Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 PM

4 posts, read 3,528 times

Advertisements

hello Phoenix area residents.

Possible new job in Downtown Phoenix in the I-10 and 60/17 "Loop" for lack of a better term.

Looking for suggestions on residence.
I have searched and read several similar threads, and none fit my situation closely.

To aid in your replies, here is a bit of pertinent info on me/us.
-My wife and I are early 50's.
-Hate cold weather. Hate humidity. Thinking Phoenix area fits, have visited AZ on a motorcycle trip.
-Not nightlife bar goers, we come from a small town setting. Like the quiet home life after work.
-No kids at home.
-Moderately avid golfers, like the idea of on/near golf course living.
-Don't mind a reasonable commute. 45 min upper limit.
-Budget 250k plus/minus 10%

Hit me with some suggestions, for good areas, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,286,866 times
How much home you looking to get for that 250k?

Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
How much home you looking to get for that 250k?
Well, I assume it's all relative to location, location, location.

We would likely be looking at 14-1600 sq ft in a villa or townhouse on/near a golf community. But, as in most situations I'd assume that homes in the 2000sf plus range are available. Put it this way, I'd much prefer a good community and small home over the biggest home in a sketchy or downward trending area.

I haven't searched the area much yet, and we may even rent a year or so if we need to. I know the real estate market took a hit 4-5 years ago, but probably recovering now, much like FL where home prices are up.

Some quick looks on Zillow show some places that look nice, fitting the sqft sizes above, in the low 200s. These are SE of Phoenix, in the Maricopa - San Tan areas. But we haven't researched the neighborhoods. And although google maps show a 40 min drive to Maricopa, we have no idea what rush hour will do to that. Add 20 min? 30 min? That starts to get out of range, as I have 10+ years of work ahead.

Last edited by SEMOnative; 07-27-2015 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 07-27-2015, 11:36 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,006,335 times
Are you at the East or West interchange of these freeways? Like West or East of Downtown is a better way of putting as this interchange happens twice like a belt loop.

Either way you find yourself right at the Epicenter of Valley Freeway Traffic, but for better or worse you also have quite an array of options available to you for commuting.

Given what you seem to like I'd check out Camelback East, or East Central Phoenix (like 43rd St. & Campbell) these are greener established areas with varied housing and a local feel. But I can't blanket anything in Phoenix and you'll understand when you visit more thoroughly that Phoenix and it's suburbs vary dramatically from block to block.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:44 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
If you are talking about the "Stack" where the I-17 and I-10 meet (and US 60, or Grand Ave, is close by too) that's not downtown, but a few miles west of downtown. If you go east, you will have a partially reverse commute, which may help a little. Or, go west, but the nicer areas are quite a bit west (Goodyear, Litchfield Park, parts of Avondale).

You DO NOT want to go all the way out to Maricopa, San Tan Valley, etc. If you are working anything close to normal hours, that's a VERY crowded commute, and very long in terms of miles and time.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've added a pic with the work area circled. Maybe that will help.

Just glancing at Zillow, it looks like property values are still very reasonable. I did cast a wide search...but I now think we can find something in a 200-250k budget and be in a pretty decent neighborhood. Like I mentioned, we don't need a huge home, but I do want a neighborhood where we can walk in the evening and be relatively safe. Since we are empty-nesters, schools aren't a concern. In fact, I'd seriously consider a retirement community, as I'll be old enough soon!

So, what would be your top 3 areas to recommend, staying within that 45-min commute and budget? That will help focus my search.

Thanks again for any suggestions. Local knowledge is a huge help.
Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix Downtown Job Commute Questions-image.jpg  

Old 07-28-2015, 08:22 AM

586 posts, read 545,908 times
Verrado has a couple of nice townhouse developments and a great golf course. A 2nd course is being built as well. The Main Street area gives a place with a couple of restaurants and coffee shops as well as a grocery store. The trail system is nice for a walk through the community. It would do that commute in half that time in regular traffic but I have no idea about rush hour???
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMOnative View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I've added a pic with the work area circled. Maybe that will help.

Just glancing at Zillow, it looks like property values are still very reasonable. I did cast a wide search...but I now think we can find something in a 200-250k budget and be in a pretty decent neighborhood. Like I mentioned, we don't need a huge home, but I do want a neighborhood where we can walk in the evening and be relatively safe. Since we are empty-nesters, schools aren't a concern. In fact, I'd seriously consider a retirement community, as I'll be old enough soon!

So, what would be your top 3 areas to recommend, staying within that 45-min commute and budget? That will help focus my search.

Thanks again for any suggestions. Local knowledge is a huge help.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Verrado has a couple of nice townhouse developments and a great golf course. A 2nd course is being built as well. The Main Street area gives a place with a couple of restaurants and coffee shops as well as a grocery store. The trail system is nice for a walk through the community. It would do that commute in half that time in regular traffic but I have no idea about rush hour???
Thanks very much. I searched realty sites on some properties in and around Verrado. Liking what I see so far. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,521,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMOnative View Post
Thanks very much. I searched realty sites on some properties in and around Verrado. Liking what I see so far. Thanks for the tip.
Verrado is quiet, clean, safe, and family-friendly with an interesting main street district.

The problem would be your commute, it's a long distance from downtown and I-10 crush hour is a major headache.

Sometimes it's a tradeoff, live farther out where it's nicer, cleaner, and newer but spend a lot of time in your car driving to and from work.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:50 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,286,866 times
I love verrado, but 45 minutes in rush hour is a stretch. Goodyear and Estrella could work staying underneath the freeway.

Most of Goodyear would be in the 30 to 45 minute range.

Some nice options north of the 101 as well, just don't go too far north

All of those would be near golf and activities and close to getting up north or towards some popular motorcycle runs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area