Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,132 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving from Illinois to AZ in the near future. We have visited Surprise and are pretty sure that is where we will live. We visited last October and loved it. However, I have gotten a little nervous lately after reading about Section 8 housing/apartments in the area. From experience in our home town the more of those the higher the crime. Does Surprise have a high number of these??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 02:07 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlk1973 View Post
My family will be moving from Illinois to AZ in the near future. We have visited Surprise and are pretty sure that is where we will live. We visited last October and loved it. However, I have gotten a little nervous lately after reading about Section 8 housing/apartments in the area. From experience in our home town the more of those the higher the crime. Does Surprise have a high number of these??
Where did you read about section 8s in the area

Old 08-10-2015, 02:29 PM

One of the forums...not sure which one. It said something along the lines of people moving North into section 8 housing in Surprise. I also read a post about someone "warning" people about the HUD housing (?) and having 20 people living in a house selling drugs. At the end of the post the person said "don't say you weren't warned" about Surprise. I have heard so many good things about Surprise and probably shouldn't let a few comments bother me but we have young children and don't want to make a mistake when we choose a town to move to.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:00 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlk1973 View Post
One of the forums...not sure which one. It said something along the lines of people moving North into section 8 housing in Surprise. I also read a post about someone "warning" people about the HUD housing (?) and having 20 people living in a house selling drugs. At the end of the post the person said "don't say you weren't warned" about Surprise. I have heard so many good things about Surprise and probably shouldn't let a few comments bother me but we have young children and don't want to make a mistake when we choose a town to move to.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about houses, especially in the newer developments. Sure there are probably some crappy neighbors in some areas but I've noticed an overall improvement in my three neighborhoods that seems to correlate to the improved real estate market and more owner occupancy.

I can't really comment on apartments other than to say my neighbor is a maintenance manager at a complex in Surprise and he has some funny/disgusting/trashy stories.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:05 PM

Thanks for your reply. I really didn't even see many apartments when we were there but thought I would ask. The neighborhoods looked really nice so it caught me a little off guard when I read those posts.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:21 AM

I found one of the posts I was talking about. It's in the Surprise AZ forum.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:58 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Surprise has some "meh" areas, with what can only assume includes Section 8 housing. Just keep your distance if you dont want to be in that area and all should be AOK.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:54 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,921 times
I was under the impression based on some time here and there all over the metro area that Surprise is the higher end suburb in the north west. I'd imagine most of the section 8 housing up there would be El Mirage, old and new areas and old Peoria.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:15 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
I just did a quick search and there are websites that will show you section 8 housing that's available in cities. Here's a few in Surprise:

Section 8 housing and apartments for rent in Surprise Maricopa, Arizona

Shows where they are located on a map. This site currently show only 2 houses and apartment complexes in Surprise. You can see the map where they are located. I can tell you those 2 houses are in decent areas for sure.

Perhaps there are other sites that show all section 8 housing in a city. My guess is such housing/apartment rentals are quite spread out in quite a few cities these days.

My understanding is that the purpose of section 8 housing is to move low income people into better/more expensive neighborhoods via "vouchers"(ie tax payer money) who can't afford to live in such areas on their own so section 8 housing often is found in decent areas, not poor areas. And remember....in any place these days you want to rent, I'm guessing you will have quite a few people in apartment complexes mixed in getting welfare/gov support of some kind for their housing, food, etc. in pretty much any city these days so I don't think you can escape what you're trying to escape......people getting section 8, welfare, whatever all the words/acronyms they use these days.....it's all the same thing in the end in my book.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:24 PM

47 posts, read 54,016 times
I live in Surprise. If I were you, I'd be more concerned with the school district and where it's headed if they don't get more money/pass overrides and bonds soon. Transportation has been cut for almost every school in the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area