Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 03:44 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,006,335 times

Advertisements

Not really that much different, it's significantly hotter than you are probably used to so your activities will be more pool related. We have some really great water parks here with Wet n' Wild, Sunsplash, Big Surf and then some more at the Arizona Grand and the Pointe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 05:05 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,644,227 times
Quote:
Typical Outside Activities For Young Kids
Growing up I certainly don't recall any of my friends, myself or our parents declaring that we needed to move out of Arizona for reasons related to not being able to play outside.

We biked all over, walked everywhere, went swimming at public pools and camped out in our backyards. We shot our air rifles, BB guns, bows & arrows and slingshots in the desert. We built forts in the arroyos, had dirt clod fights, and had cow pie frisbee and rock throwing contests. We played football, baseball, kickball, dodgeball, basketball and flew kites in the parks or school grounds nearby.

Crazy us. We played outside in all Arizona seasons.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:50 PM

194 posts, read 293,546 times
Hey! We moved here last fall, from Montana. Kids are 7, 5 and 2. We were also used to being inside 6+ months a year due to cold but then our summers were amazing. We had a 1/2 acre grassy yard which we loved.
But we decided to take the plunge and venture down south. No regrets. My kids rode their bikes from Nov-May, we'd take walks and go to the parks almost everyday (we homeschool), it was awesome! Since the start of summer we've changed things up a bit. We really aren't outside during the day unless we are in our pool. We don't have a yard, but like mentioned, the green belts throughout the communities are awesome for running and getting that energy out. And we are still able to go for a walk or even ride bikes now, we just wait until 7:30 or so when the sun is setting. Just remember lots of water!!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:25 AM

25 posts, read 42,012 times
ElleTea, with all due respect, there is no frustration on my part, we are fully aware we will need to adapt our lifestyle in a new situation, and in no way expect it to be consistent with what we know in Upstate New York. That said - it's important as parents to manage expectations, particularly given we have young children, one of which has a condition which makes it difficult for him to transition between situations. So, I can't think of any better way to manage expectations than to become as informed as possible.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:29 AM

39,178 posts, read 51,494,558 times
You'll spend time and money driving them to various things like the bounce house, splash pads, pizza places with games and tokens, movies, the zoo, waterparks etc. My kids, who were born and raised here, went to various "camps" at the YMCA, horse stables, etc. They also built a "fort" in a wash by our house and spent much of a couple summers there. It's still there, now in use by a new generation. Native kids will not be bothered by the heat all that much and will go out more in summer, while transplant kids will pick up their parents attitude toward it.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:07 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,358,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP46 View Post
ElleTea, with all due respect, there is no frustration on my part, we are fully aware we will need to adapt our lifestyle in a new situation, and in no way expect it to be consistent with what we know in Upstate New York. That said - it's important as parents to manage expectations, particularly given we have young children, one of which has a condition which makes it difficult for him to transition between situations. So, I can't think of any better way to manage expectations than to become as informed as possible.

That's great!

Too many people come here and say "I want to move there and I know it will be different, but I want it to be exactly like I had before" and that is just not likely going to happen. (though people try. Case in point: green lawns)

Old 08-04-2015, 09:14 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,006,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
That's great!

Too many people come here and say "I want to move there and I know it will be different, but I want it to be exactly like I had before" and that is just not likely going to happen. (though people try. Case in point: green lawns)
Green Lawns have been a thing of Phoenix before there were hoards of transplants. Phoenix was always supposed to be green and resemble an oasis, check out some of the nicer urban areas near 7th Ave and Glendale or Encanto Willo etc even drive around Maryvale you can see how it was supposed to look and how it did look for awhile.

In fact the cracked rock landscaping is a newer thing. The newer areas shouldn't have grass I agree, but grass, plants and agriculture have always been a huge part of the lifestyle. Tucson is an example of a town that stayed true to the desert (primarily out of necessity) but it's a completely different look.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:05 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,970,415 times
Exactly what kind of creatures would be lurking in the soil that your kid would encounter??? The only thing in my back yard is ants?? I am not sure I understand the concern.

I have shade trees in the back yard, kids can play year around. Even in the hottest part of the summer you can go to the park in the morning or late evening.

Biking along the canals is always a plus too because its always at least 10 degrees cooler near the water. Just have to deal with the mosquitos this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area