Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:25 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times

Advertisements

We like the west side. We are frequent flyers at San Diego Zoo and find it a not so bad drive from here. I love the newness of the west side. The decay in the bad areas of the east side turns me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 AM

482 posts, read 533,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It's a nuisance driving from SE Valley to Vegas sometimes.
It's a nuisance driving anywhere in the SE valley.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:46 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The thing with the West Valley is that out there there isn't as large amount of diversity in Housing, People or Experiences. The majority of it is either the poorer sections (South Glendale, Maryvale) Farming, single family tract housing built between 1980-2010 or the entry level Phoenix-style sprawl like Surprise, Avondale or Goodyear. Are there a few nicer areas? Yes, Litchfield Park, Palm Valley, Marley Park, Vistancia and the like are pretty nice.
Here we go again, east vs west and why "my side" is better.

For a little balance....much of the housing in the east/west/north/south wherever in the valley from 1980-2010 is what you call "entry level Phoenix-style sprawl". Built now by largely the same builders. That's what the vast majority of people want and can afford. Supply and demand. And I can equally say there are a few "nicer areas" outside of the west valley between the poorer sections of Chandler, Phoenix, Mesa, etc. No difference except yes, some of the older areas that were developed in Phoenix and the east valley that had different housing styles that were popular during an earlier era that some still seem to favor. Some are well taken care of. Some are dumpy/poorer areas now. In the east/west/north/south.

To further illustrate, look at the median income of the ENTIRE valley, east/west/south/norht.....the vast majority of it is in the 25-49k "green" range(select "household income" tab). And look at Phoenix....many more poorer sections than what exists in south Glendale and Maryvale that you went out of your way to reference(purple color on map).

Arizona Census Information

This data is from 2005-9. City-data has a a income map that I'm guessing is the latest census data with even more details and everything I've seen backs up the data in the azcentral data...not much has changed overall:

https://www.city-data.com/income/inco...x-Arizona.html

btw, as part of your "few nicer areas" in the west valley, you might want to include Estrella. It has a 100k+ plus median income on both maps. That joins only a few select areas in the valley with that kind of income median(Paradise Valley, south Chandler) and **gasp**, it's in the southwest valley.

In any case, my entire point is the east/west is "better" because( )....get very old and is largely inaccurate. People live in different areas of the valley for various reasons. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for someone else. And it paints newbies an inaccurate picture. If you want to feel where you live in the valley is extra special, more power to you. Just provide a little more info so others don't get swept into your bias.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:49 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Envious because the east valley's growth rate has slowed and the west valley is growing, booming, prospering and developing at a faster rate.

The east valley has many neighborhoods with cheap tract homes too and traffic is certainly an issue.

Traffic from the west valley to central Phoenix is congested mostly because I-10 is the main freeway and there are few alternative routes except regular streets, public transit is lacking compared to other parts of the metropolitan area.

If you see no appeal in the west valley that's your preference.

I'll admit there are many nice parts of the east valley just like there are many nice areas in the west valley, but what I don't like is when people slam the whole west valley because of a small number of sketchy areas.
The overwhelming majority of economic growth in Maricopa County is east of the 17. Outside of Gilbert and Mesa, the West Valley might be throwing up cheap tract homes and warehouses faster, but I don't see any office buildings going up. In a couple decades the West Valley will be full of houses with residents who will be sitting on the I-10, Northern Parkway, the future South Mountain and SR 30 freeways, and the 101 getting to their jobs which will be mainly east of the 17.

The West Valley is much less congested and has a lot of open space, which is definitely a plus. One of my close friends lives in Goodyear next to an open field. You can see the Mazatzal Mountains (including the Four Peaks), the Superstitions, South Mountain, Camelback, Piestewa, the McDowell Mountains, the Estrellas, and the Bradshaw Mountains all from his family's backyard. The White Tanks are visible from a park up the street.

Still, the West Valley is still absent of much of the suburban and urban amenities of the Valley. Estrella Falls and Prasada are clearly not happening. This is going to leave West Valley residents relying on Arrowhead and East Valley malls for their shopping. Also, many chains that are new to Arizona choose East Valley locations, leaving the westside residents with limited options for dining out.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
The overwhelming majority of economic growth in Maricopa County is east of the 17. Outside of Gilbert and Mesa, the West Valley might be throwing up cheap tract homes and warehouses faster, but I don't see any office buildings going up. In a couple decades the West Valley will be full of houses with residents who will be sitting on the I-10, Northern Parkway, the future South Mountain and SR 30 freeways, and the 101 getting to their jobs which will be mainly east of the 17.

The West Valley is much less congested and has a lot of open space, which is definitely a plus. One of my close friends lives in Goodyear next to an open field. You can see the Mazatzal Mountains (including the Four Peaks), the Superstitions, South Mountain, Camelback, Piestewa, the McDowell Mountains, the Estrellas, and the Bradshaw Mountains all from his family's backyard. The White Tanks are visible from a park up the street.

Still, the West Valley is still absent of much of the suburban and urban amenities of the Valley. Estrella Falls and Prasada are clearly not happening. This is going to leave West Valley residents relying on Arrowhead and East Valley malls for their shopping. Also, many chains that are new to Arizona choose East Valley locations, leaving the westside residents with limited options for dining out.
Many of us do our shopping online these days and have not been to/desire to be in a mall. The countless strip malls, big box stores, grocery stores in the west valley provide ample shopping opportunities for most. I think we are overloaded as it is yet they still keep building more. And same for dining. The west is overloaded with dining options in my view. And I think for many of us, we get into a rut(not that this is a bad thing) and usually go to the same few restaurants for the most part over and over again that we enjoy and don't need 10,000 other choices. But to each their own.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:10 PM

482 posts, read 533,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
This is going to leave West Valley residents relying on Arrowhead and East Valley malls for their shopping.
That's nonsense. I've lived in the west valley for 18 years, and I've NEVER had to go to the east valley for ANYTHING.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:11 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Many of us do our shopping online these days and have not been to/desire to be in a mall. The countless strip malls, big box stores, grocery stores in the west valley provide ample shopping opportunities for most. I think we are overloaded as it is yet they still keep building more. And same for dining. The west is overloaded with dining options in my view. And I think for many of us, we get into a rut(not that this is a bad thing) and usually go to the same few restaurants for the most part over and over again that we enjoy and don't need 10,000 other choices. But to each their own.
Yep, I'm right there with you, Steve. I really hate myself sometimes. It's getting more difficult to decide everyday. What's it gonna be: Taco Bell or Del Taco?

Old 08-01-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Yep, I'm right there with you, Steve. I really hate myself sometimes. It's getting more difficult to decide everyday. What's it gonna be: Taco Bell or Del Taco?
I'm with you Colt. Ketchup/Catsup in the end. Really there's only so many ways to make the most common dishes the vast majority of people eat. Some restaurants of all stripes have their own signature way of making things that some of us prefer over another place, some use better quality ingredients, some want a certain atmosphere, etc. but I think after one eats out enough, it all starts to blend in after a while based on my experience.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:48 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Wonder how many of those home sales are going to investment rentals vr primary home?

Old 08-02-2015, 08:09 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
That's nonsense. I've lived in the west valley for 18 years, and I've NEVER had to go to the east valley for ANYTHING.
That's you. There are plenty of people who frequent stores that are only in the East Valley. If a West Valley residents wants a Nordstrom or an Ikea, they have to go east. If they want a night out on Mill or in Old Town Scottsdale or an independent film at Camelview, they have to go east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area