Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,603 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm relocating to Phoenix soon and have narrowed my potential landing place to the Camelback East Village.

I'm a single professional man in is mid-30s, looking for an area that's vibrant, relatively safe, with access to amenities such as grocery stores, local restaurants, parks and gyms.

Camelback East is attractive to me because of location. I want to be relatively close to the airport, downtown PHX, as well as points east (i.e. Tempe and Scottsdale). Basically the places I expect to find entertainment. Camelback East seems to offer that.

Proximity to employment is not a factor as I work in IT consulting.

I'll be flying out next week to find an apartment. Plan to look at Ascent at Papago Park and the Residencies at 4225. My budget is max 1k/mth for a 1br. All I require is covered parking and in unit laundry really. Fairly modern or recently renovated is also a plus. What are some other nice complexes I should target?

In addition to my question about apartment complexes, I'm looking for feedback on how this area aligns to what I'm looking for and the assessment I've made on its location. Any other general thoughts on the neighborhood are definitely welcome too!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 12:29 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2az View Post
Hi, I'm relocating to Phoenix soon and have narrowed my potential landing place to the Camelback East Village.

I'm a single professional man in is mid-30s, looking for an area that's vibrant, relatively safe, with access to amenities such as grocery stores, local restaurants, parks and gyms.

Camelback East is attractive to me because of location. I want to be relatively close to the airport, downtown PHX, as well as points east (i.e. Tempe and Scottsdale). Basically the places I expect to find entertainment. Camelback East seems to offer that.

I'll be flying out next week to find an apartment. Plan to look at Ascent at Papago Park and the Residencies at 4225. My budget is max 1k/mth for a 1br. All I require is covered parking and in unit laundry really. Fairly modern or recently renovated is also a plus. What are some other nice complexes I should target?

In addition to my question about apartment complexes, I'm looking for feedback on how this area aligns to what I'm looking for and the assessment I've made on its location. Any other general thoughts on the neighborhood are definitely welcome too!

Thank you

If you have settled on Camelback East, I'm confused as to why you are looking at Ascent in Papago Park, or Residences at 4225, neither of which are in that area.

There was someone else who was looking at some complexes in Camelback East. Let me see if I can find that thread and link it here.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:18 PM

2,786 posts, read 7,447,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2az View Post

Thank you
The phrase "Camelback East" is an artificial creation of the city's planning department. It's used to describe an arbitrary "urban village" that Phoenix uses for planning purposes; however, it is almost never used in everyday conversation, and many Phoenicians would not even recognize the phrase. More recognizable neighborhoods names would include Biltmore, Arcadia, and Papago Park, but specifying major arterial streets is usually the best way to make sure your intended location is clearly understood.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 PM

According to Google Maps they do fall within the boundaries of Camelback East Village.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The phrase "Camelback East" is an artificial creation of the city's planning department. It's used to describe an arbitrary "urban village" that Phoenix uses for planning purposes; however, it is almost never used in everyday conversation, and many Phoenicians would not even recognize the phrase. More recognizable neighborhoods names would include Biltmore, Arcadia, and Papago Park, but specifying major arterial streets is usually the best way to make sure your intended location is clearly understood.
Ahh ok, this make sense. Appreciate the insight.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:10 PM

I never use those city village boundaries. Most of them, as exit2lef says, have nothing to do with how people refer to certain areas in normal conversation.

The 4225 location is not appealing to me at all. I would be going further north, for sure. The Papago Park area is better, but I still like the idea of the area I think of as Camelback East, which is much further north.

Take a look at this thread and the locations that poster was looking at. https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...l#post40213422

Old 08-07-2015, 04:20 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,708,848 times
"Camelback East Village"? Is that a real thing now?

Old 08-08-2015, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
"Camelback East Village"? Is that a real thing now?
Those "village" designations were set up by the City a long time ago. You can find the map and other info online. I don't know what you mean by a "real thing", but as was indicated to the OP, most residents of the area don't use them in referring to an area or describing an area. Let's not get too far afield from the OP's question.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:04 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times
They exist in the sense that there are Village Planning Committees for each village. The VPCs serve as mini- Planning and Zoning Committees at a regional level. If you see a sign that announces a proposed zoning change in your neighborhood, there is likely to be a public hearing at the VPC.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:15 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,636 times
I live in "Camelback East" and it's fine (more specifically, going by the apartment you listed)... but really spend some time looking at other apartments and consider a few more. Some apartments in my neighborhood seem to be much nicer than the houses around them. To address some of your issues, there are several grocery stores that are very close, as well as smaller specialty stores with more ethnic goods. There are a ton of restaurants around here that are pretty good, and it's also very convenient to Tempe and Scottsdale. There's a greenbelt near my apartment, and Papago Park is very close too. I've seen gyms in the area, but haven't shopped for one so I can't advise you too much on that.
This area is very close to the airport and I frequently see planes landing/taking off up-close, but surprisingly it's not as loud as you would think. I will say that downtown Phoenix is close... but traffic can be so bad that it takes a long time. When I come home, it takes about 10 minutes because I leave work when the roads are dead. Going to work, however, can take 20-45 minutes, with Thursdays being the worst for some reason. If the light rail is an option, there are a couple stations around here with one including a park-and-ride at Gateway CC. I have to drive because of the time I get off work, but would otherwise take the train because it seems to be faster. That being said, I think this area is very convenient to a lot of places for those times you want to branch out, and you have easy access to multiple freeways.

If I were you, I'd add a few more apartments to your list (or at least look into them before you get here): Alanza Place (44th St/McDowell), Courtney Village (48th St/Roosevelt), Ascent at Papago Park (48th St/Van Buren), Arcadia Cove (44th St/Oak) Riverwalk (52nd St/Van Buren) and Papago Vista Apartments (52nd St/Van Buren). I've actually been inside all of them and they're nice. I've seen a lot of others in this area that seem a bit sketchy though. All of those should suit your needs, but you'd need to check prices because those vary so much and they may have specials they don't post online.
I think it's generally a decent area and it seems to be growing more. I don't want to flood your thread, but there's a lot more I could say, especially if you have even more specific details. You can send me a DM if you want and I can try to give you more insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area