Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2006, 01:52 AM

112 posts, read 602,380 times

Advertisements

Hello, here is my next concern. For some reason, everytime I mention to people that we will be moving to Arizona, they mention all the alchohol and drugs available to our children. They mention that teenagers get soooo bored in Arizona that they start doing drugs etc.

I grew up in Chicago and went to an all girls Catholic private high school. Most of the girls came from a very wealthy parents and who were never around. Drugs were everywhere. Being passed during class etc. I managed to avoid alchohol and drugs. It wasn't my style. But I believe drugs are everywhere. But people seem to feel that there more in Arizona than anywhere else.

We will be in the 85085 zip code and possibly attending the Sandra Day O'Connor High School (she will be in 12th grade) Know of any drug problems in the hs or around this area?

Old 11-13-2006, 10:49 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Sadly, there are drugs available in every middle school and high school in the U.S. If one believes that where they live will protect their children from exposure and temptation they are dangerously misleading themselves. Knowledge and constant vigilance - not moving to one place or another are the best defense. As for being bored here, come on. Teens are bored everywhere. Ever heard this phrase, "These is nothing to do around here."? I think it is the battle cry of adolescence. That may explain why we see it in these posts so frequently.

If your daughter is in 12th grade and is not doing drugs now, she has likely already faced that challenge in her life and successfully managed it. I doubt she would turn into a drug user at this point no matter how bored she might be. It's more about the kid than the school. I don't think you have a lot to be concerned about with either.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 11-13-2006 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-13-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Thanks Ponderosa:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Sadly, there are drugs available in every middle school and high school in the U.S. If one believes that where they live will protect their children from exposure and temptation they are dangerously misleading themselves. Knowledge and constant vigilance - not moving to one place or another are the best defense. As for being bored here, come on. Teens are bored everywhere. Ever heard this phrase, "These is nothing to do around here."? I think it is the battle cry of adolescence. That may explain why we see it in these posts so frequently.

If your daughter is in 12th grade and is not doing drugs now, she has likely already faced that challenge in her life and successfully managed it. I doubt she would turn into a drug user at this point no matter how bored she might be. It's more about the kid than the school. I don't think you have a lot to be concerned about with either.
You're right. She's a good kid, but I know she is still a teenager.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:24 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas View Post
You're right. She's a good kid, but I know she is still a teenager.
You really need to be concerned about the teenage boys in Arizona. Unlike boys in other states, they've got only one thing on their minds!

Old 11-13-2006, 03:51 PM

78 posts, read 421,206 times
I have to agree with Ponderosa...Drugs are everywhere, and alcohol is even more readily available.

Good parenting and being involved are the best deterrents, although certainly not foolproof. My two kids are both in high school, and when they say they're going to a party, we call the parents of who is having the party, and if they're not available, then no party for my kids. They think we're terrible for 'ruining their fun', but kids have to know there's limitations to their freedoms. We trust our kids, and let them have their 'freedom', but not to the point where they're running around who-knows-where. (Thank God for cell phones!)

One concern that I may raise is the fact that it's her last year of high school, and there may be more pressure to make friends..and hopefully that won't lead her to make a bad decision just to fit in.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Ya, I just didn't want to be the one to say it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You really need to be concerned about the teenage boys in Arizona. Unlike boys in other states, they've got only one thing on their minds!
That was one of the other concerns but didn't feel comfortable mentioning it at the time. I think it's america's favorite pass time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area