite the fact they can't afford to, which is why they're living in Phoenix
7. Chain restaurant after chain restaurant - very little in the way of non-corporate dining
8. Very shallow-rooted - no one seems to consider Phoenix "home" or live in the Valley more than 3-5 years
9. Extreme social conservative legislation
10. Little emphasis on K-12 and higher education
11. Extremely liberal gun laws and lots of gun nuts - everyone, including the 80-year-old retiree from the Midwest, is packing heat
12. Aggressive driving habits, including lots of speeding

These are some things that immediately come to mind.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:18 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,183,614 times
September. I'm so over the heat yet it does not cool down sufficiently.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:20 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,841,780 times
population of the area 4.3 million....that's ok if you are a big city type...I'm not.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:48 PM

595 posts, read 1,257,744 times
I can't make friends but that would probably be true anywhere. I went to a church sponsored activity to make scarves for the homeless and the woman who was running it was friendly with a couple of women. We switched sides we were working on they left their car keys on their counter and I followed suit. The one lady pocketed my keys (I had spares in my purse) nd said she was heading to find lost and found.

I never got any kind of support or apology. This is typical. I'm a stranger to all and will probably never be trusted again.

Someone felt my situation was so dire that they'd be suicidal in my shoes. So they had me call a crisis counselor who determined I'm not a harm to myself or anyone but another hotline warned me that certain mental health agencies in AZ still can and will lock you up put you on SSI and you will never make the grade to be released.

I've tried keeping my head down and work. I've tried reaching out to helping agencies. I am out of options but it is not AZ's fault.

If only were a guarantee of decent income/housing.

Other than that blistering door handles/buckles and dehydration are constant concerns. There has to be a tough cool metal or plastic out there.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:05 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,076,199 times
The abhorrent child welfare situation in this state with 17,000 children out of their homes, no place to put them, lack of real leadership in CPS/DCS, poor treatment of foster parents, awful salaries for the case workers who have to deal with this stuff, and no resolution in sight. It makes me sick.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:35 PM

226 posts, read 227,662 times
The fact that there is almost literally no one over 18 who was born in Phoenix, and has lived their entire life in Phoenix and never lived anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area