Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,378 times

Advertisements

So am I am in some desperate need of advice from those familiar with the Phoenix area. I was offered a job in the Tempe area and will be relocating there in early September. I am really looking forward to it but need to figure out where I'm going to live ASAP. I got a few recommendations from co-workers (Chandler, Scottsdale, Tempe) and now wanted to get some more input.

About me, job;
I am early/mid-30's, single with no kids. I would like to be in an area where there are lots of things to do (restaurants, bars, gyms, walking/biking paths, etc) and prefer to be within walking distance if possible. I'm not looking for somewhere that is a constant party though. I'm looking to rent and would prefer to keep it below around $1600/month for a 1BR. Obviously prefer an area where there would be people similar to me (mid-30's, single).

The job will be in Tempe around Warner Rd and 101. I don't mind a little commute, but 20-25 minutes is probably the max.

Any tips would be great!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 03:38 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Right down the road from your office (about a mile down the 101) is Chandler Fashion Center. Lots of apartments around that area, as well as shopping and restaurants. Your budget will get you a nice apartment anywhere. Look up Mark Taylor managed properties. Lots of new and newer ones in the Chandler and south Tempe areas. One of them on Baseline Road is very close to Kiwanis Park in Tempe, a very large park. Northwest Chandler and south Tempe are also a short drive to South Mountain Park, one of the largest municipal parks anywhere. Lots of hiking.

You could go into old town Scottsdale, which would have a bit better walkability quotient, perhaps, and the commute would be longer but at least partly reverse. In rush hour, you will be at or maybe even slightly over your 20-25 min, depending on the day.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
There's a new mark Taylor property in McDowell in Scottsdale that looks very nice. Great area.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:30 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,739,319 times
There are new apartments being built in downtown Tempe (Hanover) that may be ready to move in. There also are new apts being built right next to the Chandler Fashion Center. I think they are called The Met?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,171 times
Just saying hi. We are early 30s and also moving to Phoenix in two weeks, from Ohio and we had very little notice to try to plan and get settled. I'm working in downtown Phoenix though so we went with Arioso City Lofts. Good luck to you!

Old 07-24-2015, 12:44 PM

77 posts, read 74,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissica View Post
Just saying hi. We are early 30s and also moving to Phoenix in two weeks, from Ohio and we had very little notice to try to plan and get settled. I'm working in downtown Phoenix though so we went with Arioso City Lofts. Good luck to you!
Just want to chime in I'm moving to Phoenix in mid September! I'm in my early 30s as well. I'll be relocating to the Biltmore or Arcadia area. I have not signed an apartment lease, yet. I'll be working in downtown Phoenix as well.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:15 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,739,319 times
Good luck to those of you moving here and welcome to Arizona!

Old 08-03-2015, 03:32 PM

81 posts, read 83,030 times
There are a ton of apartment complexes in Chandler along Pecos Rd and nearby. Just do the research (reviews, etc.) and look at multiple places before signing a lease. View the actual unit you're going to rent -- we didn't insist on that, and it came back to bite us (our apartment is not even in the same league as the posh model they showed us or the photos on the website).

A place we now wish we had looked into is Avilla San Marcos I & II at Pecos Rd & Alma School Rd. Looks like free-standing units (nobody above or below you, no shared walls as far as I can tell), nice-looking up-to-date apartments. It's 5 miles from Warner & 101 and you can take surface streets. Personally I wouldn't commute from Scottsdale to Chandler, the 101 gets congested during rush hour and there's lots of nice housing around Tempe/Chandler.

Edited to add: I just took a look at a map and saw Hohokam Villas has gotten good reviews, at least from those with renovated units (that seems to be an important point with any apartment complex that isn't newly built: if some units aren't renovated, don't assume they'll look anywhere near as nice as the model or the website). If you're into Asian food, there's a whole bunch of good restaurants at nearby Dobson & Warner. Pecos Rd is the area we've gotten familiar with since we moved there, but there may be great options right by where you'll be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area